Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wow, they're sure selling a lot of upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wow, they're sure selling a lot of upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:35 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by LilAbner
UA owes me exactly what I thought I was getting when I took a chance on an upgrade using my last CR1 from BWI to SFO and was waitlisted, but confirmed from SFO to LAS. Had I known that my CR1 could be trumped by a buy-up at the last minute I wouldn't have burned the CR1 for a confirmation on just the short haul, taking a chance on the longer segment. The rules that I was playing by were that I would be higher on the list than most other upgrader's since I was using an instrument. I earned these CR1's the hard way and to now find out that someone with no status may just get their wish before me is pretty C.S.! By the way, I'm sick and tired of people saying that I didn't earn these things and therefore UA owes me nothing! They owe me exactly what they promised me in the recent crap that I got in the mail and that was a repayment for my loyalty!!!
Originally Posted by LilAbner
I'm changing my mind slightly --- If UA can get $700.00 (as mentioned above) at the time of purchase for an UG, I say good for them. My beef is the $39/$59/$79/or $109 at check in time when GS and 1K's have been on the list for 4 or 5 days. Deeply discounted upgrades scalped in the last 24 hours, when very high status and loyal customers are waiting for the "Promised Land" is just plain C.S.!

They may as well send their scalpers to the gate readers and get whatever they can for their FC seats!
I think we're saying the same thing ^

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
I have no problem with UA offering buy-ups, provided that one of the following criteria is met:
(1) The cost of the buy-up represents the difference between the fare actually paid and at least the cost of the least expensive first class fare actually available for sale at the time of the buy-up (including, if applicable an instant Y-up fare); or

(2) The cost of the buy-up is any amount, including an amount less than #1 (heck, even vastly less than #1, if UA so sees fit), but all elites holding confirmed space on the flight and on the upgrade list (whether by CPU, miles, or other upgrade instrument) have already been upgraded.
Exactly right! If it worked that way every time I don't think there would be a problem at all.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:50 am

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by njcommodore
It's laughable, because 3/4 of the people have no clue what a TOD is and they're jumping on a bandwagon they understand very little about.

The segment upgrades (when the F cabin isn't full of elites) are only offered to GMs because there are more seats than elites. The "buy up to F" is offered to everyone, regardless of status. Plats/1Ks get a lower offer because buying to M confirms them in F.

First of all, there is no BF on a EWR-LAS. It may have been a BF configured plane, but there is no BF service domestically (other than BF-lite from EWR/IAH to HNL). Second, what was your fare? Was the cabin full? CO has been more actively offering fare ups for the last 12-18 months, but they have told us about it. The recent crazy low fares were due to a city pair glitch that CO researched and acknowledged. Before the lemmings go running off the cliff, wait to see if YOU are affected by this. If you post the example, most of us will be happy to dissect it for you.
I don't doubt that in most of these cases the prices can be "explained" I think where the real issue lies is many dont believe the explanation.

I am on the fence myself and giving them the benefit of the doubt, the one question that has been asked over and over and not addressed (by anyone that ive seen)

is how do these offers keep happening with elites on the waitlist?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:58 am

I wonder if/when UA or other airlines will just hand out a set number of upgrade certificates (CR-1s/SWUs) to ALL elite levels for the year. Lowest tier elite status would give you the a lower number of upgrade certs compared to highest tier elite status. The certs could be used to get confirmed upgrades > 24 hours out. Non-elites could purchase upgrades for a discount at checkin. There'd be little chance of scoring free upgrades, but you'd have the flexibility to confirm upgrades ahead of time.

Thoughts on this?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by vortix
I wonder if/when UA or other airlines will just hand out a set number of upgrade certificates (CR-1s/SWUs) to ALL elite levels for the year. Lowest tier elite status would give you the a lower number of upgrade certs compared to highest tier elite status. The certs could be used to get confirmed upgrades > 24 hours out. Non-elites could purchase upgrades for a discount at checkin. There'd be little chance of scoring free upgrades, but you'd have the flexibility to confirm upgrades ahead of time.

Thoughts on this?
Yeah, I think we should call them E-500's, and you spend them at a rate of one instrument per 500 miles flown.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:10 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Exactly right! If it worked that way every time I don't think there would be a problem at all.
Other than the previously identified irregularity with the EWR/NYC fare miscalculation issue, the previous thread did not offer any examples where it conclusively did not work this way.

Almost all of the TOD claims were with people misunderstanding how the system works or people who had high Y fares on routes that have low F fares filed.

edit: case in point

I am on the fence myself and giving them the benefit of the doubt, the one question that has been asked over and over and not addressed (by anyone that ive seen)

is how do these offers keep happening with elites on the wait list?
Small buy up offers (TOD upgrades) should not happen while any elites are on the wait list. What can happen, though, is if anyone GM or 1K, is flying on a flight with a wait list but has a high Y fare (example: H fare), and the cheapest F fare (or Y/B if they are Plat/1K) is not that expensive. Someone just posted the example of the difference between H and F on LGA-ORD being relatively cheap.

Almost all documented cases of TOD upgrades that I've read about on FT while there is a wait list turn out to be a case of the above.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Fee-Based Upgrade Offer on Award Ticket

Hi all,

I'm currently sitting on the plane in SNA about to pushback. Two things I must note. 1) I was offered a fee-based upgrade at checkin for $169 (there were 14 people on the Upgrade Standby List with 3 seats remaing. 2) the agent refused to add me to the upgrade standby list as an Explorer cardholder.

While the 2nd issue bothers me, it is the 1st that really ticks me off. Why was I offered an fee-based upgrade on an award ticket while 14 customers were on the Upgrade Standby List for 3 remaing seats?

Paging UA Insider!

Thanks everyone.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:30 am

Checked in this morning ---- SFO-ORD-PIT-IAH-SFO --- All tomorrow (MR)

Upgraded inside the window on SFO-ORD & IAH-SFO (w/o instruments)

Offered an upgrade when checking in for $258.00 (I don't have a clue which flight?), as I didn't accept the offer as I don't care to find out! BTW, there are 2 available FC seats on both remaining flights & so far I'm #1 on both.

2.5 Million Miles and 1K 16 years in a row with 2 years, back to back @ 300,000 each year is probably more $ than I should have invested in this airline anyway!

I am #1 on the list for ORD to PIT & PIT to IAH, so kind-a hope someone may pay-em what they want and I don't have to sit in 1A or 1D on an A319 for 2.5 hours and can enjoy my bulkhead 1F with plenty of leg room. FC on an A319 or even a A320 is not that great & it definitely not worth $258.00, so I hope a Rube falls for the scalped buy-up!
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by kb1992
SMI/J doesn't care. He is only happy to collect his TOD upgrade revenue per flight.

That's small company mentality; vision or basic business sense is in extremely short supply here.
Actually, I think it's modern American mega-corporate mentality: short term results are all that matters.

..............(from a small company owner!)
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:38 am

Yikes! Thus far, almost ALL of UA Insider's explanations have fallen far short of reality. Can't wait to see how she spins this one.

Originally Posted by boat9781
Why was I offered an fee-based upgrade on an award ticket while 14 customers were on the Upgrade Standby List for 3 remaing seats?

Paging UA Insider!

Thanks everyone.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 2006-2013
Originally Posted by malgudi
Yikes! Thus far, almost ALL of UA Insider's explanations have fallen far short of reality. Can't wait to see how she spins this one.
I think this is so early in the process of the merging that I'm willing to take a wait and see attitude. There's so much under the hood right now that is messed up, I'm not surprised there are issues.

Frankly, I don't blame UA for trying to make more money via upgrades....I just feel:
  • With a UDU program in place, upgrades shouldn't be cut rate (no $69, $99 upgrades offers to GM fliers). My reasoning is anything under a hundred isn't worth it in the grand scheme of having, loyal frequent flier customers.
  • If they are going to consistently offer upgrades, they should be offered to Elites on the UDU list first, with notifications via email so we have a chance to get them.
  • If they want to do cheap upgrades, give elites back the 500 mile cert option. At least that would also give us a chance to pay a reasonable fee to upgrade

My two cents...
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:07 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I just checked into tomorrow morning's SNA to SFO flight (UA 353 on March 7th). First Class is half empty and I'm not upgraded. It offered me a buy-up to first class for $59.

This is clearly different than UA Insider's stated policy of offering the buy-ups after the upgrade list is processed.

UA Insider - can you look at this flight and please explain if this is how things are supposed to work?

All we are asking for is an honest description of how your policy works. Your stated upgrade policy is wrong - and almost a complete waste of time if all the seats go to upsells.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by bldr1k
I just checked into tomorrow morning's SNA to SFO flight (UA 353 on March 7th). First Class is half empty and I'm not upgraded. It offered me a buy-up to first class for $59.

This is clearly different than UA Insider's stated policy of offering the buy-ups after the upgrade list is processed.

UA Insider - can you look at this flight and please explain if this is how things are supposed to work?

All we are asking for is an honest description of how your policy works. Your stated upgrade policy is wrong - and almost a complete waste of time if all the seats go to upsells.
PM the details to UAI
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by bldr1k
It offered me a buy-up to first class for $59.
Whats your fare basis?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1PP MM
Originally Posted by boat9781
Hi all,

I'm currently sitting on the plane in SNA about to pushback. Two things I must note. 1) I was offered a fee-based upgrade at checkin for $169 (there were 14 people on the Upgrade Standby List with 3 seats remaing. 2) the agent refused to add me to the upgrade standby list as an Explorer cardholder.

While the 2nd issue bothers me, it is the 1st that really ticks me off. Why was I offered an fee-based upgrade on an award ticket while 14 customers were on the Upgrade Standby List for 3 remaing seats?

Paging UA Insider!

Thanks everyone.
The explaination is that all those persons on the waitlist are non-rev's!!!
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Weez_1000

How do these offers keep happening with elites on the waitlist?
Question of the day. ^^

Many people are still waiting for an answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.