FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wow, they're sure selling a lot of upgrades
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:35 am
PHLGovFlyer

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by LilAbner
UA owes me exactly what I thought I was getting when I took a chance on an upgrade using my last CR1 from BWI to SFO and was waitlisted, but confirmed from SFO to LAS. Had I known that my CR1 could be trumped by a buy-up at the last minute I wouldn't have burned the CR1 for a confirmation on just the short haul, taking a chance on the longer segment. The rules that I was playing by were that I would be higher on the list than most other upgrader's since I was using an instrument. I earned these CR1's the hard way and to now find out that someone with no status may just get their wish before me is pretty C.S.! By the way, I'm sick and tired of people saying that I didn't earn these things and therefore UA owes me nothing! They owe me exactly what they promised me in the recent crap that I got in the mail and that was a repayment for my loyalty!!!
Originally Posted by LilAbner
I'm changing my mind slightly --- If UA can get $700.00 (as mentioned above) at the time of purchase for an UG, I say good for them. My beef is the $39/$59/$79/or $109 at check in time when GS and 1K's have been on the list for 4 or 5 days. Deeply discounted upgrades scalped in the last 24 hours, when very high status and loyal customers are waiting for the "Promised Land" is just plain C.S.!

They may as well send their scalpers to the gate readers and get whatever they can for their FC seats!
I think we're saying the same thing ^

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
I have no problem with UA offering buy-ups, provided that one of the following criteria is met:
(1) The cost of the buy-up represents the difference between the fare actually paid and at least the cost of the least expensive first class fare actually available for sale at the time of the buy-up (including, if applicable an instant Y-up fare); or

(2) The cost of the buy-up is any amount, including an amount less than #1 (heck, even vastly less than #1, if UA so sees fit), but all elites holding confirmed space on the flight and on the upgrade list (whether by CPU, miles, or other upgrade instrument) have already been upgraded.
Exactly right! If it worked that way every time I don't think there would be a problem at all.