Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Waitlisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United
Waitlisting options
  1. Waitlist for alternative flights times / routing
  2. Waitlisting for a different cabin
From the above link on waitlisting for a different cabin: You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Waitlisting can only be done over the phone, not online.
You can not book a standard award and then waitlist for a saver award.
If waitlisting for a higher cabin, best if done at the time of booking or soon afterward.
If done more than 24 hours after booking you may be charged an award change fee.
Generally, the waitlisted class mileage is deducted at time of request and will be refunded if unsuccessful
When waitlisting for a higher, state you are waitlisting for I (or IN if a plat or higher) -- do not use the word "upgrade", it may confuse the agent

If waitlisting for a segment when the rest of the segments are already in the higher cabin, there is no refund if unsuccessful

Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to waitlist for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. The maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
At the airport, if you have not yet cleared for the higher cabin waitlist, you should be listed on the standby upgrade list (your priority on the waitlist is not well understood -- below are some conflicting theories)

Note: The correct priority term here may, in fact, be a code that is one of WAX, WBX, WCX, or WDX depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw
The agent should give you “PR-1 status”* which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with "PR-1 status"* then find another one who will. With this status, the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1* status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).
* note "PR-1" may not be the correct term, see the Wxx note proceeding this section

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seems to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.

Related thread - Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

Archive of past posts - Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2023, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carlosiah
Right now it's showing 43(+6 blocked) capacity is 50.
That generally indicates an oversale that they’re expecting to clear by upgrading 6 passengers.

So I am confused about the waitlist at the airport and the wikis here on FT. According to united rules: “If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in.”

it seems to imply that that there is two list, one that the agent manage and the one we can all see. Is this correct?
At one point in the past, there used to be a hidden list and a visible list. However, since they made the lists visible prior to passengers checking it, it seems that they also consolidated into a single list.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I have a recent data point that getting listed for IN on a CPU-eligible flight has no effect on your position on the website list (pre-24h).

It's interesting to see that it does add you to that list for a Polaris flight.

I honestly have no idea exactly what the list on the website is or how it's generated. I'm 99% sure that in advance of the gate that the computer is just clearing completely separate lists for each booking class.
Old May 26, 2023, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by findark
I have a recent data point that getting listed for IN on a CPU-eligible flight has no effect on your position on the website list (pre-24h).

I honestly have no idea exactly what the list on the website is or how it's generated. I'm 99% sure that in advance of the gate that the computer is just clearing completely separate lists for each booking class.
Totally agree.
From what I read I thought exactly as you are saying, that being waitlisted for IN didn't put you on the public list until check-in. I thought that the public list only showed people using instruments such as plus points of revenue tickets using miles to upgrade waiting for PZ availability. For that reason at the beginning, I was confused as if it was better to see myself on the list competing with those people or just waitlisted for IN competing on a different unpublished list.
From this experience, I can say I am now waitlisted for IN and I can see myself on the list really low, previously when apparently by mistake United waitlisted me for PZ I was higher on the public list.
Old May 26, 2023, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I'm understanding this correctly, I have a contrary experience. Was 2. on list for CPU eligible flight with XN award, saw that IN opened before CPU window, so got waitlisted for IN, fell to last on list, but then cleared into IN a few hours later as desired. So from what I see, getting listed for IN does put you behind all PZ, which I would say makes sense given the inventory sorting.
Old May 26, 2023, 9:11 am

Totally agree.
From what I read I thought exactly as you are saying, that being waitlisted for IN didn't put you on the public list until check-in. I thought that the public list only showed people using instruments such as plus points of revenue tickets using miles to upgrade waiting for PZ availability. For that reason at the beginning, I was confused as if it was better to see myself on the list competing with those people or just waitlisted for IN competing on a different unpublished list.
From this experience, I can say I am now waitlisted for IN and I can see myself on the list really low, previously when apparently by mistake United waitlisted me for PZ I was higher on the public list.
I also want to add that I also thought this because being waitlisted for "I" or IN is different from requesting an upgrade. I thought there was a difference between being waitlisted and requesting an upgrade.
If the case is that being waitlisted is been treated equally or even inferior to requesting an upgrade then I think that the wiki on FT needs to be updated and reflect this.
Which btw totally makes sense for United, why will they prioritize being waitlisted for a business saver award over revenue tickets that are paying even more now to get upgraded? For United it's cheaper to just refund you the difference in miles you already "paid" for.
Again I just feel that FT forums need to be updated and reflect this.
Old May 26, 2023, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I also want to add that I also thought this because being waitlisted for "I" or IN is different from requesting an upgrade. I thought there was a difference between being waitlisted and requesting an upgrade.
If the case is that being waitlisted is been treated equally or even inferior to requesting an upgrade then I think that the wiki on FT needs to be updated and reflect this.
Which btw totally makes sense for United, why will they prioritize being waitlisted for a business saver award over revenue tickets that are paying even more now to get upgraded? For United it's cheaper to just refund you the difference in miles you already "paid" for.
Again I just feel that FT forums need to be updated and reflect this.
It is different from requesting an upgrade. If IN opens before an upgrade can clear (e.g., with CPU routes before the CPU window, or with the new-ish PN>0 PZ0 IN=PN scenario), then IN waitlist moves to the front cabin and upgrade request doesn't.
Old May 26, 2023, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by fumje
If I'm understanding this correctly, I have a contrary experience. Was 2. on list for CPU eligible flight with XN award, saw that IN opened before CPU window, so got waitlisted for IN, fell to last on list, but then cleared into IN a few hours later as desired. So from what I see, getting listed for IN does put you behind all PZ, which I would say makes sense given the inventory sorting.
This actually makes a lot of sense. Before check-in, if you are waitlisted for "I" or IN you are on the list behind PZs, however, this does not affect your chances of getting upgraded because the system may release "I" or "IN" even before it does for PZs given you are greater chance of getting upgraded.

Now what happens after check-in and if you continue to be waitlisted for I/IN is where it gets interesting. Do you then get waitlisted ahead of PZs or behind? Are you put on an unpublished list managed by the agent? Do you need to ask the agent for PR-1 or United has already taken care of this issue and now it's automatic?
Any data point on this?
Old May 26, 2023, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This actually makes a lot of sense. Before check-in, if you are waitlisted for "I" or IN you are on the list behind PZs, however, this does not affect your chances of getting upgraded because the system may release "I" or "IN" even before it does for PZs given you are greater chance of getting upgraded.

Now what happens after check-in and if you continue to be waitlisted for I/IN is where it gets interesting. Do you then get waitlisted ahead of PZs or behind? Are you put on an unpublished list managed by the agent? Do you need to ask the agent for PR-1 or United has already taken care of this issue and now it's automatic?
Any data point on this?
From what I've seen (mentioned above), you go behind all PZ, and you stay there. Check-in doesn't do any kind of list reshuffling any longer, except when people split PNR and the companion's inherited priority could fall. I've not heard of PR-1 being used for quite some time.
Old May 26, 2023, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Extra strange. Were you checked in, or otherwise within the checkin window?

You understand correctly - data point was for a flight weeks in the future, XN class and CPU eligible, and position on the list was the same before and after being waitlisted for IN.
Old May 26, 2023, 10:31 am

You understand correctly - data point was for a flight weeks in the future, XN class and CPU eligible, and position on the list was the same before and after being waitlisted for IN.
How did you know your position on the list for a flight weeks in the future?
If you were waitlisted to IN for a flight weeks before then you wouldn't know your place on the list until like 3 days prior to check-in therefore you wouldn't know if your position changed or not.
Old May 26, 2023, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was well before check-in for my example. Maybe a silly question, but are you certain your instance did actually get IN waitlisted? For example, sometimes I've had a rep say it's done, but it actually wasn't (I have no idea what the rep thinks happened there).
Old May 26, 2023, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How did you know your position on the list for a flight weeks in the future?
Without going into detail, there are ways to get the content of the list on the Flight Status page for flight dates more than 3 days out.

It was well before check-in for my example. Maybe a silly question, but are you certain your instance did actually get IN waitlisted? For example, sometimes I've had a rep say it's done, but it actually wasn't (I have no idea what the rep thinks happened there).
So this made me go back and look at this list.

I think what happened is that the upgrade list for flight status isn't syncing with SHARES in real time. Yes, the list for IN was correct, and now the IN request has dropped to the bottom of the list, after all the CPUs. My best guess is that it took the Flight Status page a little while to get the data from the reservation, so it hadn't updated right after the waitlist was applied.

I still have no idea how this actually affects clearance; before the gate it should be independent queues for PZ and IN, but perhaps the gate list now does explicitly put IN below PZ (inclusive of CPUs). However, I would be mildly skeptical of this, since I think the website code is doing something like merging the lists based on booking class and I would not be surprised if this is completely separate code from anything the reservations system is using. Or maybe agents are all in a new GUI thing that shares the code. Who knows!
Old May 26, 2023, 11:50 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Online I can see the segment shows "Waitlisted United Polaris business (PZ)" This is my confusion, I went to see the waitlist on United website we are #7 and #8 on the waitlist.

Was the waitlist process correct? I was under the impression that Business I waitlist didn't compete with people for PZ and that it was kinda manual process.
I wonder what happens (since it's obviously possible) if you just leave an XN award waitlisted for PZ?
Old May 26, 2023, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I wonder what happens (since it's obviously possible) if you just leave an XN award waitlisted for PZ?
Until it clears, no one will notice or care.

If it clears, either you'll get to sit in J or they'll notice the error at that point (or at check-in) and kick you back to Y. Waitlist clearance often triggers a manual revalidation of the ticket, but in the case of an upgrade waitlist I'm not sure if that's required so I don't know the odds here. The computer doesn't know that PZ is wrong, so it's a question of whether a human is caused to look at it and notice.
jsloan likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 1:50 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Until it clears, no one will notice or care.

If it clears, either you'll get to sit in J or they'll notice the error at that point (or at check-in) and kick you back to Y. Waitlist clearance often triggers a manual revalidation of the ticket, but in the case of an upgrade waitlist I'm not sure if that's required so I don't know the odds here. The computer doesn't know that PZ is wrong, so it's a question of whether a human is caused to look at it and notice.
Yeah I guess my money would be on getting kicked back to Y, unless someone somehow converted the PZ space to I.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.