Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA mileage earning on AC (Air Canada) operated flights (P now 150%)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA mileage earning on AC (Air Canada) operated flights (P now 150%)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
AC's website mentioned the reduction in earning Aeroplan so I thought there might be something similar if crediting to UA.
there is no correlation. It might indicate that in the future it may change, but there is already sufficient and long standing difference between AC flights earning on Aeroplan vs. UA that it might just stay the way it is.

Last edited by cfischer; Apr 27, 2019 at 8:06 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
AC's website mentioned the reduction in earning Aeroplan so I thought there might be something similar if crediting to UA.
How many miles (status and award) you earn depends solely on the milage program you are crediting the flight to. Each program has their own earn rates depending on the airline you flew and the fare code. For instance, if you were to credit an AC flight to their Aeroplan programme you would earn 50% elite miles on a standard fare between Canada and an international destination. However, if you were to credit that same AC flight to UA's programme you would earn 100% elite miles.

Hence, it does really matter which milage program you use and is one reason this Canuck credits their flights with AC and other *A partners to UA's programme.

Different programmes also have different rules for acquiring status. For instance, AC's Aeroplan programme requires spending thousands of dollars on AC flights every year to earn status (in addition to earning the requisite elite miles). UA's programme doesn't have such a requirement for non-US residents like myself. Similarly, UA's programme requires flying 1,000,000 miles with them to get lifetime Gold status. However, Asiana's programme requires flying only half that amount across all *A partners, a much easier requirement to hit.

That being said, I am both an AC Aeroplan and United MilagePlus member. I credit all my flights to UA's MilagePlus and accumulate award miles through the various AC and other travel credit cards I have to AC's Aeroplan and BA's Executive Club.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
I’m thinking of booking a 016 ticket that includes a segment in AC premium economy that united.com says is “R” class. The ua page says R on AC gives no mileage credit. Is this another mapping issue or will it really give no mileage? It is a paid trip though a discounted fare for premium economy
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by DesertRat
I’m thinking of booking a 016 ticket that includes a segment in AC premium economy that united.com says is “R” class. The ua page says R on AC gives no mileage credit. Is this another mapping issue or will it really give no mileage? It is a paid trip though a discounted fare for premium economy
Presumably this is a UA-marketed flight; on AC, R class is Business. It should post as N class and earn 125 150% PQM.

Last edited by findark; Jun 25, 2019 at 12:53 pm
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Presumably this is a UA-marketed flight; on AC, R class is Business. It should post as N class and earn 125% PQM.
typo I think: should post as N and earn 150% PQM.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by fumje
typo I think: should post as N and earn 150% PQM.
You're right, I had the RDM chart up and was thinking of LH where N earns less.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
Thank you both. i'll give it a shot.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Oof. How is it that a domestic "Comfort" fare books in to T and L class (YYZ-YYC)? I paid $100+ more each direction for the Comfort versus Standard and somehow Air Canada still classifies this as "deep discount domestic Economy" with other *A partners. AC*AP gives 115%, UA*MP gives 25%.

As a UA*G I should have just booked Standard. FML.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rjp123
Oof. How is it that a domestic "Comfort" fare books in to T and L class (YYZ-YYC)?
Because the branded fare families are independent of the underlying fare class; it’s the same way that TATL Basic Economy can book into anything from K to W on United.

Eventually, the mileage programs will all be updated to credit based upon the fare family instead of the fare class, but until then, you’re going to have this weirdness.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Oof. How is it that a domestic "Comfort" fare books in to T and L class (YYZ-YYC)? I paid $100+ more each direction for the Comfort versus Standard and somehow Air Canada still classifies this as "deep discount domestic Economy" with other *A partners. AC*AP gives 115%, UA*MP gives 25%.

As a UA*G I should have just booked Standard. FML.
I was hit with the same problem last year, from now on I always check the fare class by clicking what fare you want after you search, and on the next screen click on "details" then you will see the fare class by the cabin type. Then just compare to the UA AC earnings chart to be 100% sure
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Yeah, novice move, I know. I figured if AC was giving 115% UA would give something better than 25%...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 9, 2019 at 4:15 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Yeah, novice move, I know. I figured if AC was giving 115% UA would give something better than 25%...
it is pretty much up to AC in discussion with UA how much they want to give. In the end ... AC needs to pay UA
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:53 pm

Just to confirm, people who've been crediting non-016 AC flights to UA, it's been purely based on fare class?

Have there been any reports of AC re-classifying the fare class to match the equivalent earning because of branded fares? Ie. Standard M domestic AC would code as T when crediting to UA in order to only award 25%?

I see there's a report a little while back in this thread of Flex G being remapped to T, but that seems like it was an AC mistake?

​​​​

Last edited by pentiumvi; Aug 8, 2019 at 4:59 pm
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
I booked a trip a few months ago on AC site, a multi city itin at the "flex" level

tickets were in either L class or W

Low and behold after I get back I notice all the flights credited to UA as full 100% PQM "Q" class. I have no idea how that happened as Q was not in any booking emails or anything, super weird, the oddness that is AC crediting to UA continues...
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by whitethunder
I booked a trip a few months ago on AC site, a multi city itin at the "flex" level

tickets were in either L class or W

Low and behold after I get back I notice all the flights credited to UA as full 100% PQM "Q" class. I have no idea how that happened as Q was not in any booking emails or anything, super weird, the oddness that is AC crediting to UA continues...
Makes me wonder if AC is in fact sending a different fare class to differentiate their branded fares.

I think AC already does this for some of the other FFPs (ie TK?)

​​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.