Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's 737-900 Aircraft With no Entertainment System

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA's 737-900 Aircraft With no Entertainment System

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:45 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
This is not just a problem for today but a continuing problem with UA. They will fly AVOD/IFE equipped planes on ridiculous routes like SEA-SFO and leave them completely off of SEA-EWR/IAD/IAH.
Yep, I'm on one again today: UA1683 SFO-EWR (ship #3473). Only saving grace is they actually installed power outlets on these from the outset....
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I think UA really could make a lot more money with their AVOD system if they would use it on flights where people are most likely to get bored and swipe their C/C.
One of the reasons UA does not have a huge incentive to assign their DirecTV-equipped on routes where passengers are likely to pay for it is that the DirecTV deal is a carry-over from PMCO, in which Larry Kellner agreed to let DirecTV to keep the lion's share of the revenue. In return, the cost of installation and maintenance was entirely paid for by DirecTV.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fjfv19
You better hope for the replacement refs from the Packers game if you want to connect on this Hail Mary.
Oh you had to go there

First that last season, and da Bears giving Rogers a wicked discount daaaable check to screw up this season...
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Given that I'm a 49ers fan, you can probably guess what my response would be if I were in a position to assist.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K and 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond
You're a 1K, you can either standby to an earlier flight, or do a complimentary schedule change to any flight 24 hours before or after the one you're on.

GO NINERS!!!
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by ToneDaBass
You're a 1K, you can either standby to an earlier flight, or do a complimentary schedule change to any flight 24 hours before or after the one you're on.

GO NINERS!!!
Unfortunately my schedule doesn't permit that today... but you better believe I considered all possible options.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Don't worry about it. They're installing Ch-9 on the pmCO fleet so maybe you'll get one with Channel 9 and the pilot will tune in the game...

(ducks)
Old Dec 2, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
To Mr1A on TVs.

Flew ewr-lax on a 738 w overhead video. Guy in 1A last night pitched a HUGE fit!

"I drove all the way from near JFK to fly with liveTV to watch the giants game!"

"I normally fly on the 777 with movies on united out of JFK"

"No amenity kits-I get them on the 777 out of JFK"

"Last week I had soup on the 777 JFK-sfo. Why no soup on this flight"

He was a mess. Was actually funny to watch.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Flew ewr-lax on a 738 w overhead video. Guy in 1A last night pitched a HUGE fit!

"I drove all the way from near JFK to fly with liveTV to watch the giants game!"
Mistake. ps is better.

"I normally fly on the 777 with movies on united out of JFK"
Nope, unless he can normally cause plane swaps.

"No amenity kits-I get them on the 777 out of JFK"
Just no. What year was this?

"Last week I had soup on the 777 JFK-sfo. Why no soup on this flight"

He was a mess. Was actually funny to watch.
If I knew how to post pictures, I would post a picture of the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld because it would just be perfect. Sounds like a fun exchange to listen in on.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:17 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Hello my good friends at United. Today I will be flying on UA1603 IAH-SEA departing at 5:29pm on a 737-900. As luck would have it's not likely I'll be in F for this flight...award ticket, and F is already full.

I have no problem with that..but at least I was ready to swipe my credit card to watch the Seahawks play at home against the Saints on an epic Monday Night Football Game on DirecTV.

Sadly, I see from flight status it's ship #3475 with no in flight entertainment...and on a flight TO SEATTLE no less..it really is a big game. I'll bet you'd get a lot of card swipes.

If you could find it in your hearts to do a little plane swapping today for an old friend I'd much appreciate it.

All my best.

SEA1K4EVR
Well unfortunately there was no equipment swap and there was a lot of grumbling from other pax that there was no DTV to watch the game (which was a Seahawks blowout)..and especially from several of the pax who were flying on the same plane up to Anchorage after a short stop at SEA.

However I received a very nice message from UA Insider..he put in a request for an equipment swap to a plane with DTV but it just wasn't possible yesterday. I very much appreciate the attempt at least!
Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott P, SPG G
ORD-SMF on a 739. No personal screen and no shared TV in F. There is power outlet but I didn't test it if it works.

I felt that compared to 739s that have IFE, that one seems to have much less recline.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by cyanchan15
ORD-SMF on a 739. No personal screen and no shared TV in F. There is power outlet but I didn't test it if it works.

I felt that compared to 739s that have IFE, that one seems to have much less recline.
The limited recline is indeed a feature of the "temporary" interiors on these 739's.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 12:43 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Had the pleasure of flying a dark '37-9 IAD-SFO two weeks ago (and I knew ahead of time thanks to UA's flight status and the fleet update websites) and the F/A in F and I had a good chuckle when I asked her how many pax had asked when the movie would start
Old Dec 3, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA,DL
Originally Posted by cyanchan15

I think UA is kind of lazy for not installing AVOD on the 739s that fly for 5-6 hours.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 10:43 pm

United should be offered a buyback of the faulty 737-900s as they currently have no IFE or E+. Or at least United should file a class action suit with the Japanese company for no IFE/E+.

It's time we bring jobs to America with American Quality control. Stop with this fraud. Why would United even accept a product from a company that commits fraud?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.