FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1324844-ua-upsell-offers-business-first-purchase-day-departure-tod-archive.html)

787fan Jun 21, 2012 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by PappaShacks (Post 18796898)
DEN-ORD UA 809 6/22

F Booked to 23/24. I'm 3rd on WL. Offered ug at OLCI for $149. On a T fare....

I'm sure I won't clear tmr'w...

I'd say $149 is too high for such a short flight (coming from someone who's used to transcons in Y).

Maybe i'm just eL cheapo

LarkSFO Jun 21, 2012 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by 787fan (Post 18796941)
I'd say $149 is too high for such a short flight (coming from someone who's used to transcons in Y).

Maybe i'm just eL cheapo

I agree, would not pay $149 on this route.

If UA can sell it out at $149 / person, more power to them and I will happily sit in E+!

dimramon Jun 21, 2012 5:57 pm

Never thought the day would come where a 1K doesnt clear on a 777

Den-ord ua371 6/21. S fare. Offered upgrade upon check in at $189. Declined. Checked today, offer changed to $149. Declined, ended up being number 5 on the list.

docbert Jun 23, 2012 11:12 am

Had what I presume was my first run-in with this a few days ago. SJU-IAH-SFO booked as two separate flights on the same ticket (it's the same flight number all the way through). SJU-IAH cleared with an RPU a few days out. IAH-SFO didn't clear and upgrade failed at the 24 hour mark as expected.

No offer of upgrade during check-in. At that time, IAH-SFO was showing 15/20 sold in F, and I was #2.

Upon arrival at IAH, it was showing F as FULL, and I was still #2 with the same person in #1. I can only guess where the extra 5 seats went...

weero Jun 23, 2012 11:46 am

To stay on topic - I have purchased upgrade promos on other airlines this year and I feel it wasn't worth it IMO. Bought one TOD for a friend for whom I got an award ticket and that was money well spent. Less than 200 dollars for a short intl segment but providing all the additional luggage benefits.

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 18791589)
Operators are standing by at TWA, Braniff & Eastern. There's no longer meaningful competition so UA (as well as DL & AA, I mean US) aren't particularly concerned about this.

That comes from flying too much in your domestic sandbox - I had very little trouble getting better treatment, upgrades, lounges, and - by far best of all - fewer US transits since I stopped flying UA.
Internationally, there is a huge amount of competition but I guess that doesn't go with tunnel vision.

And, to be frank there's someone who got a $89 seat in F. That guy is particularly happy w. UA right now.
So everyone is happy then!

The guy who paid nothing+$89 for the K fare in First and the 1K/GS who previously wasted $4K a trip on UA now gets a lot better service and no lengthy phone calls to India for 25% less.

Originally Posted by escapefromphl (Post 18807279)
Could also be Silver/Golds on Y fares.

A natural explanation.

Or grannies who paid up to F for thousands of dollars.

Or we could find some upernatural explanations, they are equally likely than the ones which the FAM/Full Fare apologetics crowed offers here.

bmvaughn Jun 23, 2012 11:48 am

Originally Posted by docbert (Post 18807239)
Had what I presume was my first run-in with this a few days ago. SJU-IAH-SFO booked as two separate flights on the same ticket (it's the same flight number all the way through). SJU-IAH cleared with an RPU a few days out. IAH-SFO didn't clear and upgrade failed at the 24 hour mark as expected.

No offer of upgrade during check-in. At that time, IAH-SFO was showing 15/20 sold in F, and I was #2.

Upon arrival at IAH, it was showing F as FULL, and I was still #2 with the same person in #1. I can only guess where the extra 5 seats went...

Most likely explanation is that they went to people who had higher status/fare than you and who checked in while you weren't monitoring the list. I've checked in and received an upgrade within 20 minutes many times.

docbert Jun 23, 2012 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by bmvaughn (Post 18807410)
Most likely explanation is that they went to people who had higher status/fare than you and who checked in while you weren't monitoring the list. I've checked in and received an upgrade within 20 minutes many times.

1K on a U fare, and at about 5 hours before departure I was #2 on the list. I don't doubt that there could have been others with higher status/fares, but the odds of there being *exactly* 5 people in that category, and all of them checking-in in the 5 hours before the flight, seems unlikely to me.

DrDesmo Jun 23, 2012 12:29 pm

Offered an upgrade to F from LAS > DEN. $59. Declined for the last couple of weeks, shot up ( ? ) to $180 last week.

Cleared 100 hours out, and spent the flight in 1A ^^

Cheers,
Adam

arma5 Jun 23, 2012 5:19 pm

PDX-ORD, 1k, Jun 22. Was offered buy-up from V to F for $200 at the easychicken. Declined. My OLCI started me out at 4th on the waitlist for 5 spots, and I ended up fifth on the waitlist for 0 spots.

First time I've sat in Y on a 757 since a saver award a few years back. On the plus side, I think there really were many elites on the plane.

reddirt14 Jun 23, 2012 7:32 pm

Upgrade to first for $139 from ORD to LAS at check-in, one seat left, 1Ks with Regionals applied were left in the back having to fight to get their Regional Upgrade instruments back. Have to love the new United who doesn't respect it's elites, but it's pretty awesome for the infrequent flyer getting the cheapest available seats them spending a marginal amount more for a first class upgrade.

mherdeg Jun 25, 2012 6:36 am

Flying on today's UA481 LAS-SFO on a saver coach award (XN), I was offered a buy-up to F for $289.

The cheapest currently available revenue F ticket is $491.

The flight was booked 10/12 in F with about 35 people on the upgrade standby list. (I think only about 4 of those were revenue pax. The flight is now booked 12/12 in F; the two people on the upgrade standby list are not on the coach standby list; but most of the other people on the 35-person upgrade standby list also appear on the 49-person coach standby list.)

LASUA1K Jun 25, 2012 7:55 am

Originally Posted by reddirt14 (Post 18809282)
Upgrade to first for $139 from ORD to LAS at check-in, one seat left, 1Ks with Regionals applied were left in the back having to fight to get their Regional Upgrade instruments back. Have to love the new United who doesn't respect it's elites, but it's pretty awesome for the infrequent flyer getting the cheapest available seats them spending a marginal amount more for a first class upgrade.

That flight is hit or miss. If a convention is in town, then its hard for a 1k to get the upgrade, if not, then even silvers get upgraded.

Anyone have any sfo-syd offers? Y to C?

choatie88 Jun 25, 2012 4:43 pm

2012-07-22, ORD-BOS on UA578. V fare. Booked on 2012-06-25 and offered a buy up for $5.

Pretty empty flight with 14 empty seats in F, but still, $5 is ridiculous. I might even be willing to pay $5 just for the "meals" UA serves in F these days.

Edit: They must be having to compete with B6 on that route since P fares are available for $496 round trip on my flights. I paid $386 for my itinerary in V / K. Quite frankly, all else being equal, I'd rather be in B6 than in UA domestic F.

mlx52 Jun 25, 2012 5:01 pm

NRT-ORD. Offered 2,400 to go from Y to F. C was full at check-in time. I was on a W fare.

cfischer Jun 25, 2012 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by mlx52 (Post 18819636)
NRT-ORD. Offered 2,400 to go from Y to F. C was full at check-in time. I was on a W fare.

They offered a straight Y --> F :eek: Never seen this before, only 1 class upgrades @ OLCI.