Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2017, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA links
Travel for animals
Yep, No in cabin pets to Hawaii
Pets can’t be in-cabin on flights to, from or through Hawaii ....
Appears UA has decided not to deal with the Hawaii pet arrival process.
Additionally no in cabin pets in most lay-flat cabins. (accepted on 752s)

PetSafe
Also see United Suspends Cargo Program for Pets (PetSafe)

In-cabin pets
What are in-cabin pets?
In-cabin pets are domesticated cats and dogs that can fit in a travel carrier underneath the seat in front of you.

Pets can’t be in-cabin on flights to, from or through Hawaii and these international cities, but they are allowed in-cabin on select United flights. Pit Bull breed dogs aren’t allowed in cabin.

You can bring aboard your in-cabin pet’s kennel in addition to your carry-on bag allowance. There’s a $125 service charge each way and an additional $125 service charge for each stopover of more than four hours within the U.S. or more than 24 hours outside of the U.S.
Keep in mind: The rules for service animals are different than those for in-cabin pets. Service animals, including emotional support and psychiatric service animals, are allowed to accompany qualified customers with disabilities in the cabin. You’ll find more details on the Service Animals page. We know that pets are important members of your family, but to keep them and other travelers safe, you must follow the rules below:
Requirements for in-cabin pets
  • Puppies and kittens must be at least four months (16 weeks) old.
  • Pets can’t travel with unaccompanied minors.
  • If you want to bring aboard an additional pet, you’ll need to buy an extra ticket for that pet and pay an additional $125 each way. Your pet must also always remain in the floor space under the seat.
  • If your pet doesn’t fit in a kennel, then they'll need to travel with our PetSafe® program.
  • Pets must travel on the same flights as the traveler responsible for them.
  • If there’s an emergency, oxygen service won’t be available for pets.
Documentation
  • There are various state and country entry rules for animals, and it’s up to you to know what they are and to comply with them.
    • If you’re traveling within the continental U.S., we require you to bring a health certificate (talk to your veterinarian) and proof of your pet’s latest rabies vaccine. You cannot travel within 30 days of your pet’s rabies vaccination.
    • If you’re traveling to Hawaii or internationally, please see the “Hawaii and international travel” section below. And if you’re traveling to the U.S. from another country, please see the “Health declarations and vaccination requirements for dogs and cats entering the U.S.” section below.
Carriers and kennels
A pet traveling in cabin must be carried in an approved hard-sided or soft-sided kennel. The kennel must fit completely under the seat in front of you and remain there at all times. The maximum dimensions for hard-sided kennels are 17.5 inches long x 12 inches wide x 7.5 inches high (44 cm x 30 cm x 19 cm). The recommended maximum dimensions for soft-sided kennels are 18 inches long x 11 inches wide x 11 inches high (46 cm x 28 cm x 28 cm). Soft-sided pet carriers can exceed these dimensions slightly because they are collapsible and able to fit underneath a seat without blocking the aisle. Only one pet is allowed in a kennel, and the animal must be able to stand up and turn around comfortably.

For questions, please contact the United Customer Contact Center at 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331).
International & Hawaii
United doesn’t allow in-cabin pets on flights to, from or through:
Australia, Cuba, Guam, Federated States of Micronesia, Hawaii, Hong Kong, India. Marshall Islands, New Zealand, Palau, Panama, Philippines, South Africa, Tahiti. Trinidad and Tobago, UK

Before you travel, you’ll need to find out if pets are allowed to enter your destination. For more information, or to book international in-cabin travel for a pet, contact the United Customer Contact Center. Rules for international in-cabin pets vary.

Aircraft restrictions
  • You can book your pet for in-cabin travel only if there is space available.
  • If you’re traveling with an in-cabin pet, you cannot be seated in the bulkhead or an emergency exit row.
  • If you’re traveling with an in-cabin pet, you cannot be seated in a United Premium Plus℠ seat because the footrest limits the storage space under the seats.
  • Two pets per flight are allowed in our premium cabins on select aircraft. Pets are not permitted in our premium cabins on Boeing 757, 767, 777 or 787 aircraft because of limited storage space under the seat.
  • Four pets per flight are allowed in United Economy® on all United flights.
    • A customer traveling with an in-cabin pet in United Economy on Boeing 757-200 aircraft will need to be seated in a window seat because of limited storage space under aisle and middle seats.
  • The number of in-cabin pets allowed varies by United Express partner airline. For more information about the operating carrier’s in-cabin pet policy, contact the United Customer Contact Center.

Crossing the line? Rights of UA passenger when animals are on the flight.

Archive thread:Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2022, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Just curious, how are you washing the floor? There is hardly any room to even bend down unless you're in the handicap restroom on a widebody
I was on a widebody both times (flying TPAC, after all), and yes, it was much easier when I discovered the handicap restroom!
Old Jul 21, 2022, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by lancelot21
Yes, seriously. I don't want my cat stepping on it! I don't want my portable litter box or carrying case on it.
That would be catastrophic.

David
Old Jul 21, 2022, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
That would be catastrophic.

David
Well put! To keep this in line with the subject of the thread, my cat tells me regularly, DYKWIA? Of course I'm going to scrub the floor for him.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 5:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Yes, seriously. I don't want my cat stepping on it! I don't want my portable litter box or carrying case on it. I use soapy paper towel and my hands. Then I wash my hands. I think I end up washing my hands about 10 times before I (and my cat) are done.
Why not bring an XL Puppy training pad to put on the floor and then toss it out?
I can’t imagine washing a lav floor!!
Old Jul 22, 2022, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by chavala
Why not bring an XL Puppy training pad to put on the floor and then toss it out?
I can’t imagine washing a lav floor!!
That's a good thought. For that matter, I could just bring an extra large plastic bag (or two) to cover the floor, since the cat isn't peeing on the floor but in a separate bag with litter in it (the folding litter box basically just gives the bag some shape). I admit that both times I flew, I didn't think about the floor aspect before getting to the bathroom and thinking, "There's no way I'm putting anything on that floor."
Old Jul 25, 2022, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
That's a good thought. For that matter, I could just bring an extra large plastic bag (or two) to cover the floor, since the cat isn't peeing on the floor but in a separate bag with litter in it (the folding litter box basically just gives the bag some shape). I admit that both times I flew, I didn't think about the floor aspect before getting to the bathroom and thinking, "There's no way I'm putting anything on that floor."
Plastic is very slippery, especially if the floor is wet. The pads have a bit of grip to them.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 3:33 am

Well put! To keep this in line with the subject of the thread, my cat tells me regularly, DYKWIA? Of course I'm going to scrub the floor for him.
We are pretty sure our 17 year old male cat has gone deaf. He doesn’t react to noises, and he LOUDLY calls us when he wants water from the sink. Not from the toilet of course, and yes we have a cat fountain.

When I flew with our other cats including a female senior one I used puppy training pads but no litter. Senior did get scared and wet the inside of the carrier when we landed. We cleaned her up in a family restroom. She lived to be 22.

Both are DYKWIA.
chavala likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 12:36 pm

Programs: Avios, TrueBlue, FlyingBlue, Mileage Plan, Bonvoy, World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
Brining two pets on board

I have two dogs that will fit into a carrier on their own but not together. Will United let me bring on both dogs if I pay the pet fee twice or do I need to purchase two seats, in addition to pet fee x 2?
Old Oct 29, 2022, 12:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ussvalor
I have two dogs that will fit into a carrier on their own but not together. Will United let me bring on both dogs if I pay the pet fee twice or do I need to purchase two seats, in addition to pet fee x 2?
can not find it on the UA site at the moment but this was capture in the thread's wiki from UA awhile back
Originally Posted by wiki
If you want to bring aboard an additional pet, you’ll need to buy an extra ticket for that pet and pay an additional $125 each way. Your pet must also always remain in the floor space under the seat.
Makes sense as the pet carrier needs to be stowed in the under seat storage area.

Purchasing an additional seat -- How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights
Old Nov 2, 2022, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by ussvalor
I never asked that question, but the site is pretty clear that it's one dog per person. I would call and check though.

I will tell you that I bought the middle seat so my husband and I would have more room and it was not a problem with 1 dog. We now have 2 and will probably still buy an extra seat.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Flying with pet for the first time. What is required?

When I added my puppy to my reservation, it did not require and paperwork. Everything was optional. Just to make sure, I went back and checked on the UA website and it says to bring Certificate of Health.

What is really required?

This is for an in-cabin under-seat pet on a domestic flight.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by avi8tir
When I added my puppy to my reservation, it did not require and paperwork. Everything was optional. Just to make sure, I went back and checked on the UA website and it says to bring Certificate of Health.

What is really required?

Need to make sure you have an appropriately sized kennel (for your pet) that fits the under seat dimensions and that in advance you have added/paid the pet-in-cabin fee for each direction of travel. Beyond that nothing else is required for domestic pet-in-cabin travel. You won't be able to check in online as they will need to verify your kennel meets the dimensions and apply a tag to it to indicate you've paid the pet-in-cabin fee.

Domestically, the health certificate from your vet is a recommendation, not a requirement and they won't check for it.

https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/tra...with-pets.html
Old Nov 21, 2022, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I have been asked many times when checking in for the rabies certificate from my Vet, which I have saved on my phone for such instances. I suggest having it available in case asked. IAH seems most consistent in asking to see it.
Say Vandelay and ARR72 like this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by avi8tir

What is really required?

I scan and keep a copy of my dog's vaccinations on my phone and in drop box should anyone ask to see it. I have never been asked.

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Need to make sure you have an appropriately sized kennel (for your pet) that fits the under seat dimensions and that in advance you have added/paid the pet-in-cabin fee for each direction of travel. Beyond that nothing else is required for domestic pet-in-cabin travel. You won't be able to check in online as they will need to verify your kennel meets the dimensions and apply a tag to it to indicate you've paid the pet-in-cabin fee.
l
That in-cabin pet fee is such a rip off and the reasons we had the ESA issue in the first place.

If I want to fly to MCO from EWR with my dogs, the fee is $500 R/T - plus 2 tickets and any extra fees we may pay for extra legroom, which is helpful when having a pet on the floor. The cost could easily be $400-$500 each for our tickets. So add together the cost of 2 tickets plus the pet fee, it's only a little bit more to fly JSX, which is business class type seating and no pet fee.

How UA thinks this is acceptable to put a very small dog on a plane as a carry on is beyond me. It's not like they are allowed out of their carrier. I hope the administration is going after these junk fees along with all the others.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 22, 2022 at 9:23 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 22, 2022, 8:58 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mary2e
That in-cabin pet fee is such a rip off and the reasons we had the ESA issue in the first place.

If I want to fly to MCO from EWR with my dogs, the fee is $500 R/T - plus 2 tickets and any extra fees we may pay for extra legroom, which is helpful when having a pet on the floor. The cost could easily be $400-$500 each for our tickets. So add together the cost of 2 tickets plus the pet fee, it's only a little bit more to fly JSX, which is business class type seating and no pet fee.

How UA thinks this is acceptable to put a very small dog on a plane as a carry on is beyond me. It's not like they are allowed out of their carrier. I hope the administration is going after these junk fees along with all the others.
I wouldn't read too much into it - I suspect the fees are high to incent pet owners to take alternatives. Just fly JSX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.