Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Unhappy

My husband and are both UA Gold, I have more miles for the year, he has more lifetime. Recently he gets the Pre three beeps for every flight, I get the dreaded one. We have both checked the box through UA website. No additional TT cards or numbers. Is he luckier than me, or is it his higher lifetime miles? Mostly traveling SFO, ORD.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!,starcatcher
Originally Posted by starcatcher
.... Is he luckier than me, or is it his higher lifetime miles? .....
been no indication lifetime miles is a factor. TSA is making the decision who gets the "3" or not. TSA repeatedly points out there is no guarantee of anyone always getting "3"s.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 1:27 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
So I've always gotten the "3" on my BPs on UA since joining PreCheck, except when traveling internationally I get the "1" of course.

But tomorrow I have a one-way flight EWR-BOS that I don't see either the "3" or even the "1" on my BP's barcode for! There is just a blank space where the 3 or 1 would be! Has anyone seen this before? What does it mean?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 3:25 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
So I've always gotten the "3" on my BPs on UA since joining PreCheck, except when traveling internationally I get the "1" of course.

But tomorrow I have a one-way flight EWR-BOS that I don't see either the "3" or even the "1" on my BP's barcode for! There is just a blank space where the 3 or 1 would be! Has anyone seen this before? What does it mean?
Is it the last digit after the ticket number that's missing (the precheck digit apparently replaces the check digit on the barcode readout on the new style BPs)?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 5:45 am

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
it's worked every time with UA for me so far. i have GE so i believe that is contributing to the success rate, but i know i'm going to get the one beep soon enough. getting through BOS, IAH, DCA, EWR security in a matter of minutes has been amazing.

i flew US recently and now need to figure out how to get my GE # into any future reservations as i have no status w/ them apart from *G credentials. supposedly you can add that at the time of booking for secure flight info.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:42 am

Programs: UA G
Probably old news: I got this in an email from NEXUS today.

Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Pre-Check expanded to Canadian NEXUS members

Effective November 15, 2012, Canadian NEXUS members now enjoy TSA Pre-Check at 27 airports for domestic travel within the United States. For a list of participating airports see: http://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/fil...11-13-2012.pdf.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:50 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eleeut
i flew US recently and now need to figure out how to get my GE # into any future reservations as i have no status w/ them apart from *G credentials. supposedly you can add that at the time of booking for secure flight info.
I recently flew on US using my UA MP number. On both my outbound and return I got the delightful 3 beeps when my boarding pass scanned. Alas, it was before Pre√ launched at either SFO or PHX so it did me no good, but c'est la vie.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: UA Plat
Just went through PreCheck in SFO for the first time, and everything went perfectly. I'm so glad because the Premier Access security line at T3 was just as long as the main one, which pretty normal.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:32 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by gengar
Is it the last digit after the ticket number that's missing (the precheck digit apparently replaces the check digit on the barcode readout on the new style BPs)?
There was no standalone "3" or "1" with space on both sides as there was before, but the ticket number does appear to have a 3 at the end. Is this what you mean?

W2314BUA 2901621466863943

The space in the middle is where there used to be a few digits and a standalone "3" or "1."
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL Plat, B6 Mosaic
There was no standalone "3" or "1" with space on both sides as there was before, but the ticket number does appear to have a 3 at the end. Is this what you mean?

The space in the middle is where there used to be a few digits and a standalone "3" or "1."
That 3 at the end means you will get PreCheck...congratulations. The BP's printed at the airport still appear to use the old format, but this is the new format (well at least part of it) for BP's printed at home.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2M

I went through PreCheck at IAD on Monday and asked TSA personel why the barcode no longer displays the "3" or "1" code so prominently. I was told that there have been instances of people spoofing the barcode and the new design makes this more difficult. Perhaps there is a checkbit buried elsewhere in the barcode, in addition to the digit at the end. In any case, isn't it a criminal offense to tamper with the barcode on a BP?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 2:41 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TurtleFlyer
I went through PreCheck at IAD on Monday and asked TSA personel why the barcode no longer displays the "3" or "1" code so prominently. I was told that there have been instances of people spoofing the barcode and the new design makes this more difficult. Perhaps there is a checkbit buried elsewhere in the barcode, in addition to the digit at the end. In any case, isn't it a criminal offense to tamper with the barcode on a BP?
There is a debate about your last sentence in TS&S.

With respect to the '3' and '0' (it is not '3' and '1') showing less promiently, that doesn't make it any harder to spoof the barcode. It is the signature they addded to the barcode that makes it virtually impossible to spoof.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum

My first experience at SFO couldn't have been better. Around noon the Premier line was its usual horribly crammed self, with no one in line for Pre-Check. The TDC told me to "enjoy" and all the TSOs were clearly in a happy mood to be working that lane (which is not how I'd usually describe the average CAS screener). I did get the random WTMD alarm, but thanks to FT I knew to expect just a quick hand swab.

Needless to say, it will be very disappointing to ever get a random denial at the initial BP check.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 8:36 pm

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Originally Posted by cbourl
Thanks Ill try it out Wednesday before my flight back to Australia^
went through domestic security no success at SFO with precheck. so far only precheck success I've had is IAH-EWR
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Flying tomorrow and just checked our barcodes via the reader. Husband 3, Me 0. At least now I won't hope that maybe I'll get the three beeps!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.