Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:49 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

My guess is that UA wants to successful merge its systems in early March before adding new functionality.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Been using the PreCheck program in and out of LAS when flying AA (FC line for Concourse D). It has been good. Just hope you get the LLL so you can breeze through!

It will be nice when UA adds it in LAS as well...
Old Feb 10, 2012, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by goingbananas
Been using the PreCheck program in and out of LAS when flying AA (FC line for Concourse D). It has been good. Just hope you get the LLL so you can breeze through!

It will be nice when UA adds it in LAS as well...
I just went through the LAS D/FC line. The ID checker first asks which airlines - I said UA so went to the left. If I had been on AA and pre-check cleared, I would have gone to the right. Bring it on, UA!
Old Feb 10, 2012, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA: 1K SPG: Platinum Plus Hyatt: Diamond Hertz: PC National: EE
FYI it was also announced that the Global Entry program is no longer a pilot and will be a permanent program, and expanding to additional domestic airports with int'l flights, such as DEN.

Bring on TSA Pre on UA baby! Booya!!
Old Feb 10, 2012, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA: MM
Originally Posted by beveritt
FYI it was also announced that the Global Entry program is no longer a pilot and will be a permanent program, and expanding to additional domestic airports with int'l flights, such as DEN.

The ICE guys I've talked to in Canada (Calgary, Edmonton and Toronto) say GE is going to be put in place there soon too. Not sure why that is better than NEXUS unless the are a lot of GE pax that do not have the NEXUS card.

FWIW
DLM
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:26 am

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Originally Posted by dmunz
The ICE guys I've talked to in Canada (Calgary, Edmonton and Toronto) say GE is going to be put in place there soon too. Not sure why that is better than NEXUS unless the are a lot of GE pax that do not have the NEXUS card.
Lots of US GE users aren't part of NEXUS. NEXUS involves an interview with Canada Border Protection Agency agents, which means going to the Canadian border or a Canadian airport with US pre-clearance. Many US citizens will not want to do this, or will find it impractical. (Still, those that do go for NEXUS instead of GE get GE for free and save $50.)

I understand the pre-check program is going to be offered to Canadians who are in GE sooner rather than later. It was a point on which the Canadian and US governments agreed a few months ago; it's just a matter of working out the infrastructure changes.

Similarly, US NEXUS holders can already use expedited security lanes at many Canadian airports, and these lanes will be added to US pre-clearance areas at Canadian airports soon (the US originally did not permit it, likely because it was still investigating its own program).
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
If Pre-Check is only available at ORD for AA elites, I can't use it as a UA premier. But what about as a GE?

Originally Posted by HSmartt
I know there are links to the programs - but to summarize to not have to go to links - one can sign up with Global Entry (for instance I am Platinum so I should be reimbursed). Global Entry will get me some sort of expedited entry through customs back into the U.S. at certain airports? (I've seen it at IAD) Trusted Traveler is a "sub" program (pilot for now) that would additionally allow some passengers to be expedited through security. Do I have that summarized sort of correctly? Of course there are lots of restrictions and caveats, I realize...
Originally Posted by rwsteelers
correct
I thought the Trusted Traveler program is the umbrella program for GE, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST..., and then Pre-Check will allow Trusted Travelers expedited screening
Old Feb 11, 2012, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
How will the Pre-check qualification work? Does anyone know? From the sound of it it seems that some frequent flyers will be essentially granted entry into the pre-check program. My question is, what sort of background check is being done and by whom? Is there an opt-out or opt-in requirement?

Assuming (I know what that means) that certain FF are simply swept up into the pre-check system, what sort of security it that?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by beveritt

Are you talking about Pre-Check or Global Entry?

Pre-Check is being added to 28 airports, including DEN, SFO, etc..

Global Entry has been around for several years, and it not a trial program. DEN does not, and, most likely, will not be receiving GE kiosks. With two TATLs, and a couple Mexico flights, the demand for GE just isn't there (unfortunately).
Old Feb 11, 2012, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by joshwex90
If Pre-Check is only available at ORD for AA elites, I can't use it as a UA premier. But what about as a GE?
Not yet. The airline has to go "live" with TSA, to put your trusted traveler information into the barcoded information that prints on your boarding pass. UA hasn't done that yet.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA GS
GE in DEN

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Are you talking about Pre-Check or Global Entry?

Pre-Check is being added to 28 airports, including DEN, SFO, etc..

Global Entry has been around for several years, and it not a trial program. DEN does not, and, most likely, will not be receiving GE kiosks. With two TATLs, and a couple Mexico flights, the demand for GE just isn't there (unfortunately).
GE was a pilot. January 2012 Presidential Executive Order made it permanent. DEN will be included in the program.

"This final rule will allow the program to be expanded to an additional 4 airports in Minneapolis, Charlotte, Denver and Phoenix, making the Global Entry program and expedited clearance available in airports that service approximately 97% of international travelers."
Old Feb 11, 2012, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Is there any particular reason that PreTSA is associated with any particular airline other than the gates a particular security checkpoint is potential screening for are that airlines?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Michael D
Is there any particular reason that PreTSA is associated with any particular airline other than the gates a particular security checkpoint is potential screening for are that airlines?
Firstly, providing PreCheck to elite passengers at a specific airline allows the TSA to identify those who fly frequently (elites). These individuals are considered to be less of a threat, and by providing benefits to them, the TSA can build good will with the frequent flyer community.

Secondly, since your PreCheck eligibility is encoded into your BP barcode, and your BP comes from the airline, the TSA must coordinate with the airlines to some extent.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by wxguy
Not yet. The airline has to go "live" with TSA, to put your trusted traveler information into the barcoded information that prints on your boarding pass. UA hasn't done that yet.
Can someone explain the program then please? I primarily fly ex-EWR, (though other airports as well, such as JFK, PHL, PBI, and FLL), am GE and MP Premier Gold. I have already put my info into the CO site about Trusted Traveler. Once the program goes live, where will I have Pre-Check? At all Pre-Check airports (because I'm GE) or only at airports for MP Premiers? What if I lose my premier status, or I'm not flying with UA? Will I still have Pre-Check?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Not quite.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-...l-and-tourism-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.