Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2012]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2012]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2012, 2:18 am

Programs: United 1K (after 15 years GS) 3MM, Marriott LTTitanium
Originally Posted by Excalibur
Lost GS for the moment, but am hoping to regain it via a revenue challenge in the coming months. .

Did you ask for the challenge, or did they offer?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by twebst
Did you ask for the challenge, or did they offer?
I didn't ask for the challege directly, but wrote the Global Services email after I was informed I didn't make it (pre-3/3, when we actually got timely responses) and asked them to reconsider since the 67K FF miles I flew (mainly domestic Y and B class) was more than enough historically. They wrote back offering the revenue challenge that others have received, $15K of flown spend in 90 days. Normally a daunting task, but this winter it looks like I'll just make it. I bet a similar requalification challenge is there for the asking, in the unlikely event you can get through to anyone.

Anyone else with post-3/3 experiences with the special GS unpublished perks?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:31 pm

Programs: United 1K (after 15 years GS) 3MM, Marriott LTTitanium
Thanks.

Thanks. Not sure that I want to beg. I have over 15K booked. Guess that is why I didn't get an offer.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
A better question

How many GS are now determined to not make GS for next year based on the past two weeks and/or likely lessened GS treatment compared to PMUA?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: UA: GS, 1.5MM, LH-FT, SQ A380 First Flight
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
How many GS are now determined to not make GS for next year based on the past two weeks and/or likely lessened GS treatment compared to PMUA?
Sitting back and waiting right now. I don't think I will make up my mind based on several bad experiences in the last two weeks.
... after all they are going through a very singular and unusual time right now.

But the day will come when their grace period is up. And I sure hope I will be a happy camper by then again.

LH has put together a very nice hard product in intl. F and their soft product has allways been great.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:37 am

Programs: AA ExPlat; UA GS (via MM companion); SPG
Possible to get on upgrade waitlist when upgrading award seats?

Here's the deal:

Booked me+1 on a saver economy transatlantic award flight (the leg I want is UA metal) in October.

Want to apply 2 GPUs and waitlist for business seats.

Called GS line late last night, was told that wasn't possible, that instead, must watch for award availability (R or RN) and call when I see it.

Asked about needing 2 vs 1 at a time. There, they said if only 1 award seat showed up at a time, could split PNR no prob as the +1 (Mom, no status) would inherit my status since I'd used my miles & GPU, and upgrade the +1, then wait for another occasion of R,RN > 0.

------------

Is that correct? (No waitlisting when trying to upgrade with instruments off award seats as a GS?)

I can set up ExpertFlyer alerts, but this would still be suboptimal vs waitlisting, esp if a split-PNR waitlist was possible with the +1 also receiving my status on the list.

Thanks.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Ambassador/Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by flyer215
Here's the deal:

Booked me+1 on a saver economy transatlantic award flight (the leg I want is UA metal) in October.

Want to apply 2 GPUs and waitlist for business seats.

Called GS line late last night, was told that wasn't possible, that instead, must watch for award availability (R or RN) and call when I see it.

Asked about needing 2 vs 1 at a time. There, they said if only 1 award seat showed up at a time, could split PNR no prob as the +1 (Mom, no status) would inherit my status since I'd used my miles & GPU, and upgrade the +1, then wait for another occasion of R,RN > 0.

------------

Is that correct? (No waitlisting when trying to upgrade with instruments off award seats as a GS?)

I can set up ExpertFlyer alerts, but this would still be suboptimal vs waitlisting, esp if a split-PNR waitlist was possible with the +1 also receiving my status on the list.

Thanks.
In the past, the upgrade space always had to be available to upgrade an award ticket. No wait listing.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Cuse44
In the past, the upgrade space always had to be available to upgrade an award ticket. No wait listing.
Thx, that's okay then, just wanted to make sure I didn't get a rogue answer by chance.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by flyer215
Here's the deal:
This is actually good news, and shockingly may be one of the few things I've heard that is better under the new system. Yes, under PMUA you had to have NC space available, no waitlisting. If there were >2 seats, you could request to clear right away. But if there was just 1 seat, you had a dilemma--they could split the PNR and clear the GS member, but once the GM was on their own, they would NEVER be able to be upgraded since they were no longer on the same PNR as a GS member. With the PMCO way of an award ticket holder inheriting the status of the sponsor, it sounds like this dilemma has been resolved and you should grab the 1 R seat while you can.

However, I imagine that this enhancement is probably more than offset by what I assume to be the new situation with upgrades at the airport. Under PMUA, if you were on an award ticket and R never opened up before the day of the flight, you just told the check-in agent to add you and your companion to the upgrade list at the airport supported by your instrument, and you would clear under normal rules. Now, with the new restrictions on requesting an upgrade within 24 hours, I imagine that this is no longer possible--either you see the R space in advance, or you're never going to get it. Experiences/thoughts on this?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 1:11 pm

How bout the 5 seats / 5 days rule for pushing through an upgrade? Will they still apply that one if the base seats are award seats?

If so, might make up for the 24-hour no-new-upgrades "limitation"...
Old Mar 20, 2012, 3:48 pm

I'm a UA 1K, probably spent $70,000 ($30K UA, $20K Singapore, $20K Other) in 2011.

I've already spent about $10K with UA YTD and about to purchase another $15K worth of Int'l travel and have a budget of $80K for the year (last doesn't include my team of 50).

Do I spread it across partner airlines for non-stop ease-of-travel (example: EWR-SIN x 3 trips this year) or dedicate and "hope" for GS?

I've never been GS, so I have no idea ...
Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by CommodityGuy
I'm a UA 1K, probably spent $70,000 ($30K UA, $20K Singapore, $20K Other) in 2011.

I've already spent about $10K with UA YTD and about to purchase another $15K worth of Int'l travel and have a budget of $80K for the year (last doesn't include my team of 50).

Do I spread it across partner airlines for non-stop ease-of-travel (example: EWR-SIN x 3 trips this year) or dedicate and "hope" for GS?

I've never been GS, so I have no idea ...
What is your travel pattern / what do you try to get out of GS ?

If you travel also a lot inside the US and want free upgraded on those trips it can be worth it. If you are international only and always fly in premium class (C or F) I would just go for the better airline / better flight time.

I am currently GS and considering dropping down to 1K and fly A* partners. I will miss on some US upgrades but I don't fly enough domestic to really care that much. Also I already pick F9 and WN (gasp) if their US schedule suits me better. I can be in Y for 2 hours if I am home earlier.

If you spend 80k with most of it in premium classes you would for sure get GS. You can read on the additional advantages you will have with GS and need to decide if any of them are worth it to you.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by German Expat
What is your travel pattern / what do you try to get out of GS ?

If you travel also a lot inside the US and want free upgraded on those trips it can be worth it. If you are international only and always fly in premium class (C or F) I would just go for the better airline / better flight time.

I am currently GS and considering dropping down to 1K and fly A* partners. I will miss on some US upgrades but I don't fly enough domestic to really care that much. Also I already pick F9 and WN (gasp) if their US schedule suits me better. I can be in Y for 2 hours if I am home earlier.

If you spend 80k with most of it in premium classes you would for sure get GS. You can read on the additional advantages you will have with GS and need to decide if any of them are worth it to you.
Thanks for the insight and recommendations. I travel 8-10 times to London, 2-3 time per year to Singapore, 1-2 times to Sao Paulo, plus various inter-regional flights. I don't do a lot of domestic (US) travel, maybe 5-10 trips per year domestically.

What do I hope to get out of it? Honestly, I would spend more with a particular airline if I felt they were trying to make my travel more enjoyable and easier. In 2011, I traveled close to 150,000 miles on Y, B, M or similar and felt not one ounce of love as a Platinum ... was rarely ever cleared for upgrades until boarding time, and three times I was already in my coach seat when the upgrade cleared. Appreciated, but a painful process.

Flying ain't what it used to be :/
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, BA Silver, Marriott Gold
[QUOTE
-Ability to open award and upgrade First and Business seats when none are available.[/QUOTE]

Sorry if this has been addressed but I could not find it in the thread. Are GSs able to get First or Business seat awards opened up for them still?

I had a discussion with an extremely rude and unprofessional GS Supervisor the other night (after the prequisite 1 hour hold), who told me that that they no longer open up award seats for GS. I was asking as UA had messed up an existing reservation and thought as a favor they could open a seat for me to make up for their error.

Is this true or is this a mis-informed supervisor?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Originally Posted by ExRSA
[QUOTE
-Ability to open award and upgrade First and Business seats when none are available.
Sorry if this has been addressed but I could not find it in the thread. Are GSs able to get First or Business seat awards opened up for them still?

I had a discussion with an extremely rude and unprofessional GS Supervisor the other night (after the prequisite 1 hour hold), who told me that that they no longer open up award seats for GS. I was asking as UA had messed up an existing reservation and thought as a favor they could open a seat for me to make up for their error.

Is this true or is this a mis-informed supervisor?[/QUOTE]

CO did not, and I don't think this is the case anymore for opening inventory.

Also I think instead of 5/5 it is now tied to specific inventory buckets (sometime last seat). In 2 cabin I believe it's PN

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.