Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wow, they're sure selling a lot of upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wow, they're sure selling a lot of upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:29 pm
Used to be MJ-bos

Programs: AA ExecPlat, COdbaUA 1P & 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, Avis 1st
Wow, this sounds a lot like the posts we all made when UDU started ... go back a few years and look at what's happened ... FC has gone to hell. Meal service trimmed, meal choices limited at best, Canyon Road wine (that I can buy for 4.49/bottle)... no, this isn't FC, not what it was 15.. 10... even 5 years ago while in BK!

The 500mile e-upgrades were awesome. Every 10k miles flown you got a set of 4. You used them JUDICIOUSLY or, when it really mattered, you bought more with miles or with cash ($50 each, $200 set of 4), or you used miles to upgrade trans-con flights, or used CR-1.

This auto upgrading of everything is unnecessary, creates more of a mess overall, and generates BAD WILL with customers.

UA INSIDER are you sharing the dozens of threads like this one with the team in WHQ?

I'm VERY SERIOUSLY looking at following a large number of folks I know and status-matching on another airline and moving away from UA. Which may actually help the rest of the folks left ... one less 1K competing for dwindling benefits.

It's this kind of stuff ... the devaluation of my perceived value as a MM 1K, decrease in overall customer service (gate agents, RCC matrons, FAs), plus the small, overcrowded, dingy terminals in SAN, DFW, BOS-C, IAD...

I'm just really frustrated and disappointed. 30k domestic miles YTD and it just keeps getting worse.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by thegrailer
Wouldn't everyone on the upgrade list be elite?
Yes, and that's my point.
The new UA evidently thinks that everyone is ignorant as to what they are doing, I guess?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by LilAbner
The new UA evidently thinks that everyone is ignorant as to what they are doing, I guess?
They take us for fools.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by danM
Well, at least you'll all have the nice E+ seats vacated for you by us 2P's. Sheesh.. Are they trying to alienate _all_ of their most-frequent customers in the same week?
Yes. I am not sure what is worse here, whether this is being done on purpose, or it is a system issue. Either way, I now want out

Shame I have already six trips booked between now and end of June ...
Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:37 pm

On an unrelated note, I'm sure anybody on tonight's (3/5) SEA-IAD redeye would clear their upgrade, even if everybody in Y paid for a TOD.

Somebody please tell me this is a glitch, otherwise why am I not flying SEA-IAD tonight...

Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by dboston
I guess this is a reason to use CR1s?
Nice guess, but no cigar!

And just how many do you think you'll get this year.

Try --- 2 at 75K and 2 more when you make 1K, if you make the grade? Beside there is NO guarantee that and upgrades will be available when you pull the trigger on your purchase.

Using 6 of my SWU's are in the cards for me from now on, in domestic, as I'm not biting on the "W" & higher and an increase in $ to get on a wait-list for an international purchase.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by MJ-bos
UA INSIDER are you sharing the dozens of threads like this one with the team in WHQ?
Sorry but do you think UA is going to drastically shift policy/procedure because FT'ers complain. Unfortunately everyone that is outraged at some of these changes has to seriously move to other airlines and hope that UA's bottom line plummets so much so that they have to reconsider their strategy.

Originally Posted by LilAbner
Pretty much, and to be honest remember that we are a small majority of fliers. I know not everyone is oblivious but certainly not everyone understands the in's/out's of the policies like we do.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by amartin1979
They take us for fools.
They think that

(1) you have no choice as hub captives

(2) you have low IQs and can't read what's going on

(3) you are too lazy to switch airlines
Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by gba
I'm flying SEA-IAD today on a 757. Checked in at T-24 and noticed that only 13 seats had been booked. Was offered to buy an upgrade for $99. As departure approaches, 21 seats are how booked, 5 people show as cleared (who were never on the waitlist...not sure where they came from) and I'm starting to drop down the waitlist. I don't think I missed an upgrade on a 757 on PMUA (certainly not one is >10 seats available at T-24) as a 1K.

Is this a cutover waitlist problem? Or is the new United really going to try to squeeze every last drop out of the front cabin? If they're selling upgrades to GMs for $99 on a transcon (and for all I know, maybe they're charging them more), I think elite upgrades are going to be few and far between...
Well, did you end up getting the upgrade or not? That's the ultimate measuring stick of whether the program impacts elites or not.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
They're not playing us for fools, I don't think we give the decision makers enough credit sometimes. Believe it or not UA has some JDs and MBAs to match the backseat drivers we have on FT. Once UA and CO were able to look at each other's books and internal policies I would like to think they made decisions that ultimately helped their bottom line. That's what all of us in the end want, an airline that can afford to fly where we want them to. Would I love to fly in F on every flight? Absolutely! Do I understand that this airline has evolved from losing money to making it while facing huge shifts in oil prices? Absolutely.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 2mm
Ditto

[QUOTE=MJ-bos;
I'm just really frustrated and disappointed. 30k domestic miles YTD and it just keeps getting worse.[/QUOTE]

1K and was recently something like #20 for an upgrade from DEN to LAX. I have 6 SWU certificates that are utterly useless unless one flies from nowhere to nowhere on a domestic flight.

I just booked HNL to NRT and for the first time in many years selected a flight based on carrier reputation instead of CO (sorry UA, I miss CO as does every flight crew I've spoken with). Alas, this will be my last 1K year -- as near as I can tell, my status only provides me with a lottery ticket. Except, the odds appear better with the lottery.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:51 pm

OMG! I just now got my upgrade for Weds 6:15 a.m. (B757) flight ---
Moved from 7D to 2B but was required to answer "Yes" I am exit row qualified!

I guess if there is a situation I will need to haul a$$ back to economy and trigger the hatch?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I don't think anyone has to report anything to CO management, I am certain that they are getting daily/weekly reports of the close in t-24 a) PAID upgrade percentages and the B) amount of UDU upgrades. The objective, which would be easily shown in such reports would be that A is rising, and the B is falling. Exactly what their expectation MUST be based on the new policies and practices.

I can only imagine that 1K's and F boarding in group 5 is an effort to force paid at the gate baggage check.

Okay, that last bit was a bit tongue in cheek, but whose to say it doesn't happen.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Per UA Insider's assertions, doesn't this mean there's more F seats than eligible elites so all elites will clear anyway?

Will UA Insider look into it before UA purges the required information from their systems?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: United Gold
I could care less what the upgrade policy is, UA can make it whatever they want. All I want is for UA to be honest about what their upgrade policy actually is, so I can make an informed decision on whether or not I remain loyal customer with UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.