Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2017, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA links
Travel for animals
Yep, No in cabin pets to Hawaii
Pets can’t be in-cabin on flights to, from or through Hawaii ....
Appears UA has decided not to deal with the Hawaii pet arrival process.
Additionally no in cabin pets in most lay-flat cabins. (accepted on 752s)

PetSafe
Also see United Suspends Cargo Program for Pets (PetSafe)

In-cabin pets
What are in-cabin pets?
In-cabin pets are domesticated cats and dogs that can fit in a travel carrier underneath the seat in front of you.

Pets can’t be in-cabin on flights to, from or through Hawaii and these international cities, but they are allowed in-cabin on select United flights. Pit Bull breed dogs aren’t allowed in cabin.

You can bring aboard your in-cabin pet’s kennel in addition to your carry-on bag allowance. There’s a $125 service charge each way and an additional $125 service charge for each stopover of more than four hours within the U.S. or more than 24 hours outside of the U.S.
Keep in mind: The rules for service animals are different than those for in-cabin pets. Service animals, including emotional support and psychiatric service animals, are allowed to accompany qualified customers with disabilities in the cabin. You’ll find more details on the Service Animals page. We know that pets are important members of your family, but to keep them and other travelers safe, you must follow the rules below:
Requirements for in-cabin pets
  • Puppies and kittens must be at least four months (16 weeks) old.
  • Pets can’t travel with unaccompanied minors.
  • If you want to bring aboard an additional pet, you’ll need to buy an extra ticket for that pet and pay an additional $125 each way. Your pet must also always remain in the floor space under the seat.
  • If your pet doesn’t fit in a kennel, then they'll need to travel with our PetSafe® program.
  • Pets must travel on the same flights as the traveler responsible for them.
  • If there’s an emergency, oxygen service won’t be available for pets.
Documentation
  • There are various state and country entry rules for animals, and it’s up to you to know what they are and to comply with them.
    • If you’re traveling within the continental U.S., we require you to bring a health certificate (talk to your veterinarian) and proof of your pet’s latest rabies vaccine. You cannot travel within 30 days of your pet’s rabies vaccination.
    • If you’re traveling to Hawaii or internationally, please see the “Hawaii and international travel” section below. And if you’re traveling to the U.S. from another country, please see the “Health declarations and vaccination requirements for dogs and cats entering the U.S.” section below.
Carriers and kennels
A pet traveling in cabin must be carried in an approved hard-sided or soft-sided kennel. The kennel must fit completely under the seat in front of you and remain there at all times. The maximum dimensions for hard-sided kennels are 17.5 inches long x 12 inches wide x 7.5 inches high (44 cm x 30 cm x 19 cm). The recommended maximum dimensions for soft-sided kennels are 18 inches long x 11 inches wide x 11 inches high (46 cm x 28 cm x 28 cm). Soft-sided pet carriers can exceed these dimensions slightly because they are collapsible and able to fit underneath a seat without blocking the aisle. Only one pet is allowed in a kennel, and the animal must be able to stand up and turn around comfortably.

For questions, please contact the United Customer Contact Center at 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331).
International & Hawaii
United doesn’t allow in-cabin pets on flights to, from or through:
Australia, Cuba, Guam, Federated States of Micronesia, Hawaii, Hong Kong, India. Marshall Islands, New Zealand, Palau, Panama, Philippines, South Africa, Tahiti. Trinidad and Tobago, UK

Before you travel, you’ll need to find out if pets are allowed to enter your destination. For more information, or to book international in-cabin travel for a pet, contact the United Customer Contact Center. Rules for international in-cabin pets vary.

Aircraft restrictions
  • You can book your pet for in-cabin travel only if there is space available.
  • If you’re traveling with an in-cabin pet, you cannot be seated in the bulkhead or an emergency exit row.
  • If you’re traveling with an in-cabin pet, you cannot be seated in a United Premium Plus℠ seat because the footrest limits the storage space under the seats.
  • Two pets per flight are allowed in our premium cabins on select aircraft. Pets are not permitted in our premium cabins on Boeing 757, 767, 777 or 787 aircraft because of limited storage space under the seat.
  • Four pets per flight are allowed in United Economy® on all United flights.
    • A customer traveling with an in-cabin pet in United Economy on Boeing 757-200 aircraft will need to be seated in a window seat because of limited storage space under aisle and middle seats.
  • The number of in-cabin pets allowed varies by United Express partner airline. For more information about the operating carrier’s in-cabin pet policy, contact the United Customer Contact Center.

Crossing the line? Rights of UA passenger when animals are on the flight.

Archive thread:Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2020, 5:06 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
There's a lot of airlines not allowing pet carriers in premium cabins with suite-type seating. AFAIK, this is a safety thing - because although there's ample storage space, all this space is open, which means that in case of turbulence the carrier cannot be properly secured - in economy, you can just stow it under your seat or the seat in front of you where chances it'll go flying towards the ceiling during turbulence are much lower.
On UA, you'll have to fly Economy. They don't even allow pet carriers in Premium Economy aka Premium Plus (because the footrests take away the underseat storage).

If you want to fly business class with a pet in the cabin, you'll have to do this on another airline, sorry. Star Alliance partner Air Canada allows pets in their premium cabin and flies this route (via Toronto) on aircraft with lie-flat seats up front.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 5:59 am

Programs: UA 1K
Experiences since the end of ESA?

Anyone have experiences to share on how UA is handling in cabin pets since they policy change to not allow ESAs? Our dog is small/medium sized and could fit under the seat but not sure if she would be able to be fully inside the carrier kennel the entire time. Just wondering how strict they are being about having the lid closed the entire time these days given the new rules.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by pnut4912
... not sure if she would be able to be fully inside the carrier kennel the entire time.
From the UA website:
  • Your pet must stay in their kennel with the door closed at all times while in the airport, at the boarding area and while on board the plane.
  • Your pet’s kennel must stay at your feet, underneath the seat in front of you.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks, I am aware of the new policy and what the website states. I am wondering if anyone has recent experiences they can share about enforcement, etc.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 11:52 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks, I am aware of the new policy and what the website states. I am wondering if anyone has recent experiences they can share about enforcement, etc.
WIll all crew fully enforce, perhaps not, but you should plan on it being enforced, as some crew will.
artvandalay and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I fly regularly with my dog and per the above comments it is a mixed bag on how they react. I would say just about 50% of the time someone does ask/state the dog can't leave the carrier. I just open it a bit to give the dog a treat now and then but my dog is pretty use to the traveling. She almost loves when she see's the the carrier pulled out as she knows she is going somewhere, usually to Hawaii. Dogs just like humans love it there! I can post back on Sunday as I fly this weekend to KOA with her again.
Having stated the above, with the new policies in place I probably will not be flying with my dog on UA to the state of Hawaii again. Far too restrictive now. I should be fair and state other airlines have now adopted similar rules regarding service animals, therapy animals, and ESAs. FWIW, AS still allows in cabin pets (up to a certain weight limit) for a fee (with no fee for service animals) to Hawaii. UA will allow in cabin pets for a fee (again weight limit) in the continental US. Sadly, this will almost certainly be my last UA flight over to the islands with the dog.
Boraxo likes this.

Last edited by nomad420; Jan 29, 2021 at 9:27 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 29, 2021, 11:57 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Question regarding service animal documents.

It looks like you no longer need to upload service animal documents. I filled out all the required paperwork from the UA web site and it appears you sign off on it and bring it to the airport and present it at check in now. Is this correct? As of last month the upload document site was still up but that was just pre change of policy regarding service animals.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile No More in Cabin Dogs: Truth or Fiction ?

Oh Wise and Knowledgeable UA Flyertalkers,

I have a "Truth or Fiction" question concerning UA "in cabin" Pet policy changes.

My daughter recently flew United (ORD-TPA-ORD) and brought her Chihuahua on board both flights. She paid the required $125 pet fee (each way) which incidentally was more than twice the cost of her "K" Class Ticket. The dog was completely contained in an airline approved pet container and traveled underneath the seat in front of her. On the ORD-TPA segment a flight attendant told her that it was a good thing that her travel completed before February 1 as after that there would be no more "in-cabin" pets. I have reviewed the UA website and I can see no evidence of any in cabin pet changes. Perhaps the flight attendant conflated changes to the so called "comfort" pet policy that restricts many larger, non-contained animals. Will my daughter's Chihuahua have to obtain a NetJets membership or is this an Urban Fiction ? Your insights are appreciated.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
I expect that the FA was incorrect, but then again once on board they control the narrative. I, who will push the boundaries from time to time, would be very. very careful when asking them to show me were it is written.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
The Feb 1 change applies to emotional support animals. Pets where the carrier can fit under the seat in front of you will still be allowed.
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 3:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gpicur
...On the ORD-TPA segment a flight attendant told her that it was a good thing that her travel completed before February 1 as after that there would be no more "in-cabin" pets. ....
Confusion of policy and date with UA removing Emotional Support Animals option 28 Feb 2021 per new DOT rules Jan 2020

In-cabin pets in a pet carrier are still allowed for a fee (weight / size limits)
narvik likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 6:26 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Am I able to have my dog in first on a 757-300? I know the rules state no in-cabin pets in first on a 757 because of limited under seat storage but I would think that would just be for the international/ps configured 757-200? I’ve taken him on a CRJ-200 and he fit under the seat in his carrier no problem so I would think there shouldn’t be in an issue on the 757-300 in first... Thoughts? Thanks
Old Feb 7, 2021, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by BDFlyer15
Am I able to have my dog in first on a 757-300? I know the rules state no in-cabin pets in first on a 757 because of limited under seat storage but I would think that would just be for the international/ps configured 757-200? I’ve taken him on a CRJ-200 and he fit under the seat in his carrier no problem so I would think there shouldn’t be in an issue on the 757-300 in first... Thoughts? Thanks
According to this site, the restriction is only on 757-200.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../in-cabin.html
  • Two pets per flight are allowed in our premium cabins on select aircraft. Pets are not permitted in our premium cabins on Boeing 757-200, 767, 777 or 787 aircraft because of limited storage space under the seat.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by dblumenhoff
According to this site, the restriction is only on 757-200.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../in-cabin.html
Ah ok, I didn’t see they had now clarified it was only the 757-200. Thank you!
Old Mar 15, 2021, 2:13 pm

I am flying domestically with my dog tomorrow on UA and wondering if there’s any recent data points about how strict they are with checking the formal “Health Certificate” from your vet? We’ve traveled with him before and got all worked up about it, so we had the vet do a last minute appt to get the certificate and it wasn’t even checked (nor asked for) on either flight.
We do have his most recent rabies vaccine records and the last time we flew with him they only really seemed to care about that and that his carrier was the correct size (it is). If needed, the vet can do a last minute appt in the morning but trying to avoid if possible because of the stress on the dog already and the additional costs of the vet visit...

Let me know if anyone has any recent experience with in-cabin pets. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.