Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dhuey
UA @ SFO uses Terminals D, E, F, G, all UA gates are connected airside

UA terminal map & SFO terminal map

United clubs locations:
E gates -- near E3
F gates -- in the F rotunda
G gates -- near G9 (former Global First Lounge)
Mezzanine -- across from E1 (between E & F concourse)

United Polaris Lounge (United/Star Alliance long-haul business class passengers only) - just past Intl G security on the right.

Arrivals -- CLOSED - was near UA Domestic baggage claim (near the Internation Terminal end escalator) on the Arrival level

AMEX Centurion Lounge -- across from Gate F1

Freshen Up! -- is an independent option for Shower facilities, nap rooms, toiletries, ironing facilities and undergarments.

MCT
UA-UA D-D is usually 30 minutes
xx-UA I-D is generally 80-105 minutes (but without Global Entry this is very tight)
UA-XX D-D is ????

Incoming International (except Canadian flights arriving as domestic flights - clearance is done in Canada) - must clear USA immigration and customs even if in-transit to a non-USA destination. Therefore also need to re-clear security if connecting.

Bags can be check at either International Check (G) or Domestic check-in (T3) for either international or domestic flights -- you may get some pushback at International check-in counters checking bags for solely domestic flights (apparently it is a bit more complex to get the bags to the domestic side)

Bag storage Open Everyday 6am – 11 pm
Before security, on the Departures/Ticketing Level of the International Terminal, near the entrance to Gates G91-G102.

Related threads
Connecting in SFO

Archived posts: Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at SFO [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2021, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
You have to grab bags at the first landing in the US. So you could grab the bags at SFO and simply exit (do not go to transfer/connection). Then rip off those bag tags, go upstairs and check in for SFO-BOS with new bag tags attached.

I’m a scaredy-cat to do these types of things but that is how you could execute the plan.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The traveler will claim bag at SFO and exit customs.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 2:41 pm

Programs: MMH MVP Charter Member, UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I’m a scaredy-cat to do these types of things but that is how you could execute the plan.
The traveler in question doesn't have a mileage plus account (*G with BR), but we can simply add a stopover and move the SFO-LAX leg out months later to keep things kosher. That will lose about $100 of the savings.

Thanks for confirming. Wasn't sure if SFO had moved to the video system for connecting bags like other airports.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You have to grab bags at the first landing in the US..
Not always, but at SFO, yes.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 3:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You have to grab bags at the first landing in the US..
Not always, but at SFO, yes..
Still always, everywhere USA if connecting domestically
There are a few airports that bypass that for International to International connection at a USA airport -- Only UA case is IAH with an ongoing UA and few other international flights.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
...There are a few airports that bypass that for International to International connection at a USA airport -- Only UA case is IAH with an ongoing UA and few other international flights.
That's what I was referring to...
If landing first in US at IAH for an int'l connection, bags are transferred.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
That's what I was referring to...
If landing first in US at IAH for an int'l connection, bags are transferred.
My earlier response was merged in - original question was INTL-DOM connection.

But your comment is my new trivia learning for the day.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 10:40 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sammybk
If they still have to grab the bag in SFO, they could simply hidden city ticket it and just book TPE-SFO-LAX and SFO-BOS and drop the SFO-LAX. Price works out the same as TPE-SFO-LAX-BOS, but saves some time.
Personally, I wouldn't book the second ticket on UA.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 10:17 am

Programs: AA 1MM (Back to GLD for now)
Question SFO - Premier Gold Best Check-in location for night flight

Have not flown UA with any status since before the international terminal was built at SFO(!!).

Now have UA Gold and a domestic flight tonight leaving (at the moment) out of Gate F2.

Am I correct that it will be fastest and easiest to check in at the International Terminal and go through security there (Pre-Check) then walk over to the gate airside?
Check in will be around 9:30 PM or so.

Thanks,
-Plat
Old Dec 22, 2021, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At 9:30pm, I don’t think there’d be an advantage going through security at Int’l if you’re leaving from F2.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 10:38 am

Programs: AA 1MM (Back to GLD for now)
My thinking was that F1 - F4 are closest to Int'l and both the Premier check in AND the only Terminal 3 Pre-Check (not CLEAR) line are at the other end of T3.

Per the SFO website, checkpoint F3 does not have Pre-check?

Thanks,
-Plat
Old Dec 22, 2021, 10:41 am

I've always gone through Terminal 3 security when going to any F or E gate. F2 is not that far from security in T3, like a few minutes. If you're worried about security lines, I've never had to wait more than a few minutes with precheck in T3.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 10:43 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1k, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, National Exec Elite
Just go through the normal domestic pre-check line. Its only 1-2 minutes from F2 and chances are at 9:30pm, the line would be next to non-existent. The walk from the G would probably be longer even though F1 and F2 are the two closest gates to G.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 10:44 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1k, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, National Exec Elite
Security by F3 have been closed most of the time now, only during peak periods you might see it open. It does have Pre-TSA when it was open though.
PlatAAagain likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 11:16 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SFO_LHR_NRT
Just go through the normal domestic pre-check line.
Agreed. Not only is it closer to F2, but the international checkpoints (A and G) can be relatively less efficient. The only reasons I'd consider going through G for a domestic departure are (1) if I was coming from BART, or (2) if it was a peak domestic departure period, which 9:30 pm is definitely not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.