Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dhuey
UA @ SFO uses Terminals D, E, F, G, all UA gates are connected airside

UA terminal map & SFO terminal map

United clubs locations:
E gates -- near E3
F gates -- in the F rotunda
G gates -- near G9 (former Global First Lounge)
Mezzanine -- across from E1 (between E & F concourse)

United Polaris Lounge (United/Star Alliance long-haul business class passengers only) - just past Intl G security on the right.

Arrivals -- CLOSED - was near UA Domestic baggage claim (near the Internation Terminal end escalator) on the Arrival level

AMEX Centurion Lounge -- across from Gate F1

Freshen Up! -- is an independent option for Shower facilities, nap rooms, toiletries, ironing facilities and undergarments.

MCT
UA-UA D-D is usually 30 minutes
xx-UA I-D is generally 80-105 minutes (but without Global Entry this is very tight)
UA-XX D-D is ????

Incoming International (except Canadian flights arriving as domestic flights - clearance is done in Canada) - must clear USA immigration and customs even if in-transit to a non-USA destination. Therefore also need to re-clear security if connecting.

Bags can be check at either International Check (G) or Domestic check-in (T3) for either international or domestic flights -- you may get some pushback at International check-in counters checking bags for solely domestic flights (apparently it is a bit more complex to get the bags to the domestic side)

Bag storage Open Everyday 6am – 11 pm
Before security, on the Departures/Ticketing Level of the International Terminal, near the entrance to Gates G91-G102.

Related threads
Connecting in SFO

Archived posts: Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at SFO [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2019, 11:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Bucktillman10 - Welcome to FlyerTalk. I believe YYC has US pre-check too. ...
Beleive you mean Pre-Clearance, so the flight to SFO will arrive as a domestic flight. 2 hours for a domestic connection in SFO is pretty safe in all in most cases
Old Dec 19, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Bucktillman10 - Welcome to FlyerTalk. I believe YYC has US pre-check too.
The term you're after is Preclearance, and YYC definitely does have it.

As has been said, this is an easy connection unless there are delays on the inbound, and even then you'd need it to be more than an hour delay to be an issue. No immigration, no security, and no need to re-check bags.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 3:10 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Unlike a 11 am to 1 pm connection, a 9 am to 11 am connection is quite a bit safer. A marine stratus-related GDP usually begins with 9 am arrivals, so a 9:45 arrival wouldn't be delayed that much. However, if it's a winter storm/SE wind situation, GDPs would start with 7 am or 8 am arrivals, so a 9:45 may experience >45 min delay, putting the connection at risk.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The last few days arrivals were on 19L, UA just canceled almost all the morning Express arrivals, so definitely a bit of a tossup there. But other than "don't fly Express to SFO" there's not much you can do, and odds are it will be fine.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Unlike a 11 am to 1 pm connection, a 9 am to 11 am connection is quite a bit safer. A marine stratus-related GDP usually begins with 9 am arrivals, so a 9:45 arrival wouldn't be delayed that much. However, if it's a winter storm/SE wind situation, GDPs would start with 7 am or 8 am arrivals, so a 9:45 may experience >45 min delay, putting the connection at risk.
And in March, the winter storm is the concern. As findark notes, not much to do here but hope for the best.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 1K
Polaris lounge on arrival, SFO

I'm arriving SFO on a Polaris flight with same day connection to SAN. Can I access the the Polaris lounge on arrival, and if so, how do I proceed after leaving the aircraft?

-Thore T
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1K
You should be able to. Exit aircraft, go through immigration, get bags, recheck bags, go through security again (depending on time of day and if you have precheck and/or CLEAR it might be easier to just go to the main part of the terminal for security), and then find the Polaris lounge. It is located between T3 (domestic United) and the international terminal, airside.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Thore T
I'm arriving SFO on a Polaris flight with same day connection to SAN. Can I access the the Polaris lounge on arrival
Yes.

It's located in International G Terminal, immediately to the right past security.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:56 pm

Programs: United 1K; Hilton HHonors Gold; Marriott Platinum
I'm scheduled to fly from ICN-CMH on AC through YYZ (Jan 18) and just noticed I may be able to re-book due to snow in Toronto. I'm looking at options and came across UA ICN-SFO-DEN-CMH with a 1:25hr connection in SFO.

What are the chances of making the connection at SFO, especially without GE/pre-check (I'm a visa-holder)? I also worry about triggering SSSS as the AC ticket is a separate one way. I'm flying business Class and am 1K.

My other option is ICN-NRT (on OZ) onwards to ORD and CMH with 50 minutes in NRT. UA usually waits for incoming passengers from ICN but its a very tight connection that I would like to avoid.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by S43R
I ... UA ICN-SFO-DEN-CMH with a 1:25hr connection in SFO.

What are the chances of making the connection at SFO, especially without GE/pre-check (I'm a visa-holder)? .....
Checked bags?
I might book this with GE/PreCheck & no checked bags, otherwise a bit tight.
A plus is the asia flights have a good chance of arriving early, giving you more time.
The other factor with an early in the day SFO arrival, there are a couple re-booking options to CMH.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by S43R
I'm scheduled to fly from ICN-CMH on AC through YYZ (Jan 18) and just noticed I may be able to re-book due to snow in Toronto. I'm looking at options and came across UA ICN-SFO-DEN-CMH with a 1:25hr connection in SFO.

What are the chances of making the connection at SFO, especially without GE/pre-check (I'm a visa-holder)? I also worry about triggering SSSS as the AC ticket is a separate one way. I'm flying business Class and am 1K.

My other option is ICN-NRT (on OZ) onwards to ORD and CMH with 50 minutes in NRT. UA usually waits for incoming passengers from ICN but its a very tight connection that I would like to avoid.
I would book a 50 minute connection through NRT before a 85 minute connection through SFO, especially as a visa holder.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
I would book a 50 minute connection through NRT before a 85 minute connection through SFO, especially as a visa holder.
I agree. 1h25 in SFO with GE is reasonable, but if you can't cut all the lines I wouldn't risk it.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The other factor with an early in the day SFO arrival, there are a couple re-booking options to CMH.
Like what? I see a 1:04pm through IAH (9 minutes later), but I don't see any other UA options that would get you to CMH same day. Maybe on AA or DL. Otherwise it's an overnight delay.

UA 892 did arrive 25 minutes early today, turning it into a comfortable 2 hour connection if the same happens tomorrow.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by threeoh
Like what? I see a 1:04pm through IAH (9 minutes later), but I don't see any other UA options that would get you to CMH same day. Maybe on AA or DL. Otherwise it's an overnight delay. .
On weekdays there is a 1:25PM

But if you are traveling thru SFO on Saturday, that isn't available
But DL has a 1:25PM via ATL on the 18th

But getting an earlier arrival like today would be the best outcome.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:27 am

how realistic is it to have only 1 hour 25 minutes from UA int'l flight to UA domestic flight at SFO?

That's what UA's website shows for one of the flights that I'm looking at....

I can't imagine it being that fast to clear a full 777-300... or am I wrong?

come to think of it, what is UA's official int'l-to-domestic minimum connection time?

thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.