Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Delay of SFO-TPE Nonstop - Change Experience and Effects on Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2013, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Now that UA is delaying the start of SFO-TPE nonstop from April to 6/6 due to the 787 problems (using the 777s elsewhere), I am seeing a few problems...

Even before this, it seemed STLK fares were not available on United.com - lowest were V and W even before the May busy season. Maybe UA is selling STLK directly to consolidators? So, fares are pretty high to start with. That is fine for those with GPUs and it is probably going to be a decent route to redeem on.

Now, it looks like UA is not adding extra capacity into NRT, NH is keeping the 772 a little longer but will switch back to the 767 before 6/6. So, it seems the demand for both TPAC and NRTTPE will be tighter. Looking at some early May dates, again, no STLK into TPE. With NH, no GPU. So, you are basically paying the extra fare and GPU but losing 3 hours of upgraded flight.

Looks like the promo is also pulled...makes sense since no one will be able to qualify.

This is definitely a bad [re]start for the route.

Also, I wonder for those already booked on the nonstop - especially those with cleared GPU, what is UA doing for you?

Thanks.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 4:35 pm

Programs: United: Gold, HHonors: Gold, Marriott: Gold, AA, US, AGR
I recently just booked a flight from Taipei. I was able to get S fare until about a week ago, then everything became V. I ended having to book TSA-HND-LAX (on ANA) because it was in a lower fare class (W) and the price was lower. I guess it means more transfers heading back to the East Coast, but at least I don't have to go all the way out to Taoyuan.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: United 1k
Make sense why the TPE promo I signed up for just vanished from the Offers page....I was looking forward to earning those double miles.....
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA
UA is doing nothing for this 1K

Booked 5/30 JFK to SFO to TPE in Oct '12. Learned today about the cancellation through my proactive checking of reservations. No notification email and no auto rebooking. UA just dropped my SFO to TPE, which really P.O. me considering UA has done this to me several times already whenever a flight is cancelled. Called and had to get myself rebooked to other flights and lost my confirmed upgrade. No sympathy and no apologies. NOTHING. Not an isolated bad customer service either. Called to have other family members rebooked. All the same apathetic CSRs. This is terrific model customer service on which Harvard should write numerous case studies.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
BR is maintaining higher capacity on some of the west coast flights to TPE - for example, they seem to be keeping the 747 on SEA-TPE well past the CNY holiday season (it was a 777 before), and once they join *A officially, we should be able to get PQM on these flights - especially in the PE cabin, which is not bad at all especially if it saves a connection.

Another option is finding a E fare (or other upgradable fare) on OZ from one of their US gateways and use 25k miles each way (no GPU or copay) to fly US-ICN-TPE, although their business class product is hit or miss by aircraft type and you'll definitely need to bring along a fully loaded iPad for entertainment. E fares tend to be on par with UA S, or at worst, W.

W fares are not bad from my points of original on UA and I don't mind the 3-4 hr hop on ANA even with using a GPU on the TPAC segment (this is actually my usual ride).

However, if you're looking for the cheapest option over, BR is probably the only way and you'll be forgoing the PQM.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA CK
Originally Posted by nycua1k
Booked 5/30 JFK to SFO to TPE in Oct '12. Learned today about the cancellation through my proactive checking of reservations. No notification email and no auto rebooking. UA just dropped my SFO to TPE, which really P.O. me considering UA has done this to me several times already whenever a flight is cancelled. Called and had to get myself rebooked to other flights and lost my confirmed upgrade. No sympathy and no apologies. NOTHING. Not an isolated bad customer service either. Called to have other family members rebooked. All the same apathetic CSRs. This is terrific model customer service on which Harvard should write numerous case studies.
I just went through the same experience.. except this was a roundtrip I purchased for my father in law. Glad I checked his itinerary again a month prior to departure.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
Remedy for the Cancelled SFO-TPE flight

Hate United. Book the newly annouced SFO-TPE flight back in Jan 2013, and came to find out yesterday that they have cancelled those flights (maybe United did not get approval?). Initially, I had a choice of taking the LAX-NRT on UA and then code share on ANA to TPE for less than $900 round trip (which no longer avialable), but opted to use the 10% off fare on the LAX-SFO-TPE in w fare (so the potential for the GPU upgrade).

What are my remedies? If I decide just go with the refund, will UA give me another 10% off voucher to use? Can I reroute to another city? Thinking about LAX-SFO-HKG-TPE or LAX-NRT-Bkk-TPE, will these be possible? If so, will United still put us in w fare?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
You'll stay in W and if your upgrade was confirmed, UA should preserve it on the new routing.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 3:24 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe they don't have enough planes to start all of their new routes since their 787s are grounded? I can't fault UA for that.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 3:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sink
.... Book the newly annouced SFO-TPE flight back in Jan 2013, and came to find out yesterday that they have cancelled those flights (maybe United did not get approval?). ...
delay, related to aircraft shortage from 787 grounding (more than SFO-TPE effected)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20292038-post262.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...cts-fares.html

Originally Posted by sink
... What are my remedies? If I decide just go with the refund, will UA give me another 10% off voucher to use? Can I reroute to another city? Thinking about LAX-SFO-HKG-TPE or LAX-NRT-Bkk-TPE, will these be possible? If so, will United still put us in w fare?
Call -- should be a general plan for handling. See above thread for experiences of others. Should be no change in fare.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 5:39 am

Programs: AA CK
Originally Posted by Ari
Maybe they don't have enough planes to start all of their new routes since their 787s are grounded? I can't fault UA for that.
That's indeed what happened here. The problem is there was absolutely no communication unless we proactively checked the upcoming itineraries.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Last minute cancellation and change for SFO-TPE direct flight?!

Fri, 12APR13 UA872 S TAIPEI, TAIWAN (TPE) 11:55 AM SAN FRANCISCO, CA (SFO) 8:15 AM
Just went into my account today, looks liek they cancelled out the Apr 12 flight from TPE to SFO (direct flight). Been waiting a long time for this and also used a system-wide to confirmed the business class, but the change would mean I need to get everything swapped out again.

I also have another booking for May1st as a firect flight from SFO-TPE. The entire reservation for this has been blanked out and they asked me to call United.

What in the world is United doing? Keep changing out the flights.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 4:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Last minute cancellation and change for SFO-TPE direct flight?!

Several threads on this. The startup of the nonstop flight was postponed 1-2 months so you have to connect in NRT probably.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 4:40 pm

You can probably get United to put you on the SFO-HKG flight and then connect over to TG for HKG-TPE. This way you'll have a longer experience in C.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The advice remains as it always has been:
1. Research the alternatives and put them in order of preference.
2. Call UA and calmly work through a rebook by proposing alternatives in the order you want them.
3. Don't delay. There are only so many alternatives and those dwindle as other pax are calling in and getting taken care of.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.