Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dhuey
UA @ SFO uses Terminals D, E, F, G, all UA gates are connected airside

UA terminal map & SFO terminal map

United clubs locations:
E gates -- near E3
F gates -- in the F rotunda
G gates -- near G9 (former Global First Lounge)
Mezzanine -- across from E1 (between E & F concourse)

United Polaris Lounge (United/Star Alliance long-haul business class passengers only) - just past Intl G security on the right.

Arrivals -- CLOSED - was near UA Domestic baggage claim (near the Internation Terminal end escalator) on the Arrival level

AMEX Centurion Lounge -- across from Gate F1

Freshen Up! -- is an independent option for Shower facilities, nap rooms, toiletries, ironing facilities and undergarments.

MCT
UA-UA D-D is usually 30 minutes
xx-UA I-D is generally 80-105 minutes (but without Global Entry this is very tight)
UA-XX D-D is ????

Incoming International (except Canadian flights arriving as domestic flights - clearance is done in Canada) - must clear USA immigration and customs even if in-transit to a non-USA destination. Therefore also need to re-clear security if connecting.

Bags can be check at either International Check (G) or Domestic check-in (T3) for either international or domestic flights -- you may get some pushback at International check-in counters checking bags for solely domestic flights (apparently it is a bit more complex to get the bags to the domestic side)

Bag storage Open Everyday 6am – 11 pm
Before security, on the Departures/Ticketing Level of the International Terminal, near the entrance to Gates G91-G102.

Related threads
Connecting in SFO

Archived posts: Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at SFO [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
With no obvious advance fix, the day-of-departure solutions are probably the best option. It may turn out that the weather is clear and there's no cause for concern. But if there's a delay program in place (and they're usually implemented early), then get on the phone or head to the airport early to reroute/catch an earlier flight.
I think this is really the key - it should be fairly obvious on the day-of whether your connection is at risk or not. If the inbound departs SFO on time and there is no GDP that day, then you are at least 96% to make the connection.
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 4:43 pm

How important is it that you arrive in SYD on time vs. 1 day later? Missing a wedding / important meeting? Or shortening your long trip by 1 day?

How horrible would a 24-hour delay in SFO be? Friends/family/things to do in the area? Work you can do on your laptop at the hotel?

Would you rather have a 10% chance of a 24-hour delay, or a 100% chance of taking the 6am flight and sitting in the SFO airport for 8+ hours?

1 person who can live with a middle seat or a family of 5 needing to sit together?

There is never a "right answer" to these things. Same Day Change or a prior rebook with change fee obviously an option, and regardless I'd have other MSP-XXX-SYD options ready to suggest if my flight was delayed by even 5 minutes, and be packed and ready to go to the airport early unless you have obligations that day.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 2:21 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Exclamation SFO Consolidating Flights in the International Terminal to Concourse G on April 1st

Heads up if flying International in/out of SFO...
As a result of reduced flight and passenger activity related to the COVID-19 crisis, the San Francisco International Airport (SFO) announced plans to consolidate all flight activity in the International Terminal to a single concourse. Effective Wednesday, April 1st, 2020, Boarding Area A, which contains Gates A1 – A15, will be closed, and all flights in the International Terminal will depart from Boarding Area G, Gates G1 – G14.
https://www.flysfo.com/media/press-r...ngle-concourse
Old Mar 26, 2020, 2:39 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Makes sense. I wonder (not because I think it's important or critical, but just out of curiosity) what sort of temporary lounge agreements might be made by the airlines that normally operate from A. Centurion is closed, so that's out too.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 3:02 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Zorak
Makes sense. I wonder (not because I think it's important or critical, but just out of curiosity) what sort of temporary lounge agreements might be made by the airlines that normally operate from A. Centurion is closed, so that's out too.
Bolding mine: Spoken like a true flyertalker
Zorak and Repooc17 like this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:18 pm

Programs: United, Hawaiian
United's Minimum Connection Time

Good evening,

I hope this is the right place to post this. I'm interested in learning what United's MCT is at SFO. They recently changed my itinerary from SNA-SFO-OGG to have just a 22 minute connection time from when my plane from SNA lands and the plane to OGG officially departs, which is obviously an amazingly brief period of time. I'm not going on the trip due to the virus closures in Hawaii, but United has stubbornly not cancelled my ticket, either. From what I've read online at various forums and blogs, United seems to really be playing hardball, trying to retain as much of their passengers fares as possible without the airline cancelling which would entitle passengers to refunds. I'm going to have to call United soon to inquire about this flight, which I was going to take on 4/2/20. If the 22 minute connection time is under their established MCT, then that would be a little bit more persuasive in arguing for a refund when I call them tomorrow.

Thank you for any suggestions and information, and everyone stay safe!

Bob

PS. In case anyone wonders why I would want a refund and not a travel voucher, the answer is that with the current economic situation, I could really use the cold, hard cash back. Also, who knows if I'll even be able to use the voucher within the expiration period? Or, if the airline will declare bankruptcy at some point in the future and essentially invalidate a voucher (not trying to be chicken little here, but is is a long range concern for all airlines right now). Cash is simply the better option.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 757Forever
I hope this is the right place to post this. I'm interested in learning what United's MCT is at SFO. They recently changed my itinerary from SNA-SFO-OGG to have just a 22 minute connection time from when my plane from SNA lands and the plane to OGG officially departs, which is obviously an amazingly brief period of time.
If the 22 minute connection time is under their established MCT, then that would be a little bit more persuasive in arguing for a refund when I call them tomorrow. .....
That is definitively below UA's MCT at SFO, lowest domestic UA-UA MCT is 30 minutes

UA is required to offer a valid routing

Also, raise the Hawaii arrival quarantine requirement.

As for refunds, see COVID19 Schedule Change (now 6+hrs)/Cancellation Refund, UA generally denying refunds

Would not be concerned about the bankruptcy / voucher issue , you can follow that discussion in UA Viability/ Chance of Bankruptcy/ Bailout discussion in COVID-19 Era [Consolidated]

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 30, 2020 at 7:41 pm
Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:44 pm

Programs: United, Hawaiian
Thanks WineCountry, I really appreciate it. Good information to have!

Bob
Old Dec 7, 2020, 11:01 am

(Haven't flown on UA since Feb, hence the question)

With PreCheck/Polaris, I'm assuming it is ok to arrive at SFO 2hrs before international departure on a weekend evening?

Looks like the only lounge that is open is Terminal 3, near Gate F11 so there isn't much to do than find an empty corner and wait.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by malgudi
(Haven't flown on UA since Feb, hence the question)

With PreCheck/Polaris, I'm assuming it is ok to arrive at SFO 2hrs before international departure on a weekend evening?

Looks like the only lounge that is open is Terminal 3, near Gate F11 so there isn't much to do than find an empty corner and wait.
Plenty of time, even if you are checking bags.

Expect to wonder around the airport for a bit

​​​​​
malgudi likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Plenty of time, even if you are checking bags.

Expect to wonder around the airport for a bit

​​​​​
Thanks. Might try to arrive 30 mins later in that case
Old Aug 2, 2021, 5:12 pm

I have LHR-SFO-EUG booked for next Tuesday, with a 90 minute layover. How is it looking at SFO currently with regards to intl-domestic connections? UA900 is usually on time but can sometimes be delayed for 30 or so minutes which could make things a bit tight...

I have GE, Precheck, etc but will have a bag checked and traveling with no status (although ticket was booked using a 1k's miles...) so my odds of making it are highly dependent on baggage claim/security times. Usually wouldn't be nervous but my first time transiting post COVID so thought I'd ask!

Thanks, all..
Old Aug 3, 2021, 1:05 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Baggage claim isn't speedy at SFO even with domestic. And if my memory serves me right the pre-pandemic times when my wife was flying intl, it was more like 45 minutes for her bags when she returned because she would tell me not to leave home until she saw her bags.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 5:47 am

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
I find baggage much faster at sfo international than domestic. Two days ago first bag was coming out just as we approved from walking to immigration and using global entry. Our bags were in a second wave...about 20 min total...
Old Oct 5, 2021, 2:21 pm

Programs: MMH MVP Charter Member, UA 1K MM
UA at INTL-DOM at SFO - still must re-check bags?

Wondering if anyone has recent experience at SFO INTL arrivals. Helping someone arrange flights TPE-BOS. It looks like TPE-LAX and then LAX to BOS will save them about $300.

If they still have to grab the bag in SFO, they could simply hidden city ticket it and just book TPE-SFO-LAX and SFO-BOS and drop the SFO-LAX. Price works out the same as TPE-SFO-LAX-BOS, but saves some time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.