FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1324844-ua-upsell-offers-business-first-purchase-day-departure-tod-archive.html)

bocastephen May 2, 2015 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 24756693)
That's not a long flight, but wow. That's basically handing away an F seat.

That's not handing away a F seat. The poster is a 1K and should have been upgraded for free from their M fare. That $17 was a sucker punch.

PV_Premier May 2, 2015 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Baze (Post 24756360)
Just keep an eye on it.

and take screenshots of the pending charge and print/screencap a receipt if you got one.

UA-NYC May 3, 2015 6:53 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 24756730)
That's not handing away a F seat. The poster is a 1K and should have been upgraded for free from their M fare. That $17 was a sucker punch.

Only if there was PN space...which there likely wasn't.

Agreed on the sucker punch though...

RNE May 3, 2015 7:31 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 24756730)

Winner of the coveted RNE's Pick for Post of the Week!

Special citation for pugilistic pulchritude.

RNE, congratulating you.

dayone May 3, 2015 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by DLPhoenix (Post 24760186)
My advise: Get the DOT involved (even if UA ratifies the situation).
1) They will force UA to ratify the error or compensate you if it is too late.

Or "rectifies" and "rectify."

Xyzzy May 3, 2015 9:15 pm

A week or so I was offered a $107 upgrade on last-minute EWR-TPA flight. As there was one seat left and I was #1 on the upgrade list I ignored the offer. I saw it two more times, when I checked in and then again when I reprinted my boarding pass. I declined each time. At boarding time I asked the agent whether she was going to upgrade me then or make me move from the back. I got no response. As boarding was completing she came to find me. I'd already noticed the upgrade via the mobile site and moved myself. I was given a huge r:rolleyes:lleyes and handed my new boarding pass.

paule123 May 4, 2015 10:57 am

The TOD logic is amusing. I checked an existing res to see what the upgrade offer would be and the "Buy up to first" tab said no seats available. I then simply moved my E- seat from 24C to 25C and the "Buy up to first" tab now says 9 seats available... ($560, CLE-MCO, LOL)

Boo_Radley May 4, 2015 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Boo_Radley (Post 24716579)
UA270 MSP-DEN 5/3 $59, 1k, V fare, at booking, declined. Funny how $120 for a four hour flight seems like a decent deal, but $60 for a two hour flight isn't.

Update: Missed CPU, ended up either 2nd or 3rd. No big deal, since I was in row 7 anyways.

chris_ny May 4, 2015 4:32 pm

4th May - JFK-LAX PS (6am) - $249.
Q to ZN
1K with UA

Absolutely infuriating. I had already put up 15,000 and $125 to be on the waitlist and I (and presumably everyone else) get to buy up for just $249. This is why it has become impossible to use instruments on the PS routes - my primary reason for sticking with United. I would be jumping ship if there was more Mint inventory on JetBlue.

To add insult to the injury you can't use the stored credit card info in your profile to pay the upcharge - a reminder that they don't know or care who you are.

UA-NYC May 4, 2015 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by chris_ny (Post 24765284)
Q to ZN
1K with UA

Absolutely infuriating. I had already put up 15,000 and $125 to be on the waitlist and I (and presumably everyone else) get to buy up for just $249. This is why it has become impossible to use instruments on the PS routes - my primary reason for sticking with United. I would be jumping ship if there was more Mint inventory on JetBlue.

To add insult to the injury you can't use the stored credit card info in your profile to pay the upcharge - a reminder that they don't know or care who you are.

On the flip side, you'll get your miles and $ back. Though you'll probably have to get your CC issuer involved.

PV_Premier May 4, 2015 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 24765391)
On the flip side, you'll get your miles and $ back.

yeah $249 is a better outcome, though only until the "dynamic awards" go into effect and it costs 150K to fly EWR to FRA in coach as a 1K, but 25K as a GM :rolleyes:

Kacee May 4, 2015 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by chris_ny (Post 24765284)
Q to ZN
1K with UA

Absolutely infuriating. I had already put up 15,000 and $125 to be on the waitlist and I (and presumably everyone else) get to buy up for just $249.

This is just lunacy on UA's part. They're tripping all over themselves to sell you the upgrade for about half what they would have gotten if they'd taken your miles + copay.

I'm almost out of RPUs and would take the $249 buy-up every single time.

chris_ny May 4, 2015 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 24765549)

Me too - but for some reason I don't always get offered it. I am now getting used to sitting near the top of the PS upgrade queue (on an instrument) watching the last third of the front cabin fill up with TODs, ping ping ping.

PsiFighter37 May 4, 2015 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 24765549)
This is just lunacy on UA's part. They're tripping all over themselves to sell you the upgrade for about half what they would have gotten if they'd taken your miles + copay.

I feel like the moral of the story is...never use miles + copay ahead of time unless you really, REALLY want to lock in R availability / position in the waitlist?

It almost seems pointless doing it so far ahead of time otherwise.

Kacee May 4, 2015 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by chris_ny (Post 24765637)
Me too - but for some reason I don't always get offered it. I am now getting used to sitting near the top of the PS upgrade queue (on an instrument) watching the last third of the front cabin fill up with TODs, ping ping ping.

I hear ya. I also much prefer having the confirmed upgrade.

And having watched lots of these flights, I agree with you 100% about how UA is filling the cabin. Routine to see the cabin go from 18/28 to booked full with zero pax showing as upgraded.