FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1324844-ua-upsell-offers-business-first-purchase-day-departure-tod-archive.html)

UA-NYC Jun 6, 2012 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by TravellingMan (Post 18708934)
The business model of CO has been vindicated - people are willing to pay hundreds of $$$ to sit in First that they were giving away to Elite passengers for free.

Let's see if PRASM takes a hit in the next few quarters before we pronounce the COdbaUA way a success ;)

LarkSFO Jun 6, 2012 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by TravellingMan (Post 18708934)
Is this just me or what? I would never shell out extra money especially in $100+ to sit in CO First Class. As EEE mentioned, one can get plenty more value for the money they shell out to sit in First. I am really surprised to see people pony up hundreds of $ to sit in First Class (where they do not even use a table cloth anymore)

The business model of CO has been vindicated - people are willing to pay hundreds of $$$ to sit in First that they were giving away to Elite passengers for free.

I really don't like stting in Y on any flight, but especially over 2 hours.

So, yes, for a reasonable (which is a different number for everybody) amount, I will always buy up to F.

I have not had the opportunity to buy up yet this year as I am still 100% in F (with CPU/RPU, saver F awards, and purchased F).

TravellingMan Jun 6, 2012 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 18709192)
I have not had the opportunity to buy up yet this year as I am still 100% in F (with CPU/RPU, saver F awards, and purchased F).

You are a premier traveler since you buy F (or close to F) most of the time. I can never get myself to pay more for the crappy experience. More than the size of the seat, it is the total travel time that is aggravating to me. I will pay more if only they could fly faster :mad:

whytravelsomuch Jun 6, 2012 1:42 pm

I have yet to see these TODs people are talking about.. I've had a few flights in the last week:LAX/LAS that was asking for $129 to upgrade at check in, PHX/DEN that was asking for $199 to upgrade a check in and DEN/LAX asking for $179 to upgrade at check in. That doesnt exactly sound like they are giving away those upgrades.

zcat18 Jun 6, 2012 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Altaflyer (Post 18654167)
No answer to a question posed earlier so I will try again.....

Are TOD upgrades offered on award tickets?

The official line is no, but obviously the experience of others demonstrates that it is unofficially "yes." I called about trying to purchase an upgrade for soon-to-be Mrs. zcat18 and I on an award ticket for the EWR-EZE leg of an upcoming ORD-EWR-EZE trip. Was told by the MP customer service agent that the only way to upgrade on that itinerary would be to essentially purchase another award for that leg for 95k miles/person (no saver award availability exists at this time). As I blew all of my miles on the roundtrip for two people, booking another award is out of the question. I'm hoping that we will be offered an upgrade online at somepoint but am not holding my breath that it will a) be even remotely affordable or b) happen at all.

UA-NYC Jun 13, 2012 11:06 am

A nice TOD

ORD-LGA tomorrow, offering me an $89 upgrade. I'm on a V fare, current spread to cheapest UG fare (Q-up) is $169 o/w. I guess 7D will have to suffice.

chinatraderjmr Jun 13, 2012 11:17 am

Originally Posted by whytravelsomuch (Post 18709937)
I have yet to see these TODs people are talking about.. I've had a few flights in the last week:LAX/LAS that was asking for $129 to upgrade at check in, PHX/DEN that was asking for $199 to upgrade a check in and DEN/LAX asking for $179 to upgrade at check in. That doesnt exactly sound like they are giving away those upgrades.

Same here. Just an example of a few mistakes being blown way way out of proportion.

zcat18 Jun 13, 2012 11:38 am

Not sure this counts as TOD, but:

Purchased ORD-HKG-SIN-NRT-ORD in Y (L fare)

Offered upgrade to C for additional $2,900 each way (declined, obviously)

Used 30,000 miles plus a $600 copay to upgrade the ORD-HKG-SIN sectors. I am showing on United.com and the app as confirmed in seats 13K on the 744 and 3F on the 738.

*edited

cbchicago Jun 13, 2012 11:39 am

Not sure if this has been discussed. With the extra charges for luggage, it is cheaper to do the TOD than paying for the check luggage if you have alot.

Sat next to someone on a DEN -SEA that paid the $200 TOD instead of the $400 for all of his luggage. Oh well.

FlyWorld Jun 13, 2012 11:48 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr (Post 18749978)
Same here. Just an example of a few mistakes being blown way way out of proportion.

Unless I'm mistaken, it seems that I've read a lot of messages describing TOD offers that are much cheaper than the spread from purchased fare class to regularly upgradeable fare class. Doesn't seem like a "few" mistakes and doesn't seem to be out of proportion. To date, I still have only experienced 1 single CPU/UDU UG on COdbaUA and that's > 80% reduction in UG success compared with UAdbaUA era. Sounds quite proportional to me.

chinatraderjmr Jun 13, 2012 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by mitchmu (Post 18750158)
Unless I'm mistaken, it seems that I've read a lot of messages describing TOD offers that are much cheaper than the spread from purchased fare class to regularly upgradeable fare class. Doesn't seem like a "few" mistakes and doesn't seem to be out of proportion. To date, I still have only experienced 1 single CPU/UDU UG on COdbaUA and that's > 80% reduction in UG success compared with UAdbaUA era. Sounds quite proportional to me.

In March there were a number of reports of very cheap TOD buy ups but since then it looks like it has stopped. (my post was in response to the one above mine who said the same thing I did...the post above that reported a TOD of 89.00 for a V fare between LGA-ORD which is not very cheap at all (compared to a QUP) and was offered to an Elite

As for upgrades, don't know why you have such a low success as a 1K. I'm 19/20 on CPU's and 29/30 when I include RPU's. There are plenty of people here that have posted near 100% success w upgrades. Either you have very bad luck or fly only very GS heavy flights

UA-NYC Jun 13, 2012 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr (Post 18750269)
In March there were a number of reports of very cheap TOD buy ups but since then it looks like it has stopped. (my post was in response to the one above mine who said the same thing I did...the post above that reported a TOD of 89.00 for a V fare between LGA-ORD which is not very cheap at all (compared to a QUP) and was offered to an Elite.

We'll agree to disagree here ;) It's a TOD, plain and simple, and they are violating the "fare differential buy-up" that has been stated as the supposed process by company officials.

I challenge anyone to find a published $89 difference from V to Q-up (or other insta-F fare) on this route.

Lack of integrity, plain and simple. Though some would apparently support the brilliant actions of the "bean counters" here.

LarkSFO Jun 13, 2012 1:06 pm

Guys: Discussion belongs elsewhere!

Post your TOD buy-up experiences here (no other discussion)

UA-NYC Jun 13, 2012 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr (Post 18751005)
Seriously. The point was that CHEAP TOD's we're being offered to non Elites and no buy up or more expensive buy ups were being offered to Elites. My point was I don't see that happening any longer. If a buy up is a little cheap AT LEAST it's being offered to all.

It's been documented many times over that non-elites often get even cheaper offers, so my $89 offer could have been $49 for Ma Kettle. Or maybe not - but it's happened enough that the system has lost integrity and can't really be trusted unfortunately.

bmvaughn Jun 13, 2012 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr (Post 18751005)
Seriously. The point was that CHEAP TOD's we're being offered to non Elites and no buy up or more expensive buy ups were being offered to Elites. My point was I don't see that happening any longer. If a buy up is a little cheap AT LEAST it's being offered to all.

Agreed. But it fits so well in some narratives that their legacy will be here long after they have disappeared.