Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wow, they're sure selling a lot of upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wow, they're sure selling a lot of upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA 1PP MM
Originally Posted by phlflyer10
And how is this different than the organization that employs you and issues your paycheck each month?

Lest you forget - UA/CO is a for profit entity and therefore the $$$$ is king - - they aren't running a charity. Last time I checked, you pay the same price at Sears for a refrigerator as I do, regardless of how much either of us shops there.

So if they can sell a seat for $69 and generate additional revenue on the flight - why wouldn't they do that rather than give it away? If they give the seat away - that generates zero net additional revenue - if they sell it - that generates $$$$. Hmmm - how much does the company you work for give away for free?

Bottom line - you are a customer - the airline you fly is a for profit business. If you don't like it - take your business elsewhere. But this whole mentality of "they owe me something because I give them so much of my life" is just laughable.
Sears hasn't been telling us for 20yrs that if we buy all are fridges at Sears we'll get X,Y and Z. CO/UA has!

Not only did we buy the fridge, sometimes we payed alot more for it - someties we went way out of our way to buy it.

We all pay our $69 and more each year. we just want our X,Y & Z.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL DM
And how is this different than the organization that employs you and issues your paycheck each month?

Lest you forget - UA/CO is a for profit entity and therefore the $$$$ is king - - they aren't running a charity. Last time I checked, you pay the same price at Sears for a refrigerator as I do, regardless of how much either of us shops there.

So if they can sell a seat for $69 and generate additional revenue on the flight - why wouldn't they do that rather than give it away? If they give the seat away - that generates zero net additional revenue - if they sell it - that generates $$$$. Hmmm - how much does the company you work for give away for free?

Bottom line - you are a customer - the airline you fly is a for profit business. If you don't like it - take your business elsewhere. But this whole mentality of "they owe me something because I give them so much of my life" is just laughable.
How often do you buy a refrigerator? So are you saying that generating $59/seat/flight is worth losing thousands of dollars from loyal flyers?

There are plenty of different business's that use loyalty perks to generate/retain business. Most of the automotive and hotel industry has loyalty perks, and the retail industry has certain perks as well.

A business should look to retain loyal customers for the long run, not go for the quick buck.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:52 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
But this whole mentality of "they owe me something because I give them so much of my life" is just laughable.
Yeah the thing is GS and higher spending 1K's are pretty valuable, not all, but some might spend well into 6 figures over the course of a lifetime. So it's really just economics. I don't know how much UA stands to make off TOD upgrades but it better be a lot.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Last Christmas, I flew SAT-IAH-EWR. I was offered a $99 upgrade at check-in to Business-First on the 767 IAH-EWR. It was a light travel day (Saturday) so I'm sure there were few elites on that flight. Of course I took the upgrade. I was also offered an upgrade in SAT-IAH for $29 - I passed. On my return EWR-SAT flight I was offered upgrade for $700 - I passed.

I'm ok with this policy if:
1) Elites have an opportunity to purchase an upgrade before non-elites
2) Elites have a choice of pay to get upgraded now, or get on the waitlist
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by avidflyer
This is just not true. The employees who told you that are wrong. It goes by fare class within elite level. A silver who pays myre for a ticket only trumps another silver. I agree the misinformation is incredible in this thread. There have clearly been some planned and unplanned issues with CPUs running and how the gate lottery is working but that does not mean it is policy. I trust they will sort this out and for UAInsiders part, she has been updating the master thread regularly and has said they turned off the CPU system for a couple of days.
Well, then four CO employees were wrong as I got the same answer from all of them. At the CO United Club at LAX terminal 6 I was told that being a 1K does not hold any value when it comes to upgrades, if a silver paid a $1.50 more for their Y seat then they get the F seat. There are other aspects of being a 1K that has gone down too but those are best mentioned in a different thread. I've got 10 round trip flights booked into next month so my changing airlines at this point is out of the question.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by blue47
There is a lot of misinformation on this thread. I hope that the OP posts whether he/she got the upgrade. And if no upgrade, I hope the OP pm's the details to UAInsider.
Indeed. Specifically this point about elites not being offered the upgrades. I certainly am offered them - I took advantage of one as outlined in this post, and for my flight tomorrow I'm being offered to upgrade to F for $89 on ORD-LGA:

I'm flying DFW-ORD-LGA, confirmed in F on DFW-ORD through CPU ( - according to the alarmist tone here).

Still looks like a programming issue to me, as described by UA Insider in the thread I linked to above: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...only-time.html
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Joeonthego
Well, then four CO employees were wrong as I got the same answer from all of them. At the CO United Club at LAX terminal 6 I was told that being a 1K does not hold any value when it comes to upgrades, if a silver paid a $1.50 more for their Y seat then they get the F seat. There are other aspects of being a 1K that has gone down too but those are best mentioned in a different thread. I've got 10 round trip flights booked into next month so my changing airlines at this point is out of the question.
This is absolutely not the case. That silver member will go ahead of a 1K if they are on a Y or B fare, but that's it. The four UNITED agents that you spoke to are wrong - it's a simple as that.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
There seem to be (at least) two separate issues being discussed in this thread:

1. UA is offering paid upgrades before filling F with elites via UDUs (and other upgrade instruments?).
2. UA is offering these paid upgrades to folks other than elites, so that it seems that the non-elites can fill the F seats and the elites are left hanging. And it's being done in a pretty non-transparent manner

Now, I'm not happy with either of these, but it seems that some folks will be fine as long as elites get equal or preferable treatment for the paid upgrades.

So what I think will happen is that, sooner or later, UA will make a transparent policy that it will offer paid upgrades to everyone before elites can fill the F seats with UDUs. Very probably it will offer them in staggered stages, with highest elites getting the choice first. Perhaps to maintain a fig leaf of respectability for UDUs, it will save a few seats in F for folks using UDUs.

All of this will be an enhancement, in response to customer feedback. And indeed some folks will be happy with the transparency and a bite at the apple.
You're missing #3 which is the fact that selling upgrades for ToD significantly degrades and diminishes the value of the loyalty program. There is a sizable cost to UA in lost loyalty when they sell ToD upgrades. However, that cost isn't realized immediately, only over a longer term, so the accountants probably think ToD is a brilliant idea.

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
However, this will represent a clear deterioration in the program that will continue to frustrate those of us unhappy with #1. But it will placate those in category #2, yield additional revenue and continue the value of maintaining status.
I disagree that ToD upgrades will yield additional revenue in the long term.

UA doesn't owe us anything, and similarly, we don't owe UA anything. The only thing between us is a contract that is formed when we purchase a ticket AND a loyalty program. There is value to UA in the UDU program and ToD upgrades diminish that value. If they offered the upgrades for a reasonable amount every time (certainly not ToD. The difference between the paid fare and the appropriate instant upgrade YBM fare comes to mind as Insider has stated it should function) there would be no problems.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
So basically from what we see here, we're going to lose our upgrades to people who pay tens of dollars on any given flight. 47 people on the waitlist for ORD-LGA, but they're trying to sell an upgrade for $89? There's probably a GS on the top of the waitlist that's going to be denied the upgrade when the kayaker purchases it.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Yterm[/I].
UA doesn't owe us anything,
UA owes me exactly what I thought I was getting when I took a chance on an upgrade using my last CR1 from BWI to SFO and was waitlisted, but confirmed from SFO to LAS. Had I known that my CR1 could be trumped by a buy-up at the last minute I wouldn't have burned the CR1 for a confirmation on just the short haul, taking a chance on the longer segment. The rules that I was playing by were that I would be higher on the list than most other upgrader's since I was using an instrument. I earned these CR1's the hard way and to now find out that someone with no status may just get their wish before me is pretty C.S.! By the way, I'm sick and tired of people saying that I didn't earn these things and therefore UA owes me nothing! They owe me exactly what they promised me in the recent crap that I got in the mail and that was a repayment for my loyalty!!!

Last edited by LilAbner; Mar 5, 2012 at 9:55 pm
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I flew back from SEA yesterday (4 March) via ORD to IAD. At online check-in I was offered to purchase an upgrade for $489 SEA-ORD and $289 from ORD-IAD. I declined and was CPU'd SEA-ORD at the airport and was #8 of 21 on the ORD-IAD flight. The one guy who got the last seat was CPUd.

I mention this because I'm not sure the upgrade system is broken. The cost for upgrades on my flights made since having bought an L fare.

Bottom line - I do not like offering to purchase upgrades when people are on a waitlist. I truly believe it diminishes the importance of the loyalty program. If people follow through on their threats to jump to other airlines and this happens in rather "large" quantities than maybe this process will change.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: UAL 1k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond,Delta Medallion, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold,Avis preferred
How did you get the offer? Was it by email? Never seen one....
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:05 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Gbegbe
How did you get the offer? Was it by email? Never seen one....
I checked-in via mobile.united.com and it was a button or two above where I could change my seats. It says something like "Upgrade for $298". That same linke also appears online and it's next to the link that allows you to purchase miles.

If you're not seeing it that gives credence to concerns that the system isn't working correctly because many elites have complained that they aren't offered this upgrade when they're on the stand-by/waitlist for upgrades.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:06 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Originally Posted by Jorgen
Well, personally, I think this is a move in the right direction.

UDUs were, in the scheme of things, a dumb idea. All it did was to create a class of 1Ks who, instead of being pleasantly surprised to get the occasional upgrade, got so many upgrades that they rapidly started to think of upgrades as their right and instead to be disappointed when they didn't get "their" upgrades. How dare the airline *not* give me something which sells for three times what I paid for it?

Note that it doesn't work like this in any other industry -- you can't go round buying a lot of cheaper products and expect them to instantly start giving you a much more expensive version instead. Buying a lot of Camrys doesn't mean that you suddenly start getting LS460s for the same price.

Worse still, the folks who were getting all the free upgrades are to a large extent the same folks who used to be paying for the first class seats, so the airline has suddenly screwed itself out of a lot of extra money in exchange for a bunch of "loyal" customers who cry every time they don't get more than they paid for. And with the average First Class seat all of a sudden being filled by someone paying an economy-class fare, they're forced to cut the quality of the service, causing them to cry even more.

This is the way that they'll turn First Class back into a profit centre, and hopefully eventually into something that actually deserves the name. They know they can't fill every seat at a First-Class fare, but at a hundred bucks a pop they easily can. They won't abolish UDUs, not just yet, but they will break down the expectation of getting one, and slowly tune the upgrade price to get to the point where UDU is, as it should be, an occasional surprise instead of an expectation. They won't do it too fast in order to avoid losing too many to the other airlines, but they'll do it.

Anyway, if the net result is a VX-quality first class cabin, eventually selling for VX-type prices, then I'm all for it in my capacity both as a passenger and as someone who doesn't want to see the airline go broke.
ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY AGREE ^ I know it hurts everyone but an airline not making money will soon me you have no elite status when the airline folds.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:07 pm

The worse part of this scenario is that the Rube turns right when boarding our 757 before being redirected to my FC seat!

Originally Posted by JHIN
ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY AGREE ^ I know it hurts everyone but an airline not making money will soon me you have no elite status when the airline folds.
Well then I propose that you just skedaddle right back on over to AA where your money, status, and opinions will get them out of bankruptcy!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 6, 2012 at 2:47 am Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.