Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mileage Plus Shopping - consolidated mileage posting questions / issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Little bit of backstory:

I have miles expiring at the end of the month, and heard I could go to mileageplusshopping.com, buy a $1 song on iTunes, and this would count as activity for my account and extend my miles another 18 months.

Anyways, I did this around 12/24/11, and the MP Shopping site acknowledged I earned 1 mile on 12/30/11. However, checking my MP account on united.com, it still doesn't register that I earned this extra mile, and so my miles are still set to expire at the end of the month. Now I heard it could take 60-90 days for miles to process, but I thought once they posted to the MP Shopping Site, they should show up relatively quickly in my actual mileage account? Just wondering if it's normal for it to take another couple weeks for it to show up on United.com, or if I should start contacting someone to see what the issue is.

Also, I did check to make sure I used the same MP account on united.com and the MP Shopping site. Anyways, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Welcome to FlyerTalk !

It can take awhile to see the miles post to your Mileage Plus account, even after they have show up on the shopping portal.
As long as 6-8 weeks, though I rarely see it take that long.

If I read the post correctly, you have until the end of January, so you have some time to wait.

There are more immediate ways of getting miles to post, such as purchasing miles from the CO site. You can always use this as a backup if it gets to the end of the month and you still do not have activity.

(This assumes you have a CO account and linked it to your UA account).

Now that I think about it, do you have a CO account? Transferring a few miles from your CO account to your UA account might show as activity....
Old Jan 5, 2012, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I thought once the miles posted to the MP shopping site it would show up on United's site immediately, but seems that's not the case. Guess I'll wait a few more weeks and see what happens. Don't think I have a CO account (if I do, I imagine the miles there have expired long ago), but good to know I can buy miles as a last resort.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Thought of something else that will work better.

Register for Mileage Plus Dining and complete one dining activity.

Very easy to do. You register your credit card(s) with the site. Search the site for a nearby restaurant. Pay the bill (any amount) with your registered credit card and you earn a mile for every dollar.

These post much quicker and more reliably than the shopping mall activity. No problem to get the miles posted before the end of Jan.

http://mpdining.rewardsnetwork.com/
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:31 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Thought of something else that will work better...
The current favorite method in the master thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html is to move miles from UA MP to OP OP account (and back if needed). This is a no cost, immediate way to reset the mileage expiration.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 6:09 am

Programs: MP 1K
Originally Posted by macshane
Don't think I have a CO account (if I do, I imagine the miles there have expired long ago), but good to know I can buy miles as a last resort.
As the others have indicated, creating a new OP account and linking it to your MP account, then transferring the miles back and forth is probably the fastest solution, and has the added bonus of not costing a thing. It can be done even if you never intend to use the OP account for any other purpose. Of course, it will only work for Q1 until the two programs are merged for good.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:31 am

Just wanted to share my experience.

At united.com I saw "Mileage Balance expires on 3/31/2012".
At mileageplusshopping.com I clicked iTunes on 3/20/2012 and bought a song.*
At mileageplusshopping.com on 3/31/2012 it showed the transaction but with status "Pending".
At united.com on 3/31/2012 the mile hadn't showed up yet -- a bit of a worry.

Fast forward to yesterday and today.
At mileageplusshopping.com on 4/9/2012 it showed the transaction status "Confirmed".
At united.com on 4/10/2012 the mile was there, and added to the previous balance.

So it worked fine for me (even though I shoulda bought the song sooner for peace of mind).

I'm also using the mileageplusshopping.com browser search toolbar and got a few miles that way.

* I had a gift card balance in my iTunes account which also mighta screwed me up (by not letting me spend a dollar via the mileageplusshopping.com click-thru). I addressed that issue by just creating a second iTunes account.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I searched for a more specific thread about this promotion, but no luck in the search results.

I received an email at the end of July "There is still time to earn 300 bonus miles with MileagePlus Shopping" with the terms 300 bonus miles with $25 purchase from any online retailer by 8/7/2012.

I made my qualifying purchase on Aug 2, but have not seen any bonus miles post. I cannot locate any specific T&C mentioning time frame for posting, but typically it is 6-8 weeks.

The miles for my purchase show up on the mall site, and they have posted to my UA account. But no indication of pending promo bonus miles.

Anyone else participate in this promo? Seen any bonus miles posted?

[Moderator edit as moot since thread moved to Consolidated forum.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Sep 22, 2012 at 2:14 pm Reason: See note above.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: Continited, DL, KLM/AF, AA, US, AS, AC, VS, LH, BA, QF, NH
Download the MP Shopping search tool, do 3 searches. 3 searches = 1 mile, and no $$ out of your pocket.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NurseRatched
Download the MP Shopping search tool, do 3 searches. 3 searches = 1 mile, and no $$ out of your pocket.
I downloaded and used the search tool bar when it first came out (and even got bonus miles for it)...but miles for searches did not post reliably and the toolbar itself seemed flukey to me. I no longer have it installed.

I will use M+ shopping mall when it makes sense (bonus promotions, etc) but Chase UR points post quicker, more reliably, and it has better earning rates than M+ on almost all stores...and Chase UR transfers to M+ 1:1 basis, plus annual kicker.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 7:31 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Thumbs up

I used Mileage Plus shopping for the FIRST time last month. Bought a few things on shoes,com @ 6 miles per $. (earned 4652 miles & a very grateful girl friend) Miles credited in 2 weeks. WOW! I thought it would take at least 3-4 months at least
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:03 pm

What about miles from the United Mileage Plus explorer card? I've reached the spending amount i needed for the bonus... now... waiting?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mg0901
What about miles from the United Mileage Plus explorer card? I've reached the spending amount i needed for the bonus... now... waiting?
usually a few days after the statement/billing period closes.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I searched for a more specific thread about this promotion, but no luck in the search results.

I received an email at the end of July "There is still time to earn 300 bonus miles with MileagePlus Shopping" with the terms 300 bonus miles with $25 purchase from any online retailer by 8/7/2012.

I made my qualifying purchase on Aug 2, but have not seen any bonus miles post. I cannot locate any specific T&C mentioning time frame for posting, but typically it is 6-8 weeks.

The miles for my purchase show up on the mall site, and they have posted to my UA account. But no indication of pending promo bonus miles.

Anyone else participate in this promo? Seen any bonus miles posted?

[Moderator edit as moot since thread moved to Consolidated forum.]
update: 300 miles now show on my M+ shopping account and the miles have posted to my M+ account. Not bad...maybe they are getting better on these things...?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
This is ridiculous. I purchased $324.00 worth of bags, etc. from eBags.com with my MP Explorer Visa on 8/31 during a promotion of 18 miles/$. Miles have yet to post, so I called Chase. Chase sends me a letter saying that my purchase while shopping on MileagePlusShopping.com is a United-related issue and gave me the phone number to call. Called United this morning and the guy can't find my purchase, says he's going to have to transfer my call to the next rung. Waited on hold for another 10 minutes, then "click" the line goes dead. Total wasted time, 34 minutes.

Anyone else had an issue with miles not posting while shopping on mileageplusshopping.com? My Explorer card is registered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.