Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2012]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2012]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2012, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Is there currently a GS security bypass at LAX, similar to the one at SFO? Or are GSs lumped in with "Premier Access"?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by wxguy
Is there currently a GS security bypass at LAX, similar to the one at SFO? Or are GSs lumped in with "Premier Access"?
Lumped. And slow, especially so before 6am. The upstairs line from the parking garage to Terminal 7 is frequently faster than the T6 "Premium" line.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Ari
We know the following from this and previous threads:

... there has to be a metric other than total spend and FFM and the only metric that remains to distinguish between such travelers is yield (cents per mile)...
Except we know that neither FFM nor revenue is entirely determinative of invitations because of the discrepancies we have seen time and time again between those invited and those not.
Agree with your premise that there may be other considerations than the raw measure of "how many miles of F/A/C/J etc. did you fly?" (at least this year; in the preceding 3 years, requalifying was a simple matter of meeting the required number). But your statement that "the only metric that remains to distinguish between such travelers is yield" assumes United knows nothing else about its customers - and that simply isn't true. In many cases, they know who you work for, and that could positively help FF's who work for a big customer; another factor they certainly know about is whether you are a complainer or not; and they know where you fly to and from. Yield is not the only thing that United cares about; they're interested in rewarding influencers, and they're interested in keeping their competition at bay.

Last edited by SportsTech; Jan 23, 2012 at 10:06 pm
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:29 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SportsTech
Lumped.

In many cases, they know who you work for, and that could positively help FF's who work for a big customer; another factor they certainly know about is whether you are a complainer or not; and they know where you fly to and from. Yield is not the only thing that United cares about; they're interested in rewarding influencers, and they're interested in keeping their competition at bay.
You are correct-- there are other possibilities-- but the computer does most of the work.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 2:00 am

Programs: MP Ag, former 1K
Lumped. And slow, especially so before 6am. The upstairs line from the parking garage to Terminal 7 is frequently faster than the T6 "Premium" line.
I always go through terminal 6. I have found it to be pretty good.

United separates the feeder lines into security from the terminal 6 side into 4 lines. GM gets 1 line, *G gets 1 line, FC + GS + 1K + PS get 2 lines.

Of course, once you get past the feeder lines, then you're back with everyone waiting to go through the scanners. That part usually takes longer.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, F9 Summit, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat
Updated some items, added others.

Anyone comment on the RCC or new "United Club" or how about luggage tags (guessing no one knows that one)?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 1:43 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Skacorica
Dedicated security lines at some restaurants such as SFO, (more?)
Restaurants?

ORD has a dedicated security line for GS and International F. IAD has one midfield for passengers connecting from international flights.

Potential Benefits

-Ability at times to open Star Alliance award seats when none are available.
This is not a benefit of GS, real or potential. I don't know why you are leaving it up here-- do you have any evidence of this happening more than once or twice? This sounds much more like a classic United "one-time exception" if it ever actually happened. United can't force open award space on partners, so the only thing they could possibly do is bypass StarNET blocking (which is supposed to be a big no-no, by the way).

[RCC access w/o membership (on flight cancellations? or all the time?)
It might happen from time to time-- more accurately on rare occassions-- but certainly not all the time.

[CO luggage tags for PPE (confirm this still happens?)
As of March 3rd of this year, PPE will be dead. The PPE luggage tags came with the card, so if Continental is still sending out status-matched cards, the they are still sending out luggage tags. I should note that all elite members on Continental get some sort of baggage tags.

We don't know yet if GS 2012 or Premier 2012 will include luggage tags (It would be nice).
Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:37 pm

Companion upgrade policy for Global Services

The United Website suggests
"one companion traveling on the same reservation as a Premier member will also be eligible for a Complimentary Premier Upgrade on select flights, and may be confirmed with the same priority as the Premier member, even on day of departure."

Is this the case for Global Services too? Do they have a different policy for more than 2 travelers on the same itenerary?

More specifically, if I have 4 travelers (including myself) on the same paid domestic itinerary, do I:

1) automatically get two UDU/CPUs and have to use two regional upgrades beforehand?
2) all four in the party UDU/CPUs ?
3) since there are more than 2 in my party, will I have to use all regional upgrades assuming the system would only process UDUs for a party of 2?
4) Call GS line and ask them?

thanks

Last edited by bowhi; Jan 24, 2012 at 9:43 pm
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by davewang202
I always go through terminal 6. I have found it to be pretty good.

United separates the feeder lines into security from the terminal 6 side into 4 lines. GM gets 1 line, *G gets 1 line, FC + GS + 1K + PS get 2 lines.

Of course, once you get past the feeder lines, then you're back with everyone waiting to go through the scanners. That part usually takes longer.
After 5:30am, it gets better - but I have had way too many annoying experiences with early morning flights going through the T6 "premium" security. Yes, high status passengers get to the ID checker almost immediately - but after that, it can take 20+ minutes to get past TSA. Early morning they only staff 2 lines, and they often put training crews on duty there too.

Here's how bad it is: worse than Vegas. Which is embarrassing, considering how much business UA does through LAX.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:57 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bowhi
The United Website suggests
"one companion traveling on the same reservation as a Premier member will also be eligible for a Complimentary Premier Upgrade on select flights, and may be confirmed with the same priority as the Premier member, even on day of departure."

Is this the case for Global Services too? Do they have a different policy for more than 2 travelers on the same itenerary?
Under the UDU/CPU program, the GS member can upgrade one and only one companion.

Originally Posted by bowhi
More specifically, if I have 4 travelers (including myself) on the same paid domestic itinerary, do I:

1) automatically get two UDU/CPUs and have to use two regional upgrades beforehand?
2) all four in the party UDU/CPUs ?
3) since there are more than 2 in my party, will I have to use all regional upgrades assuming the system would only process UDUs for a party of 2?
4) Call GS line and ask them?
You need two different reservations: Reservation 1 will be you and a companion; once you issue the ticket, the computer will automatically put a UDU/CPU request in the reservation for both passeners and the upgrades will clear based on the UDU/CPU process. Reservation 2 will be the other two passengers; just go in and sponsor them with your regional upgrades like you would sponsor any upgrade. You can do it all online.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, F9 Summit, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Ari
Restaurants?

ORD has a dedicated security line for GS and International F. IAD has one midfield for passengers connecting from international flights.
Typo.

Originally Posted by Ari
This is not a benefit of GS, real or potential. I don't know why you are leaving it up here-- do you have any evidence of this happening more than once or twice? This sounds much more like a classic United "one-time exception" if it ever actually happened. United can't force open award space on partners, so the only thing they could possibly do is bypass StarNET blocking (which is supposed to be a big no-no, by the way).
Definitely an exception, but still something that *has* happened. Will consider removing.

Originally Posted by Ari
As of March 3rd of this year, PPE will be dead. The PPE luggage tags came with the card, so if Continental is still sending out status-matched cards, the they are still sending out luggage tags. I should note that all elite members on Continental get some sort of baggage tags.

We don't know yet if GS 2012 or Premier 2012 will include luggage tags (It would be nice).
This I know, this was pre-March. I will update accordingly.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by wxguy
They've split the Premier Access line at T-7 so now GS, 1K, and international J & F (and I believe p.s. J & F, as well) are in the far right. The Premier Access lane (including domestic F) is in the middle, and the regular lane is on the left. The randomness of calling people to the podium hasn't changed, though.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA CK MM, HH Diamond, SPG Prem Plat
Originally Posted by allikator
Believe it. I was dropped from UGS to 1K with around 80K full fare miles, around 280k total EQM. No idea on spend.

With VX into PHL now and better foreign flag carriers for my int'l C trips, they'll get what they consider me, 100k in low fare domestic.
Nevermind. Fixed now. GS in 2012. Whew.

VX's gonna still get some flights cause SFO-PHL is cut throat, but I'm back in the fold for international C.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by allikator
Nevermind. Fixed now. GS in 2012. Whew.

VX's gonna still get some flights cause SFO-PHL is cut throat, but I'm back in the fold for international C.
How was it fixed? Inquire minds want to know!
Old Jan 25, 2012, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA CK MM, HH Diamond, SPG Prem Plat
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
How was it fixed? Inquire minds want to know!
As all things UA are fixed, call again and get the right agent to help you.

I've got some special circumstances (some year-end travel had booked to LH accidentally), but it was good to see that things were easy to sort out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.