Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread, active thread is
Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2013, 7:23 am

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
Originally Posted by cblaisd
In the last month, flights from COS to PDX/SEA/ABQ have tripled I presume from Frontier's pulling out of COS. Several flights are actually substantially cheaper ex-PUB instead of COS, which has been unheard of.
I was wondering, too, as fares to where I've been mostly flying (SAN, PHX, MCO for instance) have almost doubled for any proposed trip to these destinations, six to eight weeks out, when searching on itasoftware. Come on, a "W" fare is lowest available to PHX when booking six weeks out?

Last edited by ColoBill1; May 1, 2013 at 11:00 pm Reason: Provide more accurate detail
Old May 3, 2013, 10:41 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by diburning
I need a roundtrip from BOS-AOO in early August. AOO isn't exactly a tourist destination. I saw mid $200 fares for the same dates back in February, but didn't book at the time thinking that they would come down closer to departure. Right now, they're all above $300. Is this a heavily traveled route? I'm thinking about paying an extra $4 for the flight that does IAD-JST-AOO just to see the airport at JST. Any chance that this fare will come back down? At 30+cpm, it's kind of ridiculous.

I'm looking at some flights from BOS-LAX in August. I need one in mid-August and one in late August. The fare bucket seems to never drop below K. I know that this is probably a popular route with the business travelers, but will it get any less expensive? At 6cpm right now, it's not bad, but can/will it get better? What are my chances of a UFC? (My plans changed so I'll still be kettling it in August).
If someone who knows the answer to this could respond, that would be great! I like to play the fare bucket game, but I don't know about all the ins and outs, especially with odd destinations like AOO and heavily traveled flights like BOS-LAX. Thanks!
Old May 6, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Need to fly NYC-SAN fairly urgently. US has one-ways all this week at sub $200, United wants $550. Any ideas how to force a better fare?

Also as my return is uncertain I'm figuring two one ways would be better than a flexible return; any thoughts or tips?
Old May 6, 2013, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by alex_b
Need to fly NYC-SAN fairly urgently. US has one-ways all this week at sub $200, United wants $550. Any ideas how to force a better fare?

Also as my return is uncertain I'm figuring two one ways would be better than a flexible return; any thoughts or tips?
EWR-SAN-LAX, no-show the final segment?

One ways are hit or miss - sometimes 1/2 the price of a basic r/t, sometimes equal to the r/t price itself
Old May 6, 2013, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UA-NYC

One ways are hit or miss - sometimes 1/2 the price of a basic r/t, sometimes equal to the r/t price itself
Depends on whether the fares are o/w or r/t. I'll look when I get a chance.

Just a note: I've been pricing out fares NYC-LAX for the last day, and both United.com and the Matrix have been giving me only T fares despite all of the prerequisites being met for K/G/N fares. Something odd is going on. So maybe you might want to hold off?
Old May 6, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Depends on whether the fares are o/w or r/t. I'll look when I get a chance.

Just a note: I've been pricing out fares NYC-LAX for the last day, and both United.com and the Matrix have been giving me only T fares despite all of the prerequisites being met for K/G/N fares. Something odd is going on. So maybe you might want to hold off?
Thanks. UA only has M available (at $775) on the non-stop and S/Q available (at $550) with one connection. US has K available with one connection for $197.

Running NYC-LAX with a connection forced in SAN actually increases the fare to $900, plus I will need to check luggage which makes hidden city impossible.

I can't really hold off as I need to get out to a ill relative so will probably book US unless someone has any other great ideas.
Old May 6, 2013, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by alex_b
Thanks. UA only has M available (at $775) on the non-stop and S/Q available (at $550) with one connection. US has K available with one connection for $197.

Running NYC-LAX with a connection forced in SAN actually increases the fare to $900, plus I will need to check luggage which makes hidden city impossible.

I can't really hold off as I need to get out to a ill relative so will probably book US unless someone has any other great ideas.
Yeah, I think SAN is not a valid routing, come to think of it.

In your situation, I'd go with US. My flights on US over the weekend were a delight.

A follow-up on this comment of mine. I dug a bit deeper, and all of the published sub-T fares for NYC-LAX exclude the month of July through a blackout date rule at the moment. Here's to hoping that changes.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 6, 2013 at 12:45 pm Reason: merge
Old May 9, 2013, 7:38 am

Programs: UA GS
ORD-HNL in March 2014

I've been eyeing some flights nonstop ORD-HNL for March 2014. I'm in no hurry to book but I am curious as to how they're controlling inventory for these flights.

I had an alert on EF set to watch R inventory because I plan on upgrading myself and 3 companions to F using miles. I haven't booked the flights yet, but was planning on moving on it if R inventory started to fill up (it was R7 and R9 for the two flights).

On Tuesday I was notified that BOTH flights had gone to R0. In addition, the inventory for the cheaper classes went away as well (previously, there was an S fare on the outbound and W on the return, now it's W and V only), so the fare is over $150 up from what it was ($1174pp for the nonstops).

I'm not overly concerned about booking this since it's so far out, but I am curious why this inventory is so weird. R inventory went away at the same time the cheaper classes did.

Maybe it'll come back next week - when these flights first went for sale it looked like this and about 2 weeks later R opened up along with the cheaper classes. Thoughts?
Old May 9, 2013, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by villox
I've been eyeing some flights nonstop ORD-HNL for March 2014. I'm in no hurry to book but I am curious as to how they're controlling inventory for these flights.

I had an alert on EF set to watch R inventory because I plan on upgrading myself and 3 companions to F using miles. I haven't booked the flights yet, but was planning on moving on it if R inventory started to fill up (it was R7 and R9 for the two flights).

On Tuesday I was notified that BOTH flights had gone to R0. In addition, the inventory for the cheaper classes went away as well (previously, there was an S fare on the outbound and W on the return, now it's W and V only), so the fare is over $150 up from what it was ($1174pp for the nonstops).

I'm not overly concerned about booking this since it's so far out, but I am curious why this inventory is so weird. R inventory went away at the same time the cheaper classes did.

Maybe it'll come back next week - when these flights first went for sale it looked like this and about 2 weeks later R opened up along with the cheaper classes. Thoughts?
No willingness to give up on the nonstop aspect?
Old May 9, 2013, 6:22 pm

No willingness to give up on the nonstop aspect?
The nonstops are just more convenient. The ones with connections really aren't much cheaper, and with 2 mothers who already don't care much for flying 1 flight is better than 2 even if it's longer (and especially if it's confirmed in F).

I actually did an award search for March 2014 - I noticed that they completely zeroed out ANY saver inventory for Th F Sa and Su for the 3 week period. Seems strange?
Old May 9, 2013, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by villox
The nonstops are just more convenient. The ones with connections really aren't much cheaper, and with 2 mothers who already don't care much for flying 1 flight is better than 2 even if it's longer (and especially if it's confirmed in F).

I actually did an award search for March 2014 - I noticed that they completely zeroed out ANY saver inventory for Th F Sa and Su for the 3 week period. Seems strange?
I'm too lazy to look at the moment, but there have been very low fares in Y for NYC and EWR to all the islands throughout this year. It's been a big MR destination for some. It would seem that you could route through NY using two separate fares and make it work for much cheaper than $1,000.
Old May 9, 2013, 7:17 pm

I'm too lazy to look at the moment, but there have been very low fares in Y for NYC and EWR to all the islands throughout this year. It's been a big MR destination for some. It would seem that you could route through NY using two separate fares and make it work for much cheaper than $1,000.
Well, this is really far out so hardly reliable.. but a fare from EWR on the dates I need (which are set in stone by my mother's schedule, which was set by the school system in FAR where she works) is $916 right now so I doubt it.

Further, she already needs to fly to ORD from FAR and dislikes the whole taking off and landing part of flying, so again, trying to minimize the discomfort for what otherwise is a nice treat by her son

My plan for now is just to wait and see. These planes are extremely empty and I expect fares will go down and not up.

I was just wondering if the restricting of saver and upgrade inventory across these 3 weeks is part of some larger trend some have started to notice, or an anomaly.
Old May 11, 2013, 5:41 pm

What's the deal with SFO/KIX?

Anyone else familiar with this route?

In the pre-$mi$ek era, this was my secret route to Japan. For years, flights were cheap, and R space was abundant. Anytime I needed to go to Japan, and NRT was too expensive or lacking R space, I'd grab that flight to KIX and have no problem applying a GPU upon booking.

What's shocking now is that the fares on that flight have gone through the clouds. For a 12 day trip, ITA fare matrix is showing cheapest Y fare > $2,000 for every day in May and June and July.

By comparison, SFO/NRT is around $1,200 for cheapest Y fare.

These fares are totally out of whack with reality and a huge break from historical precedent.

Surprisingly, there is abundant R space, but it's not much of a deal since the > $2,000 fares are in V class and a W class fare would typically be a bit cheaper. At these fares, you're almost paying cash up to the P equivalent.
Old May 11, 2013, 6:18 pm

How full were the flights? How full are they now?
Old May 11, 2013, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
My flights mid/late May are pretty empty. 20+ in BF and E+ cabin is almost empty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.