Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2012, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, HH Diamond
2/2 at LAX T7, I like it! There was no one before or after me in PreCheck.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, Avis 1st
Got the three beeps at IAH yesterday for the first time after going ahead and getting GE, definitely worth the $100! Hopefully will be lucky again at BOS this week.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President Circle
TSA PreCheck Program Coming to UA & US (See post 3)

Signed up for Global Entry last week, got the approval notice yesterday and went in for the interview today. Very painless. Just entered PassID onto my UA profile and we'll see what happens on my trip on Monday.

Does anyone know if Precheck kicks in immediately?
Old Aug 11, 2012, 5:53 am

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
Originally Posted by Landice
Signed up for Global Entry last week, got the approval notice yesterday and went in for the interview today. Very painless. Just entered PassID onto my UA profile and we'll see what happens on my trip on Monday.

Does anyone know if Precheck kicks in immediately?
Global Entry and PreCheck are two different things. Having the former is likely to help you with the latter. In order to maximize your chances of getting PreCheck, you need to enter your Global Entry PASSID number into the trusted/preferred traveler section of *each* airline on which you are traveling. For each trip, approximately 24 hours prior to departure, TSA will calculate a risk score from the trip's characteristics. If Global Entry is part of that trip's profile, it should help lower your score. Get a low risk score (and don't get randomly selected for regular security) and you will get PreCheck at the airport.

Yes, it's complicated!
Old Aug 11, 2012, 6:32 am

Programs: United 1K
Not sure its worth the hype!

Originally Posted by jackonferry
Global Entry and PreCheck are two different things. Having the former is likely to help you with the latter. In order to maximize your chances of getting PreCheck, you need to enter your Global Entry PASSID number into the trusted/preferred traveler section of *each* airline on which you are traveling. For each trip, approximately 24 hours prior to departure, TSA will calculate a risk score from the trip's characteristics. If Global Entry is part of that trip's profile, it should help lower your score. Get a low risk score (and don't get randomly selected for regular security) and you will get PreCheck at the airport.

Yes, it's complicated!
I have to say, despite all the excitement and hype about the program - I am not impressed.

1. There is no way to know that the PreCheck is functioning on your account (there should be a PreCheck symbol or something on the boarding pass to show that the number is entered - maybe its just me, but I don't trust that the lack of it working isn't because United has screwed something up - I mean, nothing else seems to be working well with the IT and the new United).

2. When I called the "Premier" 1K line to confirm that the PreCheck/Trusted Traveler number (I used both terms) was linked to my boarding pass - the person had no idea what I was talking about and put me on hold for 8 minutes to find out what I was talking about. I gave up and called back hoping for a more enlightened agent and got the same response.

3. I have yet to have it work. At ORD, it requires you to go to the longer of the two "Premier" lines - if it doesn't work, you're stuck in a long line instead of being able to go to the Lane 1 "Premier" line which usually results in a substantially shorter wait.

I'm all for a true trusted traveler program and I can understand the need for random full screening. But from talking to several people around me in the Premier line yesterday - it seems to get you the expedited screening infrequently. There needs to be a way to show that its working on the BP and it should result in expedited screening most of the time. Could you imagine if you got this run around at Clear or at Global Entry - I bet the use would go to zero!
Old Aug 11, 2012, 8:11 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer
I have to say, despite all the excitement and hype about the program - I am not impressed.

1. There is no way to know that the PreCheck is functioning on your account (there should be a PreCheck symbol or something on the boarding pass to show that the number is entered - maybe its just me, but I don't trust that the lack of it working isn't because United has screwed something up - I mean, nothing else seems to be working well with the IT and the new United).

2. When I called the "Premier" 1K line to confirm that the PreCheck/Trusted Traveler number (I used both terms) was linked to my boarding pass - the person had no idea what I was talking about and put me on hold for 8 minutes to find out what I was talking about. I gave up and called back hoping for a more enlightened agent and got the same response.

3. I have yet to have it work. At ORD, it requires you to go to the longer of the two "Premier" lines - if it doesn't work, you're stuck in a long line instead of being able to go to the Lane 1 "Premier" line which usually results in a substantially shorter wait.

I'm all for a true trusted traveler program and I can understand the need for random full screening. But from talking to several people around me in the Premier line yesterday - it seems to get you the expedited screening infrequently. There needs to be a way to show that its working on the BP and it should result in expedited screening most of the time. Could you imagine if you got this run around at Clear or at Global Entry - I bet the use would go to zero!
All true.. but like all new things..give it time. It'll take awhile for them to work out all the kinks.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:25 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackonferry
For each trip, approximately 24 hours prior to departure . . .
72 hours out, or at flight booking, or whenever SecureFlight information is changed within the 72 hours.

There is no way to know that the PreCheck is functioning on your account (there should be a PreCheck symbol or something on the boarding pass to show that the number is entered - maybe its just me, but I don't trust that the lack of it working isn't because United has screwed something up - I mean, nothing else seems to be working well with the IT and the new United).
The computer problem at the end of July was a TSA problem as it affected AA as well.

When I called the "Premier" 1K line to confirm that the PreCheck/Trusted Traveler number (I used both terms) was linked to my boarding pass - the person had no idea what I was talking about and put me on hold for 8 minutes to find out what I was talking about. I gave up and called back hoping for a more enlightened agent and got the same response.
Not that it excuses the cluelessness, but you can check this online.

I have yet to have it work. At ORD, it requires you to go to the longer of the two "Premier" lines - if it doesn't work, you're stuck in a long line instead of being able to go to the Lane 1 "Premier" line which usually results in a substantially shorter wait.
You know, you can try your boarding pass at the PreCheck line and, if it doesn't work, go to a different line. You don't have to stand in the long PA line if it doesn't work; you can walk away and go to a different checkpoint.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, CBP Global Entry, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by DeltaG
The LAX PreCheck is simply awesome. Went thru it on Thurs. Throngs of people in all lines of T7 TSA. Literally no one in the PreCheck line (it's all the way to the right against the wall). Went straight to the agent, got the 3 beeps, dropped the bags on belt and was thru in about 60 seconds. So good I almost felt guilty...
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:03 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by flyer703
The LAX PreCheck is simply awesome. Went thru it on Thurs. Throngs of people in all lines of T7 TSA. Literally no one in the PreCheck line (it's all the way to the right against the wall). Went straight to the agent, got the 3 beeps, dropped the bags on belt and was thru in about 60 seconds. So good I almost felt guilty...
Had the same experience there on Friday. I like this program!^
Old Aug 13, 2012, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyer703
Yeah, I was so surprised at how simple it was I got out of my routine of taking off the shoes, taking off the jacket, getting the laptop out, getting the liquids out....that I almost forgot to take the cell phone and blackberry out of my pockets to go through the WTMD.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM
Originally Posted by shortkidd
It's in T7 at LAX? How stupid, the Premier Lobby is in T6.
For me, it was available at the security checkpoint between T6 and T7. So, it is available at the closest security checkpoint from the Premier Lobby.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K/2MM, Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime
Originally Posted by DeltaG
It's in T7 at LAX? How stupid, the Premier Lobby is in T6.

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
All true.. but like all new things..give it time. It'll take awhile for them to work out all the kinks.
the problem comes from UA....when entering the number in your profile there is nothing that says accepted or valid or anything.

I just made a reservation and I put my number in the reservation and a box popped up that said Known Traveler. UA is so derelict in their thinking!

Originally Posted by UALboy
For me, it was available at the security checkpoint between T6 and T7. So, it is available at the closest security checkpoint from the Premier Lobby.
Flying AA to LAX on Wednesday with a return on Sunday....hoping it works with them better than UA. Will post results as a comparison to UA.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 18, 2012 at 12:03 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 13, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Plus
Question... if cleared pre-check in DCA and LAS can i safely assume that i'm good system wide?
Old Aug 13, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K/2MM, Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime
Originally Posted by Ugleeual
Question... if cleared pre-check in DCA and LAS can i safely assume that i'm good system wide?
According to the rules of how it works you can get dinged at anytime and the TSA can make you go through the normal line based on some criteria.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold 1 Presidence Circle
Originally Posted by shortkidd
According to the rules of how it works you can get dinged at anytime and the TSA can make you go through the normal line based on some criteria.
TSA agents and supervisors indicated that they randomly deny pre-check access so it is not a 100% thing. I have been lucky so far (3 weeks in a row - 6 times) but who knows when I will be picked for random check. Hoping to get the '3' beeps this weekend when I travel with my family (2 kids under 12) so 3 of us can go through the pre-check line while wife is stuck in long line...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.