FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1324844-ua-upsell-offers-business-first-purchase-day-departure-tod-archive.html)

FlyingSky May 5, 2015 7:15 am

May 6th - EWR-IAD - $59 offered at OLCI (reg. United flight, not express)
K to P
No status

Miles Ahead May 5, 2015 7:20 am

I am traveling ORD-DCA and at purchase there are no TOD's available at purchase. I find this very unusual. Especially as one cabin has all seats free, and is showing F9, and 4 seats available for an instrument upgrade. But no upgrade available with cash.

sfonorth May 5, 2015 8:13 am

TOD buy-up JFK-SFO 5/3/15

$319 offered at OLCI on mobile app for 5/3/15 6:30pm flight from JFK-SFO (L fare). Looking at available fare classes J4

Checked upgrade list after boarding. Only 1 of 5 people cleared their upgrades

eflyte May 5, 2015 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 24765639)
I feel like the moral of the story is...never use miles + copay ahead of time unless you really, REALLY want to lock in R availability / position in the waitlist?

It almost seems pointless doing it so far ahead of time otherwise.

That's what I'm hearing, too. I am flying PVG-LAX (789!) on a cheap fare in early June. Loads look pretty darn light so far. Was considering locking in J w a miles + copay if/when some R opens, but I'm getting the impression I might get a much better deal if I just wait until day of. Roll of the dice, I guess.

PsiFighter37 May 5, 2015 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by eflyte (Post 24771603)
That's what I'm hearing, too. I am flying PVG-LAX (789!) on a cheap fare in early June. Loads look pretty darn light so far. Was considering locking in J w a miles + copay if/when some R opens, but I'm getting the impression I might get a much better deal if I just wait until day of. Roll of the dice, I guess.

Yeah, may as well keep an eye out. I did EWR-BRU earlier this year...put in for the overnight there and was waitlisted, but the return was waitlisted as well. Ended up waiting until a couple weeks before, they opened up several R slots, and I just took it then.

I feel like most of the good TOD deals are on domestic fares (from what little I've seen so far), but maybe I haven't read far back enough in this thread.

ckidder331 May 7, 2015 10:04 am

right now the online upgrade offer for me is $201 for MCO-IAH-LAX

for someone who doesn't fly much, and my company paid for this ticket, I don't mind the $200 for a nice seat on what looks to be a packed Economy section for 5 hours of flying.

What I am wondering is if the ToD online check-in offer will be A LOT less than this? Like something south of $150.

Both flights are F9 and the seat map shows about 12 open out of 20 or 24 seats still not selected. I know these will likely get filled by elites as the day gets closer but maybe not every seat.

Any thoughts?

Superguy May 7, 2015 10:45 am

Originally Posted by ckidder331 (Post 24780827)
right now the online upgrade offer for me is $201 for MCO-IAH-LAX

for someone who doesn't fly much, and my company paid for this ticket, I don't mind the $200 for a nice seat on what looks to be a packed Economy section for 5 hours of flying.

What I am wondering is if the ToD online check-in offer will be A LOT less than this? Like something south of $150.

Both flights are F9 and the seat map shows about 12 open out of 20 or 24 seats still not selected. I know these will likely get filled by elites as the day gets closer but maybe not every seat.

Any thoughts?

That's a reasonable price -if it upgrades both legs. I'd take it - especially if you don't have elite status. That'll cover your bags, a nicer seat, faster check in (not sure if MCO has expedited security for F yet), and maybe a meal/snack. If you're not in E+, I'd say it's worth it.

I wouldn't pay much more for it than that, though. And I wouldn't if only one leg is upgraded.

It's hard to say whether you'd get a cheaper deal or not if you wait. UA's algorithms don't make much sense.

Lori_Q May 7, 2015 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Superguy (Post 24781041)
That's a reasonable price -if it upgrades both legs.

Yes, the initial view of the offer can be deceptive. It may say "From $201", which means the shorter segment is one price, and the longer segment is an additional charge.

I saw this a lot on my DEN-ORD-SBN flights. I would see an upgrade offer of $109. When I clicked on it, the $109 would be for SBN-ORD (flight time: 21 minutes) and $359 or somesuch for ORD-DEN. :(

EsquireFlyer May 7, 2015 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 24765549)
This is just lunacy on UA's part. They're tripping all over themselves to sell you the upgrade for about half what they would have gotten if they'd taken your miles + copay.

I'm almost out of RPUs and would take the $249 buy-up every single time.

Is a ps buy-up usually $249?

PV_Premier May 7, 2015 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer (Post 24781821)
Is a ps buy-up usually $249?

it varies, $249 is not uncommon but it's on the low end of typical. $249-349 range is reported pretty often. however, what is often not reported is the base economy fare class, so it's hard to say how good of a "deal" this really is (i.e, on a U or H fare maybe not a steal, but on a K...)

i'd guess that a round trip Q fare is actually around $500, so UA is still "selling" that BF seat for $1000 if they get $249 each way offers. that's low, but on JFK-LAX i've seen plenty of $1100-1200 discount front cabin fares since the introduction of mint.

edit: just priced out a W fare for a random late May date, JFK-LAX, at $539

ckidder331 May 7, 2015 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy (Post 24781041)
That's a reasonable price -if it upgrades both legs. I'd take it - especially if you don't have elite status. That'll cover your bags, a nicer seat, faster check in (not sure if MCO has expedited security for F yet), and maybe a meal/snack. If you're not in E+, I'd say it's worth it.

I wouldn't pay much more for it than that, though. And I wouldn't if only one leg is upgraded.

It's hard to say whether you'd get a cheaper deal or not if you wait. UA's algorithms don't make much sense.

YES its for both legs which is why I think I am going to jump on it. I'll get a snack on the MCO-IAH leg and Dinner on IAH-LAX and I would be in the back of the plane if not

Kacee May 7, 2015 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 24771671)
I feel like most of the good TOD deals are on domestic fares (from what little I've seen so far), but maybe I haven't read far back enough in this thread.

Correct. There's really no such thing as a TOD (tens of dollars upgrade) on long-haul international.

Someone reported a mistake buy-up offer from SIN-NRT a year or two ago (something like $18), but other than that international buy-ups are almost always $600+. Which can still be a better deal than the miles + co-pay, except they are not predictable. Not uncommon for flights go out with open BF seats and no buy-up offered.

Superguy May 8, 2015 8:49 am

Originally Posted by ckidder331 (Post 24782519)
YES its for both legs which is why I think I am going to jump on it. I'll get a snack on the MCO-IAH leg and Dinner on IAH-LAX and I would be in the back of the plane if not

Yeah, I'd do it then.

Sterndogg May 18, 2015 8:30 am

ORD-BOS on an S fare 6/12/15. Upgrade to F was $129 three days ago...yesterday $100. This morning $37 to an A fare. I probably overpaid but took the bait.

PV_Premier May 18, 2015 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Sterndogg (Post 24832757)
ORD-BOS on an S fare 6/12/15. Upgrade to F was $129 three days ago...yesterday $100. This morning $37 to an A fare. I probably overpaid but took the bait.

get ready to fight with UA against an overcharge. almost 100% chance you'll be charged 10x+ more than what they said you would be paying. hope you took screenshots, at a minimum, screen shot the pending charge on your CC now

more info:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ly-booked.html