Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dhuey
UA @ SFO uses Terminals D, E, F, G, all UA gates are connected airside

UA terminal map & SFO terminal map

United clubs locations:
E gates -- near E3
F gates -- in the F rotunda
G gates -- near G9 (former Global First Lounge)
Mezzanine -- across from E1 (between E & F concourse)

United Polaris Lounge (United/Star Alliance long-haul business class passengers only) - just past Intl G security on the right.

Arrivals -- CLOSED - was near UA Domestic baggage claim (near the Internation Terminal end escalator) on the Arrival level

AMEX Centurion Lounge -- across from Gate F1

Freshen Up! -- is an independent option for Shower facilities, nap rooms, toiletries, ironing facilities and undergarments.

MCT
UA-UA D-D is usually 30 minutes
xx-UA I-D is generally 80-105 minutes (but without Global Entry this is very tight)
UA-XX D-D is ????

Incoming International (except Canadian flights arriving as domestic flights - clearance is done in Canada) - must clear USA immigration and customs even if in-transit to a non-USA destination. Therefore also need to re-clear security if connecting.

Bags can be check at either International Check (G) or Domestic check-in (T3) for either international or domestic flights -- you may get some pushback at International check-in counters checking bags for solely domestic flights (apparently it is a bit more complex to get the bags to the domestic side)

Bag storage Open Everyday 6am – 11 pm
Before security, on the Departures/Ticketing Level of the International Terminal, near the entrance to Gates G91-G102.

Related threads
Connecting in SFO

Archived posts: Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at SFO [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
Odd - they did let me book it, and I'm ticketed. Like I said, there is another AC flight later that day on a 767. The only downside is no Polaris Lounge access since I'm not on UA metal into SFO.
Originally Posted by findark
I agree it's odd - a UA award? As long as you're savvy - which sounds like you are - seems like a good way to ticket a unicorn Saver award. You can either run for it (I agree with GE, no checked bag, and the premium cabin you will probably make it) or call UA at some point as get positive space on SFO-DEN/ORD-YYZ.
If Polaris Lounge access is a concern, and since OP is starting from SYD...

"Hi, I'm booked on PNR ABC123, and I just remembered/found out that I have to go through US immigration and security at SFO. I don't think I can make it in 55 minutes. Is there any way you can put me on the nonstop flight from Sydney instead?"
cesco.g likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes, I would fix this now, as there is a risk NZ won't let you board due to the illegal connection at SFO.
jsloan and artvandalay like this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Excellent point to remember for other instances as well, Kacee! ^
Old Nov 14, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Can someone please advise which PreCheck checkpoint to use for an international to domestic connection? Turn left and end up in the G checkin area, and use PreCheck there? Or turn right, and walk all the way to the PreCheck at F? Arriving from AKL.

Thank you.

Edited to add: I’ll be in Polaris on AKL-SFO, so hoping for a quick stop at the Polaris lounge.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gusd
... Edited to add: I’ll be in Polaris on AKL-SFO, so hoping for a quick stop at the Polaris lounge.
If planning to go to the PL, re-enter security at the G gates and you will be right at the entrance to the PL. There are times of the day one is quicker than the other but once you walk to the either of the F security areas and then walk back to the PL, going to F isn't going to save that much time.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If planning to go to the PL, re-enter security at the G gates and you will be right at the entrance to the PL. There are times of the day one is quicker than the other but once you walk to the either of the F security areas and then walk back to the PL, going to F isn't going to save that much time.
G gates security is easy breeze at that early in the morning. No issues even without TSA Pre.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 1:49 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Can someone please advise which PreCheck checkpoint to use for an international to domestic connection? Turn left and end up in the G checkin area, and use PreCheck there? Or turn right, and walk all the way to the PreCheck at F? Arriving from AKL.
You wouldn't turn right exiting immigration for either. I agree that G security is the call before 10 a.m. And really any time if Polaris lounge is your destination. It's a very long walk to F Pre and then back.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 5:43 am

Thank you all.

Originally Posted by Kacee
You wouldn't turn right exiting immigration for either.
So how do I get to the G checkpoint? Last time I must have taken a wrong turn somewhere.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
So I found a great Saver Award ticket, all lie flat from SYD-YYZ.

The only connection I am slightly worried about is SFO-YYZ... ANZ Flight from AKL lands @ 11a, and AC flight to YYZ departs at 11:55a, all on ONE ticket.

Will only have carry-on; have TSA Pre/Global Entry/NEXUS and CLEAR.

Doable?
You’ll be fine. You’ll have to hustle, but it should work.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you all.

So how do I get to the G checkpoint? Last time I must have taken a wrong turn somewhere.
You might be thinking of where you exit former-customs, which is immediately before the bag recheck area.

The most straightforward trajectory from just after you encounter passport control (US CBP) is 1. walk straight through the bag reclaim and veer left (after passing the former customs area), 2. enter the terminal connecting hallway and turn left (walking past bag recheck), 3. turn left again up the escalator. This puts you in the G arrivals area with the ticket counters.

If you were to turn right after passport control, you would get to the curb for international arrivals.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:53 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
....If you were to turn right after passport control, you would get to the curb for international arrivals.
Even if you make that choice, follow the signs to BART, taking the escalators up one level to the arrivals level and then continue pass the UA counters to G security.

While going the bag reclaim is a bit shorter, either way can work.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 6:33 pm

Thank you! Much appreciated as always.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 10:39 pm

Question March 2020: YYC-SFO-HND

Hi Everyone,

I apologize if this has been covered in the forum at some point.

Some friends and I have booked a flight in mid-March from Calgary to Tokyo (Haneda) with a1H 45M connection at SFO. As I've never flown through the US, I was wondering if this will be tight?
YYC-SFO is United 5531operated by Skywest scheduled to land 9:50 and SFO-HND is ANA 7011 operated by United scheduled to depart 11:35. Based on doing some research it looks like we would likely arrive at SFO via Gate F or E and Depart to Haneda via Terminal 3 Gate G. I believe YYC also has pre-check upon departure and we are all Canadian citizens.
Will 1H 45M suffice for time, will baggage need to be claimed/re-checked and is fog an issue in March

Thanks!
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 10:53 pm

It won't take you more than15 minutes from one gate to the other, and your bags will be transferred automatically. So the only issue is a potential delay on the inbound from YYC. March could definitely see winter storms, causing air traffic control delays, which tend to impact the United Express flights in particular.

Most of us would prefer a longer connection (like 3 hours) in this situation, as SFO is rather infamous for weather delays.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Bucktillman10 - Welcome to FlyerTalk. I believe YYC has US pre-check too. So you would arrive into UA domestic terminal and walk to UA International G gates. Perhaps a 10 minute walk. No need to claim / recheck luggage. Weather cannot be predicted and there is the risk of fog. There is a small risk of delayed arrival, but you will likely be fine. Is there an earlier YYC-SFO flight? You may receive other opinions as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.