Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Post 3-Mar-2012:How to find upgrade inventory [+how to see fare bucket availability]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post 3-Mar-2012:How to find upgrade inventory [+how to see fare bucket availability]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2012, 5:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TXbizman
Yes, I saw that in your post; unfortunately I don't have a browser that supports GreaseMonkey.
Load Chrome and install the script - you won't regret it.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by sbm12
Do you have specific details? All the A319 flights I'm seeing are F8 where there are 8 seats for sale.

The it is probably more a bug than married segments.
The system is just messed up? Flight 1722 on 3/15 shows F6 A5 JN6 P5 PN5 ...

Continue booking the flight, the seat map shows 9 seats in F.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Excellent post. Thank you ^
Old Mar 9, 2012, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM
Originally Posted by weezl
I am looking at a flight where F9,A9,JN9, almost all = 9, but the seat map shows only 8 seats in biz (2 class); what am I missing?
Believe they need to hold a seat for customers with disabilities.....
Old Mar 10, 2012, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by weezl
The system is just messed up? Flight 1722 on 3/15 shows F6 A5 JN6 P5 PN5 ...

Continue booking the flight, the seat map shows 9 seats in F.
That's very different than there only being 8 seats but the system selling 9. :-:

Not everyone has a seat assignment, so that could be one reason. Or they're overselling the back and blocking seats up front for OpUps. Or a number of other options.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Another great tool from sbm12

Mahalo
A big ^^ to sbm12 for helping folks unfamiliar with CO system.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by johnmont
Wow -- what an awesome post -- thanks so much for sharing.

This restores my faith in flyertalk....
+1

Originally Posted by hobo13
Looks like this will be useful. Thanks Seth.

Pretty sad that COdbaUA has to crowd-source the functionality for their new website, functionality that was inherent to .bomb.

I can only imagine that they'll soon take a cue from AA and find a way to disable these sort of scripts for 'security reasons'.
CO has known about and allowed the scripts for a long time, so I would not expect them to disable them now.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 10, 2012 at 9:05 am Reason: merge
Old Mar 11, 2012, 7:37 am
ufo

Thanks SBM12 for the very informative post.

When using an SWU for someone else, which bucket will the upgrade come from, the bucket the recipient would normally pull from or the elite member who's SWU is used?

Specifically I've used an SWU for my wife (a GM) for a flight to Europe. The return flight cleared at time of ticketing from W>R, for the outbound they have waitlisted her for R. Is she eligible for RN waitlist based on my 1K status?

Thanks
Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ufo
Thanks SBM12 for the very informative post.

When using an SWU for someone else, which bucket will the upgrade come from, the bucket the recipient would normally pull from or the elite member who's SWU is used?

Specifically I've used an SWU for my wife (a GM) for a flight to Europe. The return flight cleared at time of ticketing from W>R, for the outbound they have waitlisted her for R. Is she eligible for RN waitlist based on my 1K status?

Thanks
Upgrades are prioritized based on the status of the account where the miles/cert is coming from, not that of the passenger. In your situation the passenger should have your status and access to the RN inventory. It only really matters if we start to see situations where RN>R, something that hasn't been reported much yet, but that's how it should work.

I wouldn't worry too much about it right now, especially while the agents have so much other stuff going on.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 2:26 pm
ufo

Upgrades are prioritized based on the status of the account where the miles/cert is coming from, not that of the passenger. In your situation the passenger should have your status and access to the RN inventory. It only really matters if we start to see situations where RN>R, something that hasn't been reported much yet, but that's how it should work.

I wouldn't worry too much about it right now, especially while the agents have so much other stuff going on.
OK, thanks. I'll just keep an eye on the flight... if R=RN then I wont worry, but if I see RN>0 and R=0 I'll give them a call and see if they will clear it.

Thanks
Old Mar 12, 2012, 4:41 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
No R/RN ?

Looking at LHR-SFO flight #955 Oct 23 and there is no R or RN fare code: ie, not that fare classes is showing R/RN=0, but no R at all.

Since we are waitlisted to UG with a SWU/GPU, which I assume means we need availibility in R, does that mean there is no chance of an upgrade? Flights were booked with United pre-debacle, and at that time NC=0.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mmack
Looking at LHR-SFO flight #955 Oct 23 and there is no R or RN fare code: ie, not that fare classes is showing R/RN=0, but no R at all.
You're looking from within your reservation, right? It won't show the buckets with zero inventory. It only shows the full list on a new search.
F9 FN9 A9 ON0 O0 J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN9 R0 RN0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G9 N9 XN9 X9

In slightly random other news, for folks who didn't believe that elites ever get better access to award seats, the later flight that day shows this:
F6 FN6 A3 ON2 O0 J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN9 R0 RN0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G9 N9 XN9 X9

ON>O means elites are getting better access. :-:
Old Mar 12, 2012, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
I really want to thank Continental for making something simple into a complicated pile of feces
I can only say I'll stick to my buying Economy or Z fares and paying for the upgrade.
This leads to loads of canceled flights after I book them, my current MP Visa shows 10 canceled bookings alone.
Keeps accounting busy
Old Mar 12, 2012, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BDLORD
I really want to thank Continental for making something simple into a complicated pile of feces
It is actually easier than the old site, with no special codes or settings needed in your profile to easily get access to the data. What, exactly, has been made more difficult here?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
It is actually easier than the old site, with no special codes or settings needed in your profile to easily get access to the data. What, exactly, has been made more difficult here?
every single fare class, award and upgrade code has been changed.
after years of using them (old ones) I'm expected to learn new ones.
I'm an old dog and I'm growling and groaning
YMMV
PS, ... is Top Elite definition?

Last edited by BDLORD; Mar 12, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.