Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wow, they're sure selling a lot of upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wow, they're sure selling a lot of upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2012, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
It would be nice to get some clarity from UA Insider about whether R bucket availability means that CPU/EUA/UDU upgrades are available or not. I'm observing routes that have a good amount of R availability leading up to and within the upgrade window, however no upgrades appear to be processed. Instead, I receive an upsell offer at check-in instead.

I had previously thought that R worked similar to NF, in that if NF>0 is greater than zero within the upgrade window, I am eligible to receive an upgrade. Apparently this is no longer the case.

Calling the 1K line leads nowhere now. My call was answered by "Continental Platinum desk, may I help you?" The friendly agent was completely clueless about the upgrade process and said that it occurs "behind the scenes" in some black box and the agents are able to check on this discrepancies even when R bucket availability exists. The agent suggested checking at the gate an hour before departure.

The least that United could do is actually explain how this black box works. Because it certainly appears that upsells or TOD upgrades are prioritized ahead of any elite upgrades even when R availablity exists. If this is the new reality, that's fine. United is a business that can do whatever they want. However, I would also like to know the new way forward so that I can vote with my feet. All I want is some honesty here.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by bldr1k
There is a reason Continental had very few top-end elites...

I have 4 flights this week and it doesn't look like I will get upgraded on any of them (0 for 2 so far).

Prior to this week my upgrade percentage was above 90%.

No upgrades = no reason to fly on United for many people.

As the above poster said, I have no issue with this policy. I just with they would not lie about it so blatantly. Of course this is marketing 101.
CO was based in IAH/EWR/CLE. Often the only game in town.

CO could treat elites poorly and got away from it.

SMI/J can happily collect his $59 upgrade revenue from some once-a-year flyer. He has every right to do that. Just be honest with us.

Before you give UA $2300 for Y or $12000 for J ticket to Asia, think twice.

On your next personal vacation, someone who is willing to pay $59 will sit in F and you stay in coach.

Every indication shows that long time loyalty is no longer valued by COdbaUA.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 4:35 pm

I am not a UA elite- heck UDU is practically unheard of in my side of the world, but the way I look at it:

You paid for an economy ticket. You should, unless you are using instruments of some sort, expect to fly in economy. If there are people paying for first class, they should be entitled to F. This includes "TOD" upgrades. Not sure why people on here feel that UA should be obliged to give away something for free when other people are willing to pay for the same product.

Here in Australia, unless you paid for a first (business) ticket, or upgraded using miles etc, back of the bus you go. Yes, even for top tiers.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
I am not a UA elite- heck UDU is practically unheard of in my side of the world, but the way I look at it:

You paid for an economy ticket. You should, unless you are using instruments of some sort, expect to fly in economy. If there are people paying for first class, they should be entitled to F. This includes "TOD" upgrades. Not sure why people on here feel that UA should be obliged to give away something for free when other people are willing to pay for the same product.

Here in Australia, unless you paid for a first (business) ticket, or upgraded using miles etc, back of the bus you go. Yes, even for top tiers.
If you bothered to read the thread, the issue is that elites are not even being OFFERED the TOD upgrades, which many elites would be fine paying if this is the new way forward.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 1MM

The problem is: United is on record saying that TODs (I'm not talking about the $450 upgrade to A here) will not be offered before all elites waitlisted for an upgrade are cleared into F.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 4:43 pm
Used to be MJ-bos

Programs: AA ExecPlat, COdbaUA 1P & 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, Avis 1st

Yes, that's how it used to be ... which was fine, instruments or no upgrade, and I think many of us are saying we prefer going back to that.

This new CPU/UDU system and auctioning off 1st class like AirTran or USAir does (yes, I actually witnessed this happen once ... "we have 3 seats left, sit up front for only $98... " ) is just further downgrading the overall product ... as if that hasn't already happened... prepackaged crackers & cookies ...
Old Mar 5, 2012, 4:43 pm

The US is a little different due to the sheer volumn of daily flights and number of major cities/destinations served.

One note is that we are not complaining about someone that purchases an Upgradeable YBM fare. What has happened is a General Member pays lets say $250 for a roundtrip then at check in is offered lets say $59 to upgrade to First. So they are likely paying no where near what a full fare coach or F ticket would cost and additionally the elite member on the waitlist does not receive the same offer to upgrade for $59 because they are on the waitlist.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat; Marriott Plat: Hilton Gold
So what are our options - and who would be best to fly at this point?

DL or AA?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by Nicksterguy

DL or AA?
Continental still, just don't give them your MP# until after you TOD the flight

Seriously, I think a former 1K going with the cheapest carrier will give you mid-tier status on serveral airlines. Might be a better path going forward.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 4:48 pm

DL or AA?
Exactly, mergers have killed our options. Sure you have AS, B6, VX, and WN but they offer little to no international presence. You always have US where F is much cheaper and you essentially get what you pay for.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
GS friend flew this morning IAD to LAX and was over 20th on UDU list at gate. Sat in Y to LAX.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 5:18 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by kb1992
CO was based in IAH/EWR/CLE. Often the only game in town.

CO could treat elites poorly and got away from it.
Nail. Hammer. Head.

Pre *A CO had two major fortress hubs, as well as a well defended "hublett" , and could often rely on their massive scheduling advantage in wooing customers, or if viewed from the cynic's perspective, could get away with more in terms of charging more and providing less in terms of loyalty perks as there was no other [viable non-stop] choice.

Hence why one sees far less emphasis on long term customer loyalty in favor of the short term "what are you doing for me now" as CO never had to "earn" their bread and butter customers with loyalty as they had them by the you-know-whats in terms of scheduling.

FWIW I would have done the exact same thing should I have been running Continental Airlines Air IAH/EWR/CLE 'back in the day, however they *must* realize they can't get away with same mentality which served CO so well back in the day.

The PMUA customer base, based on my *very* limited experience as both a 1K and CO Plat long before this merge non-sense ever started, was far more on their game then their CO counterparts as UA recognized customers had a choice and they'd have to consistently earn business both now and in the future. As such, they created a program which rewarded those customers who engaged with it and engendered their loyalty all while CO sought to "socialize" the benefits of OnePass, and now I fear, M+.

Hopefully management knows what they're doing and has accurately read the market as I suspect the UA customer base at, particularly those at LAX, DEN, ORD, are keenly aware of their other non-stop options.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 5:28 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

DL or AA?
Domestically both DL and AA seem to be better (for Diamonds and Ex Plats) then the new United (aka the old Continental). Internationally they are all the same and upgrades are hard to get.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TG Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ramblers63
If you bothered to read the thread, the issue is that elites are not even being OFFERED the TOD upgrades, which many elites would be fine paying if this is the new way forward.
^+1
Old Mar 5, 2012, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
GS friend flew this morning IAD to LAX and was over 20th on UDU list at gate. Sat in Y to LAX.
Wow That's really horrible. :/ I'd be pretty angry as a GS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.