Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

upgrade to HKG - better chance via ORD or EWR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2012, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium

I am planning to fly to Hong Kong from NYC the end of next week (Fri 1/13). The non-stop ex EWR currently shows 21 seats unassigned in biz. This flight used to be CO but both the continental.com and united.com show it as operated by UA.

The UA flight ex ORD shows 26 seats unassigned.

I would prefer to take the EWR flight since it is a non-stop. However, I want to maximize my chance of an upgrade.

Would appreciate any insight as to whether I have a better chance on one versus the other. I will be using an SWU and am a 1K.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
I can say that the general consensus for PMUA flights is that ORD/SFO-HKG flights are in the top two or three most difficult routes to upgrade (HKG, SYD and SFO-FRA all vie for top honors).

Having said that, your date does look pretty open from either EWR or ORD. I would probably take the non-stop given that it eliminates the chance for your upgrade to clear, only to mis-connect.

Of course, the higher the booking class the better the shot. So if you are forced to buy M or above, given the current load I wouldn't be too nervous.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:00 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Discussed here in great detail:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-threads.html
(including EWR as well).
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
Originally Posted by cmhua777
I can say that the general consensus for PMUA flights is that ORD/SFO-HKG flights are in the top two or three most difficult routes to upgrade (HKG, SYD and SFO-FRA all vie for top honors).

Having said that, your date does look pretty open from either EWR or ORD. I would probably take the non-stop given that it eliminates the chance for your upgrade to clear, only to mis-connect.

Of course, the higher the booking class the better the shot. So if you are forced to buy M or above, given the current load I wouldn't be too nervous.
for EWR on CO, i think fare class doesn't come into the picture until the expiration of the waitlist. prior to WL expiry, it's status level and time on waitlist and if no clearance by then, the airport standby prioritizes i believe on status, fare class and then time of check-in. SWU treated w/ same priority as miles + copay.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
I have been on a waitlist for 99 on 1/9/12 since Mid November when there at least 25 seats showing available. Today in the AM as I watched the Fare Class dwindle down to the last 3 seats, I decided to switch to 79 via NRT. They are currently showing about 25 seats available. Was upgraded right away on the NRT-HKG and I am still waitlisted for the EWR-NRT. I figured being Plat or 1K on CO I have a good chance of clearing. The lower fare made the change fee disappear and I figured I couldnt end up worse than I was on 99. Hope I'm right!
Old Jan 6, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1K
i've got the make the same decision for mid-feb. was leaning ORD, but perhaps this thread has changed my mind.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Connecting in Chicago

Can't answer your question on the upgrade, but I would lean towards the nonstop. While we haven't had much snow thusfar, I try to avoid connecting, especially in Chicago during the winter.

A few years back there was a Tsunami in Hong Kong that delayed my return flight and I missed my connection in Chicago en route home, along with all other flights from ORD-EWR. Spent a few hours in a crap hotel in Chicago and swore to never connect again if I can avoid it.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:44 am

without really knowing how to validate this, i've thought that because PMUA has a larger flyerbase than PMCO, the ex-ORD flights are more utilized than the ex-EWR flights. my assumption is that there is a larger elite base to compete for UGs on the United flight, which is fed seeing more posts on missing UGs on that flight. given i haven't failed an UG yet ex-EWR (n=3) with no flights on ex-ORD yet i don't think that's enough to come to any kind of conclusion on my part...

do others see the same?
Old Jan 6, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.4MM; AA PLT 2.5MM; Hilton Diamond; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex MR; Chase UR, et al
Exclamation Clear right away on CO79

As of right now, on 1/13, CO79 has 1 upgrade available all the way through to HKG. 79 flies EWR-NRT-HKG (738 on NRT-HKG)

CO 79 1 Stop
EWR 01/13/12 10:45 AM
HKG 01/14/12 9:30 PM
77E

First/Business - Upgrade with Miles/SWU/CR1 R 1
First/Business - Upgrade with Miles/SWU/CR1 for Elites RN 1
Otherwise, both the CO and UA flights look pretty good, considering you're a week out. If it were me, I'd buy a Q fare (at least) on the UA flight and be pretty confident that I'll beat out the folks that bought the lowest upgradable fare (as many do) and thus my late addition to the list won't matter (whereas it will on CO). Of course, YMMV.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 12:28 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
I will be flying PHL-SIN in mid-February.

If I read this thread correctly, I stand a better chance of being upgraded with SWUs by going ex-EWR to HKG rather than going ex-ORD to HKG or NRT, is that correct?

Also, .bomb is showing that the EWR-HKG flight is operated by United - shouldn't that flight be operated by CO instead?

Many thanks in advance for any advice on being able to score that upgrade on the Transpac segment. I'll deal with HKG-SIN or NRT-SIN separately and will be fine with E+.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 5:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
operated by UA from EWR......... i like the meals better on CO and booked that flight hope its still a CO plane.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by why fly
operated by UA from EWR......... i like the meals better on CO and booked that flight hope its still a CO plane.
Can anyone confirm if it's still a CO plane or a UA plane now?
Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:26 am

seatmaps on CO.com still show as CO configured 772. i flew on UA 98/99 mid-late Dec and they were already indicating being "operated by United."
Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by eleeut
seatmaps on CO.com still show as CO configured 772. i flew on UA 98/99 mid-late Dec and they were already indicating being "operated by United."
So basically it's a 772 with BF and no E+, correct?
Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
flight 99 is still CO

I asked an agent for an explanation. After checking with a supervisor, she said both the UA and CO websites say "Operated by United" because the HK airport authority only allows one operating certificate for the merged airline. This may be old news, but apparently there are a few different countries that have similar rules. In such cases the operating carrier is listed as United.

Although the website and presumably other things like tickets will say "operated by United", it's still a CO aircraft, check-in is with CO and, most importantly for Flyertalkers, the upgrades are handled by CO and according to CO rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.