Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2012, 7:54 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I guess it's assumed that TSA screening/Pre-Check done at Canadian airports counts as a "domestic" flight, much the same as it does for customs and immigration.-RM
Flights originating in Canada do not count as domestic flights.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
We also do not have TSA but CATSA
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
As mentioned in this thread several times, flights to/from Canada are not eligible for pre-check. Even the press release announcing Canadians enrolled in Nexus are eligible specifically mention when traveling on US domestic flights. Even though UA, and pretty much all US/Canada-based airlines offer a domestic standard of service, Canada is still for all intents and purposes international, and the TSA/DHS certainly would see it that way.

As for "Canadian side pre-check," there is no such thing. Nexus/GE members do have a special screening line, which is usually a much shorter line and basically guarantees a metal detector instead of one of the other types of machines. You still have to take laptops/liquids out, shoes off, etc. It's nowhere near what pre-check is.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:07 am

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Landice
First time through SFO Precheck and got beeped on metal detectors for my shoes (so I was told). Same shoes hasn't triggered any where else. I wonder if SFO is tweaked to be more sensitive?
Are you sure it wasn't a *random* check. I just did pre at SFO for the first time today and got the random beep. No big deal.

I'm still getting used to pre. When it works it works great. I've had a couple of stumbles. (1) this random check; (2) not getting the 3 beeps for whatever reason and going to regular security (although it's still in the pre-area); (3) my own issue, but trying to remember when and when I can't use pre... ie: International travel no-no.

Curious about Pre at SFO. The line looks like it snakes next to the awful "premier" security line. I would think having the two lines together would be a source for massive confusion where "premiers" wonder why they can't jump into the pre-line and probably do. Anyone witness how this works on a bad day with a long line?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:16 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
Curious about Pre at SFO. The line looks like it snakes next to the awful "premier" security line. I would think having the two lines together would be a source for massive confusion where "premiers" wonder why they can't jump into the pre-line and probably do. Anyone witness how this works on a bad day with a long line?
The line at SFO is to the left of the Premier entrance and has a scanner where you enter so you know before you get to the TSA agent whether you've cleared Pre√. Once you pass the TSA agent you go directly to the Pre√ line, which is cordoned off from the Premier lines.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Has anyone noticed the magic number moving in the UA mobile BP data?

I had a BP last week that had a 3 immediately after the ticket number and received PreCheck. I have the same for my flight tomorrow so we'll see if I get it again.

There is no longer a number in front of the carat character.

Just wondering if anyone else had seen this.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Hartmann
Has anyone noticed the magic number moving in the UA mobile BP data?

I had a BP last week that had a 3 immediately after the ticket number and received PreCheck. I have the same for my flight tomorrow so we'll see if I get it again.

There is no longer a number in front of the carat character.

Just wondering if anyone else had seen this.
Yes its reported on the last few pages. Its due to the addition of a signature check. Unless i'm misinterpreting your question. There used to be a space before the 3 but not anymore.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by 14940674
Flights originating in Canada do not count as domestic flights.
Again, my bad twice in this thread. Geez.

I thought I read somewhere that the TSA was installing Pre-Check at Canadian airports for US-bound passengers which is the assumption I based my previous post on.

-RM
Old Dec 2, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I thought I read somewhere that the TSA was installing Pre-Check at Canadian airports for US-bound passengers
Global Entry has been installed at Canadian airports for those that have GE but not Nexus - perhaps that's what you're thinking of.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Steve M
I thought I read somewhere that the TSA was installing Pre-Check at Canadian airports for US-bound passengers
Global Entry has been installed at Canadian airports for those that have GE but not Nexus - perhaps that's what you're thinking of.
Plus a separate nexus priority security line. You need to show nexus card and are guaranteed a metal detector, but still must remove shoes, laptops, etc
Old Dec 2, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Plus a separate nexus priority security line. You need to show nexus card and are guaranteed a metal detector, but still must remove shoes, laptops, etc
Aside from transborder flights from Canadian airports, I almost never have to remove my shoes. And having to remove them on transborder flights is less common, too. I've flown YQR-DEN or YQR-ORD five times in the past two years and not had to take my shoes off for any of them (perhaps because the TSA re-screens us at the destination).
Old Dec 2, 2012, 9:10 pm

Programs: General member, former 1P
MCO PreCheck/CLEAR update

I talked to a couple Clear line employees at MCO tonight and they said that Clear is "working with" the TSA to more closely link up Clear and PreCheck. For now, at MCO, a Clear employee will scan your BP (if you are a Clear member) and if you get the magic three beeps you can go right into the PreCheck line. If you get the single beep then you continue in the Clear line. I see it as a wash. Clear passengers have to go through the full screening regime (shoes off, etc.) but go right to the front of the line. PreCheck passengers keep their shoes on but may have a line of other PreCheck flyers in front of them. Unlikely so far, but perhaps possible down the road as more and more people do PreCheck.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
PreCheck at IAD saved my butt today: dropped off the rental car at T-45, made it to the gate at T-14 expecting to be near the last to board. Surprise, boarding hadn't started yet since it was a sCO flight making another delayed departure.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
BOS terminal A this morning: Entered the "elite airline member" lane, which led to the TSA scanner. Got the three beeps, and continued to the lane marked "PreCheck" and went through without issues. I assume that if I hadn't received the beeps, I would've been ushered into the regular security lines?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by aaroncolorado
I would have to disagree with the very clear details provided directly from TSA based upon my most recent experience.
On Friday I flew from Seoul - LAX - DEN. I was cleared for TSA PreCheck from the LAX-DEN segment of my flight. It was a US codeshare flight operated by Asiana for the international segment and UA for the domestic.
Great info. It confirms the theory (and explanation by TSA) that outbound international would make the Precheck security screening "out of compliance" upon arrival in another country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.