Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA mileage earning on AC (Air Canada) operated flights (P now 150%)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA mileage earning on AC (Air Canada) operated flights (P now 150%)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2021, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Would a K class intl basic economy on AC get me any PQF (or is it 0% earning)? This question may have been asked/answered before, but i can't seem to find it!
Old Nov 29, 2021, 9:49 am

air canadaPQF earning on united

I just flew an air canada and swiss flights on a single AC ticket with A and K fare classes. All segments earned PQP on united, but only the swiss flights earned PQF, while the AC flights earned PQP but not PQF. United said that the AC flights were coded as "discount economy" and didn't earn PQF but the swiss flights were not?

How is that possible when they were all the same ticket?
Old Nov 29, 2021, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
You should have received PQF.
AFAIK all AC fares, including deep discount economy, earn PQFs on United. Only award segments (F, I, R, X) don't.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by leoo
You should have received PQF.
AFAIK all AC fares, including deep discount economy, earn PQFs on United. Only award segments (F, I, R, X) don't.
Basic economy does not, but not sure if that's the case here.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Santander
Basic economy does not, but not sure if that's the case here.
OP wouldn't have earned any PQFs if it was a basic economy ticket so I'm not sure what's going on here.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ir-canada.html
The MileagePlus page for AC doesn't even mention basic economy so I'd contact MileagePlus and reference this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 12:47 pm

OP wouldn't have earned any PQFs if it was a basic economy ticket so I'm not sure what's going on here.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ir-canada.html
The MileagePlus page for AC doesn't even mention basic economy so I'd contact MileagePlus and reference this.
I did contact Mileage plus! They said that my air canada segments of the ticket were "basic" but my swiss ones were not? I'm really confused how that happened. These were all part of one ticket.

Old Nov 29, 2021, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by bbmatt
I did contact Mileage plus! They said that my air canada segments of the ticket were "basic" but my swiss ones were not? I'm really confused how that happened. These were all part of one ticket.
I didn't even know it was possible to have some segments in basic economy and others in regular economy.
Get the original receipt (stating the ticket was not basic economy) and try MileagePlus again.

Even if the ticket was basic economy, I believe you should get PQFs because there's no exclusion on the "Earning miles on Air Canada flights" page.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 1:29 pm

I didn't even know it was possible to have some segments in basic economy and others in regular economy.
Get the original receipt (stating the ticket was not basic economy) and try MileagePlus again.

Even if the ticket was basic economy, I believe you should get PQFs because there's no exclusion on the "Earning miles on Air Canada flights" page.
yah, that’s what I kept saying to them! How come 3 of my Swiss segments were not basic and 3 of my ac segments were!!! I was on hold for 90 mins so I don’t know if I’ll try again. Funny thing is that I’m a few segments from plat so this is a material difference
Old Nov 29, 2021, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bbmatt
yah, that’s what I kept saying to them! How come 3 of my Swiss segments were not basic and 3 of my ac segments were!!! I was on hold for 90 mins so I don’t know if I’ll try again. Funny thing is that I’m a few segments from plat so this is a material difference
Email [email protected] Simply state the facts and that 3 PQF are missing and you are requesting retro-credit. See if that works.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 10:14 am

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by cfischer
Email [email protected] Simply state the facts and that 3 PQF are missing and you are requesting retro-credit. See if that works.
Looking back in my AC flight activity within Canada for 2021, I got United PQF credit on my “A” fare class tickets. Good advice from Fischer, keep the request simple.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Looks like there was a new update to https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ir-canada.html. If you're on a 014 ticket, it earns based on the AC brand (Basic/Standard/Flex/Comfort) in addition to the fare class (though I think Flex is the only brand where the fare class matters).
VFR likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 1:47 pm

Flew on AC SFO-YYZ last week. The fares displayed on the AC site were U and H. Both flights posted as T fares on United. Worth calling in about or am I just not well versed in how classes are designated between the carriers?
Old Mar 7, 2022, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by CaptJOB
Flew on AC SFO-YYZ last week. The fares displayed on the AC site were U and H. Both flights posted as T fares on United. Worth calling in about or am I just not well versed in how classes are designated between the carriers?
Probably not. Did you see the table in the wiki (which comes from https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ir-canada.html). You need to compare the last two characters of the fare basis code - not simply the fare code.

David
Old Mar 7, 2022, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Probably not. Did you see the table in the wiki (which comes from https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ir-canada.html). You need to compare the last two characters of the fare basis code - not simply the fare code.

David
Ah that explains it. Shame. It was a $1,300 ticket since it was purchased two days before the flight.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by CaptJOB
Ah that explains it. Shame. It was a $1,300 ticket since it was purchased two days before the flight.
Ouch.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.