Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wow, they're sure selling a lot of upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wow, they're sure selling a lot of upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2012, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by TimF1975
How is that possible? I paid $69 for an upgrade today and when I boarded there were 30 people on the upgrade wait list. None of those 30 were elites?
My first point was in reference to cases like this investigated well before the merger integration. As in my 2nd point, something appears to be off in the logic, because this sounds to be far worse than any of the one off buyups that people complained about every few weeks previously
Old Mar 5, 2012, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by gengar

Your logic is also not sound because you dismiss that many elites pay significant premiums to reach their elite thresholds, so the cost of elite benefits is already built in. For many elites, UDU does not represent a "free" upgrade. Additionally, many elites are miffed not because of having to pay for upgrades, but because they are not given the same option to buy-up that non-elites are.
+1

I guess we and UA management will see how this all pans out. If in fact free domestic upgrades just become an occasional experience (at that) for folks who previously received them more frequently, it removes a big incentive to fly UA at all, including for some of us on international J fares that generate significant revenue for the airline. In which case, lots of competitors stand to benefit.

For my own travel patterns and priorities, I've already shifted a lot of business to AA over the past few years and now prioritize maintaining AA status over UA if one has to go. And if the AA FF program significantly declines, the next move is Jet Blue for the superior leg room or VX for the superior service and experience.

Now, perhaps even with losing some passengers and revenue this way, these changes will still make bottom line sense for UA. But, again, that remains to be seen.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by TimF1975
How is that possible? I paid $69 for an upgrade today and when I boarded there were 30 people on the upgrade wait list. None of those 30 were elites?
What was the route, fare and booking class?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I guess this is a reason to use CR1s?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by N1120A
If this becomes something I see in practice, there is no question I will jump to AA. My travel patterns are not such that loyalty to UA means a thing anymore. I can easily use DL or AA to accomplish the same travel. I'm the kind of customer they actually do have to fight for. Oh well.
I have already done the Plat challenge over to the dAArkside. I took a good look at the ''changes we will like'' and decided that, in fact, we would not like them. And those changes just keep coming.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Wouldn't everyone on the upgrade list be elite?

Originally Posted by LilAbner
How do you know what status they have!
Old Mar 5, 2012, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by dboston
I guess this is a reason to use CR1s?
Except that effective 2012, COdbaUA has

(1) reduced 100K flyers CR1 earning by 50%.

(2) eliminated Million Miler CR1 annual earning.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
By the way, as someone who jumped from AA to CO several years ago, I am trying to stay optimistic. Given how much AA has cut service in BOS, it still seems like it was the right move.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: 1K on UA, Platinum on CO
Originally Posted by Beerman92
UA believes that you don't have other options. .
It is not UA that believes this it is CO - CO never had to really deal with competition - it had a single hub orientation (don't tell me about EWR and CLE). You can treat people like crap if you are the only game in town.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1PP MM
Originally Posted by Dr_Adventure
It is not UA that believes this it is CO - CO never had to really deal with competition - it had a single hub orientation (don't tell me about EWR and CLE). You can treat people like crap if you are the only game in town.
I'm IAH based, I never paid more for a non-stop than the competition was offering for a 1 stop.

The new upgrade rules (which I DON"T like!) are not the old CO rules.

The old CO rules were pure Status with ticket price within status as the rule breaker.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, BA GGL
UDU was a bad idea from the start. When we used to have e500's, you had to manage your upgrade instruments more carefully and expectations were set accordingly. The new scheme means even more disappointment for everyone.

And I'll say this: if one of my managers was alienating all the good customers in favor of a smaller number of impulse purchasers, then he/she would be fired.

As someone who regularly buys FJYBM tickets, I'm just not seeing the loyalty from UA. Therefore they shouldn't expect it in return. My AA EXP card looks pretty good in my wallet. Works well too...
Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:19 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by BE-58

As someone who regularly buys FJYBM tickets, I'm just not seeing the loyalty from UA. Therefore they shouldn't expect it in return. My AA EXP card looks pretty good in my wallet. Works well too...

And wifi!
Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG G, #1 CG 5☆
We can make changes too, and I think SMI/J will like them :-)

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
+1

I guess we and UA management will see how this all pans out. If in fact free domestic upgrades just become an occasional experience (at that) for folks who previously received them more frequently, it removes a big incentive to fly UA at all, including for some of us on international J fares that generate significant revenue for the airline. In which case, lots of competitors stand to benefit.
^ +1 If UDUs are devalued and you really care, see what competition is doing. As mentioned, PMUA did not start UDUs, they just responded to them. Glenn and Jeff were both in favor of consolidation, were we once had six airlines to choose from, we now have half as many. CO is clearly gutting the old PMUA, culture wars included. For those who think that 500-milers were better, welcome to AA. For those who value UDUs, one could roll the dice with DL. And for everyone who absolutely can't part with E+, welcome to CO dba UA. Both AA and DL are bringing in more E+ (more Preferred Plus and Econ Comfort going forward) if that helps. I don't see CO relenting, they have already shown 1 and 2Ps how they feel (both AA and DL are clearly better now for 1 and 2Ps) and they are simply taking the next step going after 1Ks (UDUs, CR1, "Premier" vs. 1K etc). Maybe their marketing presentations showed that they should care more about GMs than retaining 1Ks, who knows? It's not like we can call them up anymore with the new hold times being what they are and the fact that we have CO people answering the 1K phone line...
Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents, UA Plat, IHG Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by njcommodore
What was the route, fare and booking class?
ORD-IAD. I'm a GM and fare was E. Flight boarded with two open seats in F so the FA went to look for the two folks who got upgrades. One guy declined because he couldn't move his bag since the overhead bin was full.

I was surprised that I could go past 30 elites for what will amount to a rounding error on my expense report...
Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold, peon everywhere else
Well, at least you'll all have the nice E+ seats vacated for you by us 2P's. Sheesh.. Are they trying to alienate _all_ of their most-frequent customers in the same week?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.