Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2012]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2012]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I asked them last Thursday when at ORD and the answer was "We don't know".

When I called the GS desk and asked them (based on a few posts here that indicated that GS status was given to some for 2012), the agent (who I have dealt with for years and who I know to be knowledgable) said that they can't see any indication of renewed status, and that with the merger, it is taking UA longer to calculate who will be eligible.
And yet they annoint new members like me? I have yet to receive any formal notification from UAL but did call in to confirm that I am now GS for 2012. You would think they would get the requalified notices out first and then invite the newbies like me! Is this year an anamoly due to the merger?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 4:29 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Just hit GS today; oddly enough it showed up as PPlat first and then GS a few days later on UA. Probably ~$35K in F/A/J/C/D/Z spend total in 2011 plus a bunch of other random <Y/B fares. Total BIS about 140K.

Last edited by glx; Jan 16, 2012 at 4:46 pm
Old Jan 16, 2012, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA GS, MM
Originally Posted by flyer215

also, "revenue" is supposedly not accurate either... apparently only F A J C D Z Y B fares (the same ones listed as "full fare") count.
Wait.... do D and Z count as FF??!?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 4:46 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by liddy0021
Wait.... do D and Z count as FF??!?
FF is an invalid metric made up by random people here. It's "Premium" fares, which include D and Z.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 5:52 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ECOTONE
I never called GS again for a family member related travel issue, so I don't know if this is a typical service or just a one-time rarity.
I frown upon using elite resources on non-elites; I think they usually help, but I'm not sure that they should.

Originally Posted by glx
FF is an invalid metric made up by random people here. It's "Premium" fares, which include D and Z.
People here say "FF" because they show as "Full Fare Miles" on the My Activity tab of My Mileage Plus on united.com. The field only shows on GS accounts.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 6:21 pm
glx

Originally Posted by Ari

People here say "FF" because they show as "Full Fare Miles" on the My Activity tab of My Mileage Plus on united.com. The field only shows on GS accounts.
Hopefully this will settle it once and for all. Here's the "Full Fare Miles" from the page source on the website:

<em class="tooltip" tooltip_message="Miles you earn with certain tickets on United® and United Express®. You'll get one full-fare mile for each mile of the flight (booking codes F or A in first class, J, C, D, or Z in business class and Y or B in economy).">Full-fare miles
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
First draft qual/requals already occurred. Second draft picks occur on January 19th. Third round picks occur before Jan 31. Requal challenges will be sent to select members that don't make the cut. The requal challenge will be based on total spend in any fare class.

Primary criteria used in first draft is total spend in F/A/J/C/D/Z/Y/B on UA/CO. Second draft takes UA/CO FF miles and total spend (any fare) into account. Third round all depends on how many members were selected in the first two rounds.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 7:50 am

Programs: UA GS, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by jgsx
First draft qual/requals already occurred. Second draft picks occur on January 19th. Third round picks occur before Jan 31. Requal challenges will be sent to select members that don't make the cut. The requal challenge will be based on total spend in any fare class.

Primary criteria used in first draft is total spend in F/A/J/C/D/Z/Y/B on UA/CO. Second draft takes UA/CO FF miles and total spend (any fare) into account. Third round all depends on how many members were selected in the first two rounds.

Hope that helps.
When you say 'already occurred,' do you mean that the status changed or that notifications went out? Just wondering because my status changed to GS in mid-Dec from 1K but I've gotten no notification yet.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Same question here. I am pretty sure I will get GS requal based on FF spend (about $50K UA FF metal, excluding fees, taxes, etc). But no word for UA yet.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by maddie1004
When you say 'already occurred,' do you mean that the status changed or that notifications went out? Just wondering because my status changed to GS in mid-Dec from 1K but I've gotten no notification yet.
For new quals, you the status was already awarded. So since you switched to GS in mid-Dec, you made first draft. For requals, it is more complicated since you can't see a status change. First draft requals were already selected. WHQ and GSCS agents can see who made that, but phone operators / front line employees can't. Some people were indirectly notified about requalifitying.

The official notifications are all to occur by month's end.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:56 pm
glx

Originally Posted by jgsx
For new quals, you the status was already awarded. So since you switched to GS in mid-Dec, you made first draft. For requals, it is more complicated since you can't see a status change. First draft requals were already selected. WHQ and GSCS agents can see who made that, but phone operators / front line employees can't. Some people were indirectly notified about requalifitying.

The official notifications are all to occur by month's end.
Doesn't seem to jive with the fact that my status just changed to GS on Friday...
Old Jan 17, 2012, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by glx
Doesn't seem to jive with the fact that my status just changed to GS on Friday...
Then you were a first round pick. They were not done all on one day. I am somewhat limited in what I can say. All I said was that first round is complete.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:43 pm

In line with others here, I logged onto the United website today to check on flight status and my status is 'Global Services'...
no notification or other indication, so I guess I am second round then? Regardless, do any current GS know if all the benefits are sent in a package like for other status levels, or do you have to learn via other sources like flyertalk and their help desk. I'm really curious about some of the rumored perks, particularly related to award flights. Thanks
Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Ambassador/Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bowhi
In line with others here, I logged onto the United website today to check on flight status and my status is 'Global Services'...
no notification or other indication, so I guess I am second round then? Regardless, do any current GS know if all the benefits are sent in a package like for other status levels, or do you have to learn via other sources like flyertalk and their help desk. I'm really curious about some of the rumored perks, particularly related to award flights. Thanks
I don't remember if all the perks were specifically listed in my welcome packet. Some perks I can think of for GS:

1. Upgrade award tickets using instruments (assuming upgrade inventory is avail, no waitlisting)
2. Convert upgrade space to saver award space (some report having to ask specifically for this benefit but whenever I have called in the agents seem to have it "built in" to their view and just automatically apply it.
3. 5 day, 5 seat - If there are greater than 5 seats available for sale within the GS window (120 hrs), most GS agents will force you upgrade through. I am not sure if it is exactly 5 seats, or varies depending the equipment, but it worked for my wife and I on an A320 with F6 at the 5-day GS UDU window a couple of weeks ago.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:35 am

Programs: United GS
No requal for me this year - don't remember my exact stats but it was something like 100K EQM and 42K FFM, maybe 30K-40K total spend?

I didn't think I would get it, but still had a bit of hope since with so few flights (less than 25 segments overall) my per-flight revenue was quite high. Still, no one likes to see "Unfortunately, your United flight activity in 2011 did not qualify you for another year of Global Services membership."

At least the extension to March covers a few more trips for me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.