Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Throwaway Tickets , such as book RT but only use OW - any issues with UA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
from Wikipedia's Airline booking ploys
Throwaway ticketing is purchasing a ticket with the intent to use only a portion of the included travel. This situation may arise when a passenger wants to travel only one way, but where the discounted round-trip excursion fare is cheaper than a one-way ticket
Hidden city ticketing (HCT) is a variant of throwaway ticketing. The passenger books a ticket to a fictitious destination (the "hidden" city) with a connection at the intended destination, walks away at the connection node, and discards the remaining segment.
Consolidated "Hidden City Ticketing Questions"
Print Wikipost

Throwaway Tickets , such as book RT but only use OW - any issues with UA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
It would be surprising to see the cost of MEX-LAX + LAX-IAH being substantially cheaper than just buying the MEX-IAH flight
Would not be surprising at all. LAX-IAH is what, $125 one way if you get a cheap advance purchase?

Heck, it might even be cheaper to fly MEX-IAH-LAX-IAH, IAH-LAX-IAH-MEX with the way the markets are fared out.

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
and being satisfied that one isn't spending most of a day on planes to save a few bucks.
That's the value right there. It's up to the OP if he has the time to kill.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by oavcech
Do you mean MEX-IAH-LAX-IAH-MEX?
I checked and it's only 290 USD which is great
But I would end up not using 2 flights.
sorry for jumping in what everyone is trying to tell you is , if you tkt any onward travel after the MEX-IAH and dont fly it its a very good chance every flight after the MEX-IAH will be canceled on you, including the IAH-MEX

I guess the question I dont have an answer to is how much would a tkt cost to fly say MEX-SFO-IAH stay in IAH and then fly IAH-MEX and is it possible to do an immediate turn @ SFO and fly right back to IAH the same day you got to SFO. taht way you would be purchasing a cheap MEX-SFO tkt that would cost less then a MEX-IAH tkt , youd fly all the segments earning alot of Miles and end up @ IAH for the time you need to be there

OT I have a NY-SIN trip in a couple of weeks.I was flying via LAX and for the heck of it decided to see how much more it would cost if I left the day before and overnighted @ LAX figured this way I could cut 6 hrs out of flight and get into SIN eventually not a complete zombie.To my surprise it was the exact same amount as if I flew NY-LA-NRT-SIN all in the same day. and thats exactly what Im doing. My NY-SFO-SYD flights knocked me out

again I dont know if you can do as iI posted but it cant hurt to price it out, I guess it depends on the routing rules
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:32 pm

Would it be easier if I book MEX-IAH-LAX LAX-IAH-MEX and I loose my trip to L.A.? I can even say that I was planning to go to LA but lost my flight and I did not wanted to buy a new ticket to L.A. so I prefer to stay at Houston
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would it be easier if I book MEX-IAH-LAX LAX-IAH-MEX and I loose my trip to L.A.? I can even say that I was planning to go to LA but lost my flight and I did not wanted to buy a new ticket to L.A. so I prefer to stay at Houston
Come on, we have given you lots of advice and told you of consequences of not flying a leg. Now you need to decide what you need and can do. You need to get online and start doing some research into costs for a ticket that won't cause these problems. We have given you lots of options. Now it's up to you. If it is medical reasons you don't want to do any of these connecting type flights or dropping legs and can only do the non-stop then you need to decide if getting the miles for the extra $100+ is worth it for the CO flights or just go with the cheaper Aeromexico flights. You seem to be very hesitant to fly through any other city to get to IAH from MEX even if it may be cheaper. And with this latest thing on your return ticket you would not be flying the first leg, LAX-IAH so they would cancel the ticket. You can't book legs and not fly them unless it is the very last leg of the entire itinerary (which is still frowned upon).
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If I book them separately it will cost me a lot more.
If I did happen to travel and they cancel my trip my only excuse would be that I had to stay at Houston for medical reasons (my actual trip is for medical reasons) and that I had a flight with another airline from L.A. to Houston but lost it.
Medical reasons are what trip insurance is for. The carrier will likely reinstitute your itinerary, refare it, and the insurance would cover the difference once you properly documented the medical reason.

Believe it not, you aren't the only one who has thought of this and it gets tried hundreds of times a day with almost uniform results.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
MEX-SEA is even cheaper than LAX and is a one-way fare market out of IAH for lower CO fares.

Again, throwaway is against the rules, but if there were availability on your dates, you could do:

Ticket 1: MEX-IAH-SEA for $193 (not fly IAH-SEA)
Ticket 2: IAH-SEA-SFO-MEX for $263

Total: $456 and since you're on two (2) tickets, the loss of the IAH-SEA leg wouldn't impact your return.

If you're going to do throw-away like that, book an overnight connection for IAH-SEA so it looks like you're going to stop there anyway. Otherwise if there are IRROPS, they could reroute you direct to SEA and you wouldn't have much you could say about it (not that CO is proactive in IRROPS like that, but there's always a chance). With an overnight in IAH, you could always say you need to go to IAH before heading to SEA. Int'l fares typically allow up to 24-hour connections.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:57 pm

Programs: none
Nope.

Now you are asking if you can skip TWO legs of your trip.

Figure out a different way.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 9:05 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Well, if you're going to do anything to get your wish, you may as well go for the gold. How about wearing nothing but Kim Kardashian-inspired lingerie before boarding your IAH-LAX flight? That way, they will deny boarding without you providing any fake story.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
Here's something that has worked for me in the past: upon landing at IAH, go to a ticket counter just past Customs and tell them your plans have changed and you need to cancel the IAH-LAX portion of the ticket but you will still need the return portion of your ticket.

When I did this last year, the airport agent was more than happy to accommodate my request. Your mileage may vary but this has been successful for me. They didn't cancel the return portion of my ticket. Until you get to IAH and make the request, you don't know what's going to happen.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 9:48 pm

If you have status (Gold or higher), I suppose you could also tell the agent at IAH that you are ill and want to spend the night here. Then you could SDC every 24 hours until you are ready to go home (it would be IAH->LAX->IAH->MEX).
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Baze
Most likely.
+1 Almost certainly.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:13 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by bsmnsr
Here's something that has worked for me in the past: upon landing at IAH, go to a ticket counter just past Customs and tell them your plans have changed and you need to cancel the IAH-LAX portion of the ticket but you will still need the return portion of your ticket.

When I did this last year, the airport agent was more than happy to accommodate my request. Your mileage may vary but this has been successful for me. They didn't cancel the return portion of my ticket. Until you get to IAH and make the request, you don't know what's going to happen.
At worst, they will re calculate the ticket and charge you the going rate for the new itenerary. You may be hit with a change fee and rebooking charges.

At best, you may get them to do it no charge.

I wouldn't expect a refund for the unused portion, though.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:51 pm
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Originally Posted by Baze
Come on, we have given you lots of advice and told you of consequences of not flying a leg. Now you need to decide what you need and can do. You need to get online and start doing some research into costs for a ticket that won't cause these problems. We have given you lots of options. Now it's up to you. If it is medical reasons you don't want to do any of these connecting type flights or dropping legs and can only do the non-stop then you need to decide if getting the miles for the extra $100+ is worth it for the CO flights or just go with the cheaper Aeromexico flights. You seem to be very hesitant to fly through any other city to get to IAH from MEX even if it may be cheaper. And with this latest thing on your return ticket you would not be flying the first leg, LAX-IAH so they would cancel the ticket. You can't book legs and not fly them unless it is the very last leg of the entire itinerary (which is still frowned upon).
+1
OP - if you insist on playing games, you need to realize that you are undertaking a risky strategy and could be stuck in Houston without a ticket back to MEX.

Originally Posted by bsmnsr
This is risky in case they won't do it.

Originally Posted by Allan38103
At worst, they will re calculate the ticket and charge you the going rate for the new itenerary. You may be hit with a change fee and rebooking charges.
Actually, at worst, the remainder of the itinerary will be cancelled.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 5:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by uwr
+1
OP - if you insist on playing games, you need to realize that you are undertaking a risky strategy and could be stuck in Houston without a ticket back to MEX.

This is risky in case they won't do it.

Actually, at worst, the remainder of the itinerary will be cancelled.
At worst:
1. Remainder of itinerary cancelled;
2. FF Account zeroed out and closed;
3. Original ticket refared. If there is an add/collect, it is collected against CC you paid with.
4. You are stuck at an airport and forced to buy a walk-up fare to your final destination (typically 9-10 times the price of deepest discount).

All of this presumes that there is space on a flight to acommodate you. That's something which is no longer a given in light of capacity cuts. Not as though anybody is going to go out of the way to acommodate you.

This is a silly game of Russian Roulette. You can do this once and get caught and do it 100 times and never get caught.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 9:04 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
oavcech, when are your desired travel dates?

I also echo what the others are saying - don't fool around with throwaway segments in the middle of your trip. That's just asking for trouble, most likely in the form of cancelling the rest of your itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.