Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mileage Plus Shopping - consolidated mileage posting questions / issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Plus Shopping - consolidated mileage posting questions / issues

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Open_Road
A nice feature of MileagePlus Shopping, which doesn't seem to have been mentioned here before, is that it has 0.5 miles/$ for all bookings on Expedia, including flights. This is in contrast to all click-through cashback sites that I'm aware of, which have a small flat reward for flight bookings on Expedia and other third-party booking sites (e.g. $1.25 for Expedia flights on Ebates). For high-priced flights the miles should easily be worth more.

It's not a lot, but it seems like a nice little extra for basically nothing. Do you think this would be enough to justify booking United flights through Expedia rather than directly on the United site?
Wouldn't be enough for me. Trying to deal with Expedia instead of the 1K desk during any transactions (schedule changes, buy ups, etc) is quite a risk...
narvik and SuperKirby like this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:36 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I was surprised the other day how quickly my MP Shopping miles posted. Ordered a fridge from Home Depot online, and the miles posted the same day. In the past, I've always kept the receipts and everything knowing I will have to file missing miles reports, but the miles came before the fridge...
SuperKirby likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:05 pm

I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. As you can see on 9/9 it posted correctly.
After that it is just "blank". All my cookies are on and I never switch to a different website during a purchase.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:44 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
I've never used a "shopping portal" before, so maybe I'm going about this all wrong. I'm in the market for a new Micosoft Surface device and decided to check out the Mileage Plus shopping site.

I found a "Shop these offers available at Microsoft Store" page on the https://shopping.mileageplus.com site. When I clicked on a link on that page it leads me to sign in, but when I enter my MP number and password it responds

"Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps/sso/Login.aspx?" on this server.Reference #18.47acc117.1540834905.2576eb20"

So, what's the trick to access the site? Is there some pre-registration required?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 29, 2018 at 4:09 pm Reason: repaired link
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 1984SW
... So, what's the trick to access the site? Is there some pre-registration required?
Where were you located at time of access? Beleive is limited to the USA as is shipping
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:20 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
"Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps/sso/Login.aspx?" on this server.Reference #18.47acc117.1540834905.2576eb20"

So, what's the trick to access the site? Is there some pre-registration required?
Try again.

Last time I used the portal, I had to sign in 3 separate times before it "took."

The first time, it sent me back to the MyStatus page (?!). The second time, I got the "access denied" error. The third worked.

My Home Depot miles posted within 4 hours, though, once I actually got logged in and made a purchase. Fastest ever posting for me.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:53 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Where were you located at time of access? Beleive is limited to the USA as is shipping
You might be on to something there. I'm in Mexico and planning to visit family in USA in about a week so was checking on ordering via the UA portal and having stuff delivered to my sister's house in CA.

I just tried using a USA VPN and got the same error. Maybe the system is set to detect VPNs? I'd be a little surprised at that, given the state of UA's IT competence in general, but it's possible.

Originally Posted by exerda
Try again.

Last time I used the portal, I had to sign in 3 separate times before it "took."

The first time, it sent me back to the MyStatus page (?!). The second time, I got the "access denied" error. The third worked.

My Home Depot miles posted within 4 hours, though, once I actually got logged in and made a purchase. Fastest ever posting for me.
And, there is potential in your suggestion, too. At one point I had logged into my MP account first and then went to the portal. *One time* it worked and I was able to access the product page for the Microsoft Store via the portal, but haven't been able to reproduce that again.

Guess I'll just have to keep trying.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I just tried using a USA VPN and got the same error. Maybe the system is set to detect VPNs? I'd be a little surprised at that, given the state of UA's IT competence in general, but it's possible.
The portal may be UA branded, but it's operated by Cartera, so UA's IT isn't involved
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by exerda
Try again.

There's definitely issues with MP shopping, I've had issues on the last two purchases. Last week when the Apple offer was 5x miles I went and bought a new iPad, and my MP shopping account says a purchase for $0.00...when it should have been closer to $500. Also had an issue with a purchase a few days prior when Under Armour was 10x. That's around 3k miles total I'd really like to get credit for.

Is it really necessary to wait the 45 days to enquire like the *disclaimer says on the purchase history page?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:45 pm

I don't recall the timescale but I contacted MPS support about a $550 Newegg purchase that didnt register. They were very helpful said I need to wait X more days, but they would proactively recheck in X days. Sure enough they did and they emailed me saying they had confirmed my order and manually issued me the miles credit.

So it will do no harm to reach out to them now
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
I don't recall the timescale but I contacted MPS support about a $550 Newegg purchase that didnt register. They were very helpful said I need to wait X more days, but they would proactively recheck in X days. Sure enough they did and they emailed me saying they had confirmed my order and manually issued me the miles credit.

So it will do no harm to reach out to them now
I have had similar positive results multiple times.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:30 am

Yet another Newegg purchase of mine has gone to investigation. This one was for over $1500 and would allow me to qualify for the extra 5000 miles as part of the current "holiday promo" (see below). The response I received mentioned:
Since the reward for this order is rather large, it is our policy to investigate with the merchant to find out why it was not credited and attempt to obtain payment for the order in order to pass it back to you. Therefore, I am sending this order to be investigated immediately. Because a third party (newegg.com) will now be involved, we ask that you please allow 4-8 weeks for a definite resolution. However, we hope to have this issue resolved much sooner than that.

A representative will follow up with you periodically to let you know the status of your case. Also, keep in mind that on all orders purchased via MileagePlus Shopping, taxes, discount and shipping fees are not eligible to earn miles.

Please be aware that the resolution of this order will determine your eligibility for the bonus miles from the "Holiday Bonus" offer.
  • Spend $150 & earn 500 bonus miles
  • Spend $750 & earn 2,500 bonus miles
  • Spend $1,500 & earn 5,000 bonus miles

Anyone else ran into problems with large purchases, particularly when they were made during a promotion? I'm not sure if this is a large purchase issue or more of a Newegg issue. Either way, I'll be happy as long as I get my miles and bonus in the end.
SuperKirby likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
This happened to me with Dell. It took a while to resolve, but the Catera agent emailed me with periodic updates, even when there was nothing new to report.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:35 pm

My wife just got her own United Explorer Visa card with me as an auth user. I'm switching all of our spend over to this new account. I'm wondering if the Mileage Plus Shopping portal will be happy for me to sign in through her account but then make purchases in my name (but using her Visa - the one I'm an auth user on). Should be fine I think - as long as the shopping portal doesn't rely on a name cross check. I'd think it probably doesn't care how/who pays, just that the transaction completes after going through the portal to the retailer. If anyone knows different, I'd love to know.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:52 am

I've been waiting for two different Apple iMac purchases to post, one that's now two months old (which also qualified me for the 5000 mile fall bonus--I only qualified for 500 miles otherwise), and another one on their one-day 5x promotion on December 12 that should net me over 11,000 miles. Cartera says they have sent them to Apple for verification but still nothing other than the occasional "we are monitoring it" email from Cartera. I've made many purchases through MP Shopping (over 91k miles worth) and never had a missing mile request take this long. Is this wait typical for large purchases from Apple?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.