Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's 737-900 Aircraft With no Entertainment System

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA's 737-900 Aircraft With no Entertainment System

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2013, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
Is this true ?, have any of the 737-900's that were delivered with nothing had PTV or any other form of inflight entertainment added ?. I know that some have it, but I am not aware of it being the ones that were originally delivered with nothing.
Basically no, none of them with the new Sky Interior have IFE of any kind. And they are suppose to get 24 this year iirc so 2 per month.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K AA EXP
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
Is this true ?, have any of the 737-900's that were delivered with nothing had PTV or any other form of inflight entertainment added ?. I know that some have it, but I am not aware of it being the ones that were originally delivered with nothing.
They are all delivered dark. LiveTV is third party. This is not something that is put in at Boeing for UA. UA takes delivery of the aircraft and instead of waiting for PTV install to fly, UA puts the aircraft to use to make money. They all have to go to MCO to get the interior mods for LiveTV. This is how is has been done since CO days. This has been going on for a while now. CO was taking planes almost every month and they had a few dark birds and it lasted a bit longer with the whole seating fiasco. When CO got that sorted out, the 737-900s started to get LiveTV again. It slow but they are adding them.

Originally Posted by JDS747
Basically no, none of them with the new Sky Interior have IFE of any kind. And they are suppose to get 24 this year iirc so 2 per month.
That is not true.
These are all Sky Interior 737-900s with LiveTV.
Ships

These are all Sky Interior 737-800s with LiveTV.
Ships

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 15, 2013 at 7:49 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 19, 2013, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
UA's product remains a crapshoot.

Flew IAH-BWI on a 739 dark bird Monday.
Flew BWI-IAH on a 739 with DTV Tuesday.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 9:02 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA 1k.
No entertainment on coast-to-coast UA flight: normal?

I recently flew on a brand new UA 737-900 EWR-PDX. A number of us in F were surprised there was no entertainment on board (no monitors, personal or otherwise) for the 5h+ flight. Flight attendant suggested to all passengers they "entertain themselves."

I wrote to UA Customer Care. Got response "Thank you for contacting us. We apologize for the delay in responding. Although we have upgraded our Boeing 737-900 series aircraft, the entertainment portion is being completed later in the year. I am very sorry for the inconvenience. We ask for your patience while it is in completion."

Do they really think it is normal not to have onboard entertainment at this day and age on transcontinental flights? (Or schedule those aircraft for transcon?)
Old Jun 26, 2013, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by vip66
I recently flew on a brand new UA 737-900 EWR-PDX. A number of us in F were surprised there was no entertainment on board (no monitors, personal or otherwise) for the 5h+ flight. Flight attendant suggested to all passengers they "entertain themselves."

I wrote to UA Customer Care. Got response "Thank you for contacting us. We apologize for the delay in responding. Although we have upgraded our Boeing 737-900 series aircraft, the entertainment portion is being completed later in the year. I am very sorry for the inconvenience. We ask for your patience while it is in completion."

Do they really think it is normal not to have onboard entertainment at this day and age on transcontinental flights? (Or schedule those aircraft for transcon?)
Yes it's normally especially since the 739ER fleet are scheduled on all flights operated with that type not just certain flights. For example one flight an IFEless bird might do EWR - BOS and then next flight it might go to SFO and after that to DEN.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Not uncommon on the 737s, soon to be normal on the Airbuses.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 9:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
especially common for "new" 739, IFE is not install until post delivery and due to backlog, are operated dark for awhile.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nt-system.html
Old Jun 26, 2013, 9:28 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
Some "modern" PMCO 737 planes are being delivered with no entertainment to choose from. It reminds me of Northwest. It is also disgusting what the management is choosing to do to Airbus planes. They had free movies and music. I read they will be taking screens out. Welcome to the new United, I mean the continentalized United.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:20 pm

... and they are removing the entertainment system on airbii's.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:28 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver

Ever fly transcon on US? They have no IFE equipment on board at all. If you didn't bring your own fun (or something you can connect to the Gogo service), you're staring at the seatback for 5+ hours.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:53 am

Yes, the non 739 IFEs make there way onto EWR-SFO/LAX quite a bit. I recently scheduled myself on a 753 so I would have either DTV or a overhead monitor as opposed to nothing
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K
No IFE or audio on UA 739 SFO - EWR

Brand new plane and the flight attendant claims they install av after the plane has been in use for 3-6 months. Really? Don't think so. Is UA trying to create cost savings on their Trans con route?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, lml4400
Originally Posted by lml4400
Brand new plane and the flight attendant claims they install av after the plane has been in use for 3-6 months. Really? Don't think so. ...
Why? The FAs response does fit the pattern that has been noticed in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...t-updates.html thread and noted in this thread.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond
Do the Power ports work on these birds with no IFE

Flying #3468 (2013 new del) and FLEET STATUS spreadsheet says no in seat power and mobile.united.com says in seat power.
Who wins?
Old Aug 2, 2013, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Pi7473000
I read they will be taking screens out. Welcome to the new United, I mean the continentalized United.
Well this completely misses the mark. CO had DirecTV installed in most of its 737 fleet, and planned 100% coverage, prior to the merger. It was UA which lagged far behind in on-board entertainment in its domestic fleet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.