Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread, active thread is
Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:03 am

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
look under MR deals, IAH-IST is 600 on TK (W fare) on a lot of dates till end of schedule. Less during peak summer times.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 2:09 am

Programs: UA*S
Originally Posted by rhawke
I was looking into some flights and noticed something strange. Booking flights from Europe to the US (IAH to ZRH as example), i can find deals in October for about $900. But booking them from the US to Europe, they are $1,250 using the same planes. I then looked up the same for random dates in November and the same thing: $900 if I start in Europe, $1,250 if I start in the US.

I fly to Europe on a regular basis and noticed that all flights are about $300 more expensive than they were last year. I paid about $950 off season (October or March) and about $1,200 in the summer and christmas. For this summer I already bought a ticket for $1,550 and now the one in October is $1,250.

Does anybody know the reasons for this? (BTW: it's not just United. The same thing I found on kayak.com with other airlines as well).

Sorry, if this is off-topic here. I looked through the forum options but could not find one on "air fares". Mods, feel free to move this to the right place if I missed it.
I don't know the reason, but I'm having the same problem. I live in Germany, and fly over to pick my kids up for summer each year. I'm flying over to pick them up (STR-SAT) on 8 June, and my fare was $1,000. The next day, we're flying the reverse route (SAT-STR), and the lowest I've seen so far on UAL is an eye-watering $1,635 (nearly double what I typically pay).

Fortunately, I qualify for special military rates, and I managed to reserve three tickets (SAT-STR) on DL for $650 each. I called UAL, but they don't offer special military rates
Old Apr 11, 2013, 5:56 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by dca2str
Fortunately, I qualify for special military rates, and I managed to reserve three tickets (SAT-STR) on DL for $650 each. I called UAL, but they don't offer special military rates
A little OT, but I find that odd. CO was big on supporting the troops, but doesn't have military rates. Of course I didn't know other airlines did either.

Back OT, I feel bad for those stuck in markets with high pricing. sCO hub pricing is draconian. C'mon out to ORD/LAX/NYC for better deals
Old Apr 12, 2013, 7:14 am

WAS-PVD

I need to fly from DC to Providence, RI (PVD) this June. Nonstop flights on United from IAD are $658; nonstop flights on US Airways from DCA are $140. I'm willing to pay a slight premium to fly United, to chase the elusive CPU. But nearly FIVE TIMES the competition?

The price disparity isn't such a big deal as long as US remains in *A. But it's going to be a problem when US bolts for OW.

Last edited by salesna; Apr 12, 2013 at 7:17 am Reason: Corrected price for UA flight
Old Apr 12, 2013, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by salesna
I need to fly from DC to Providence, RI (PVD) this June. Nonstop flights on United from IAD are $658; nonstop flights on US Airways from DCA are $140. I'm willing to pay a slight premium to fly United, to chase the elusive CPU. But nearly FIVE TIMES the competition?

The price disparity isn't such a big deal as long as US remains in *A. But it's going to be a problem when US bolts for OW.
Sounds like an availability issue.

If you're dedicated to the project of earning miles, you can fly to Boston and take the T.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Sounds like an availability issue.

If you're dedicated to the project of earning miles, you can fly to Boston and take the T.
Hmm, .bomb is showing the following availability: Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W5, S3, T3, L0, K0, G0, N0, XN0, X0.

The flights I'm looking at are booking into E. I think the issue is that the itinerary doesn't involve a Saturday night stay. If I change the return date to include a Saturday stay, it books into T. That's $276 -- still nearly a 100% premium over the competition.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by salesna
Hmm, .bomb is showing the following availability: Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W5, S3, T3, L0, K0, G0, N0, XN0, X0.

The flights I'm looking at are booking into E. I think the issue is that the itinerary doesn't involve a Saturday night stay. If I change the return date to include a Saturday stay, it books into T. That's $276 -- still nearly a 100% premium over the competition.
Took a look at the published fares, and you're right. Don't know why this is a round-trip-fared route.

BWI-PVD is all cheap one-way fares, probably to compete with WN, so that's an option.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Took a look at the published fares, and you're right. Don't know why this is a round-trip-fared route.

BWI-PVD is all cheap one-way fares, probably to compete with WN, so that's an option.
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it takes a while to get to BWI from my place, so I'll probably end up going with US Airways.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:39 am

I run into this problem all the time flying BDL-IAD. COdbaUA considers IAD to be a monopoly airport with no competition, hence the higher fares. Most people flying to IAD are connecting and UA will charge whatever the traffic will bear. DCA and IAD are two different airports and don't compare equally. It gets even worse when you are flying BDL-IAD and turning around in less than 3 days. The fare is over $1000. On those occasions I fly into DCA for around $200 round trip. UA knows the United Technology people flying into IAD for meetings will pay that much but I won't. Not sure what I will do when US leaves *alliance
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Brattflyer
I run into this problem all the time flying BDL-IAD. COdbaUA considers IAD to be a monopoly airport with no competition, hence the higher fares. Most people flying to IAD are connecting and UA will charge whatever the traffic will bear. DCA and IAD are two different airports and don't compare equally. It gets even worse when you are flying BDL-IAD and turning around in less than 3 days. The fare is over $1000. On those occasions I fly into DCA for around $200 round trip. UA knows the United Technology people flying into IAD for meetings will pay that much but I won't. Not sure what I will do when US leaves *alliance
That's interesting, because IAD and DCA are fared together as WAS. There must be airport-specific fares in this case, as is sometimes done with LGA.

One strange round-trip route I've seen is NYC-PIT.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by PandaHouston
Miles is an option but right now, only the Standard Award is available and that would be 140K for the RT and with 2 people, that is 280K. Not really a good use of miles. Plus, I may need it to make 1K for 2014 so I rarely use miles for my tickets.
Using your miles for award flights doesn't impact your status, once earned they count.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 3:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CMH1k
Using your miles for award flights doesn't impact your status, once earned they count.
Yes, but using miles for award flights ,makes those flights non elite/status earning flights. Which for some can make earning status harder.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I find the whole business class upgrade thing confounding.

If you look at business class fares in a basic flight search, you find crazy high prices ( say $8000 for a US/Europe RT).

Then if you book an economy fare online for the same flight, you sometimes get offers for a business upgrade for, say $4000 RT.

If you don't get that offer, you can buy an upgrade after you book the flight (sometimes less than the previous upgrade offer) or you can buy the upgrade for a bargain 20,000 miles and $300.

It's a frustating game. Any tips?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
What's up with these prices for SFO-NRT-TPE or SFO-HKG?

May-August fares are crazy insane on United.

I'm trying to lock in a few fares but I can't seem to find a fare for under $1500 on a upgradable fare from economy class. I have a few Systemwide Certs that I'm trying to use up during that time and all fares seem to be unusually high.

My ideal destination is from SFO to Taipei, which has a stop in NRT regardless. I'm also willing to do SFO to HKG then buy individual fares or use mileage to transfer back to TPE. Even going from SFO-Seattle / SFO-LAX, still outrageous prices. Whats with the hike?

Where Can I find fare deals?

btw, sorry if I posted in the wrong section.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
What would you consider acceptable for an upgradeable fare for SFO-TPE?
What have you gotten in the past?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...cts-fares.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.