Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

upgrade to HKG - better chance via ORD or EWR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

upgrade to HKG - better chance via ORD or EWR?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by jtrader
I asked an agent for an explanation. After checking with a supervisor, she said both the UA and CO websites say "Operated by United" because the HK airport authority only allows one operating certificate for the merged airline. This may be old news, but apparently there are a few different countries that have similar rules. In such cases the operating carrier is listed as United.

Although the website and presumably other things like tickets will say "operated by United", it's still a CO aircraft, check-in is with CO and, most importantly for Flyertalkers, the upgrades are handled by CO and according to CO rules.
Got it, thanks!
Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
Originally Posted by sapguy
So basically it's a 772 with BF and no E+, correct?
No E+. 16/32 ABC + JKL are the ones to look for in Y cabin for this one. not sure about the middle section for those.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: Delta - PM / MM, UA 1K Starwood-Gold
Originally Posted by brp1264
A few years back there was a Tsunami in Hong Kong that delayed my return flight and I missed my connection in Chicago en route home, along with all other flights from ORD-EWR. Spent a few hours in a crap hotel in Chicago and swore to never connect again if I can avoid it.
Was that the same year the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor ? :-) I think you meant Typhoon.

I fly both ORD & EWR to HKG. Without giving consideration to which gateway city is easiest for an upgrade, I will say that CO's BF seat is unequivocally better than UA's C seat. Service, like on all airlines, can be hit or miss. YMMV
Old Jan 7, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
=)~

Originally Posted by Feather Man
Was that the same year the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor ? :-) I think you meant Typhoon.

I fly both ORD & EWR to HKG. Without giving consideration to which gateway city is easiest for an upgrade, I will say that CO's BF seat is unequivocally better than UA's C seat. Service, like on all airlines, can be hit or miss. YMMV
Haha, got me. I loose track of the terminology as I've been dodging them in Philippines, Hong Kong, Japan, Taiwan, Guam, and the Gulf of Mexico for the the past 3 years - many different names for the same thing.

That being said: same same, but different.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Without giving consideration to which gateway city is easiest for an upgrade, I will say that CO's BF seat is unequivocally better than UA's C seat.
I guess you and I will have to disagree

I happen to think that UA's lie flat bed in C is better than CO's BF lie flat bed, but like you said, YMMV
Old Jan 7, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: Delta - PM / MM, UA 1K Starwood-Gold
I guess you and I will have to disagree

I happen to think that UA's lie flat bed in C is better than CO's BF lie flat bed, but like you said, YMMV
Really??? I don't know, call me old fashioned, but I prefer the 2-2-2 seating, not fighting for an arm rest, not facing the rear of the plane, and having a place to charge my iPhone. Oh, and lest I not forget, being able to have a storage space above my seat for my briefcase on the upper deck of a 747.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Really??? I don't know, call me old fashioned, but I prefer the 2-2-2 seating, not fighting for an arm rest, not facing the rear of the plane, and having a place to charge my iPhone. Oh, and lest I not forget, being able to have a storage space above my seat for my briefcase on the upper deck of a 747.
That's why it's YMMV - I haven't fought for an armrest on UA C, I've been able to charge all sorts of devices at my seat, I've put bags in the window storage or above me, and facing the rear of the plane actually makes sleeping a bit easier for me. And it's tough to argue the BF AVOD interface isn't pretty poor.

They're basically identical seats, both average C seats in the industry - better than angled lie-flat, but behind the latest staggered / super wide seats (a la SQ) / US/CX herringbones.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
That's why it's YMMV - I haven't fought for an armrest on UA C, I've been able to charge all sorts of devices at my seat, I've put bags in the window storage or above me, and facing the rear of the plane actually makes sleeping a bit easier for me. And it's tough to argue the BF AVOD interface isn't pretty poor.

They're basically identical seats, both average C seats in the industry - better than angled lie-flat, but behind the latest staggered / super wide seats (a la SQ) / US/CX herringbones.
I guess you and I agree
1. Have never fought for an armrest on UA C.
2. Always able to charge iPhone, iPad (using AC power), BB, laptop, camera, etc
3. Never had problem with stowing my bag, although on BF, the space behind the headrest on the window side can be used for small items, but I have this constant fear of forgetting about them and leaving them behind.
4. I have no issue with facing the rear, and don't sleep any better or worse.

The AVOD on BF is fine to me, about the same on on UA C.

I am looking forward to trying out the SQ super wide C seat.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
upgrade update

So I decided to purchase W fares on both flights (NYC-ORD-HKG and EWR-HKG) figuring I would eat the cancellation fee on one of them, but boost my chances for an upgrade. Given the number of open seats and the relatively short waitlist on the ORD flight (when I made my res, the phone agent told me there entire upgrade waitlist was only about 12 people with well over 20 seats open), I figured my chances were excellent. I much prefer the nonstop from EWR, but I'm still very skeptical about the whole CO approach to upgrading. The only upgrade I missed last year (except some short haul last minute purchases) was on a CO flight where I suspect I was the victim of inexpensive buy-up offers to GMs at check-in.

I've been check my reservations and upgrade inventory a couple of times a day the last few days. This afternoon, by upgrade cleared on the ORD-HKG flight. I'm still waitlisted on the EWR nonstop. The number of open biz seats on 99 has remained about the same, so it seems as if no upgrades have cleared yet.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
I've been check my reservations and upgrade inventory a couple of times a day the last few days. This afternoon, by upgrade cleared on the ORD-HKG flight. I'm still waitlisted on the EWR nonstop. The number of open biz seats on 99 has remained about the same, so it seems as if no upgrades have cleared yet.[/QUOTE]

I dont know if anybody else noticed this but for some reason the Upgrade Standby list for both today's and tomorrow's flight 99 to HKG are missing from the CO flight status page. Anybody know why?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 3:13 pm

So I decided to purchase W fares on both flights (NYC-ORD-HKG and EWR-HKG) figuring I would eat the cancellation fee on one of them, but boost my chances for an upgrade. Given the number of open seats and the relatively short waitlist on the ORD flight (when I made my res, the phone agent told me there entire upgrade waitlist was only about 12 people with well over 20 seats open), I figured my chances were excellent. I much prefer the nonstop from EWR, but I'm still very skeptical about the whole CO approach to upgrading. The only upgrade I missed last year (except some short haul last minute purchases) was on a CO flight where I suspect I was the victim of inexpensive buy-up offers to GMs at check-in.

I've been check my reservations and upgrade inventory a couple of times a day the last few days. This afternoon, by upgrade cleared on the ORD-HKG flight. I'm still waitlisted on the EWR nonstop. The number of open biz seats on 99 has remained about the same, so it seems as if no upgrades have cleared yet.
Interesting approach!

I don't know that my company will let me book 2 flights and then eat the cancellation fee like you do
Old Jan 8, 2012, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eyuro
I dont know if anybody else noticed this but for some reason the Upgrade Standby list for both today's and tomorrow's flight 99 to HKG are missing from the CO flight status page. Anybody know why?[/QUOTE]

Been like that for a few weeks now - think it's because they're "operated by United Airlines", seems like those flights don't show the UG list online.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
Interesting approach!

I don't know that my company will let me book 2 flights and then eat the cancellation fee like you do
It's my company (and money), so I just look at it the same as buying a higher fare class that is upgradeable. I realize that might not work with a typical corporate controller. Even two W tickets are much less than a Z fare. I also pay for biz when I need to.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I dont know if anybody else noticed this but for some reason the Upgrade Standby list for both today's and tomorrow's flight 99 to HKG are missing from the CO flight status page. Anybody know why?
Been like that for a few weeks now - think it's because they're "operated by United Airlines", seems like those flights don't show the UG list online.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but 79 is also operated by United and there they list it.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE

from my understanding, PMCO doesn't do buy-ups on BF marketed flights apart from the BF-lite EWR/IAH >>> HNL through the revup program.. either they sell the BF seat or release all the remaining inventory as R, and cabins will sometimes go half empty.. i've been on 98 coming back stateside that was 1/2 full and 3/4 full in the past. yes it leaves money on the table but elites who are waitlisted will lose out when there is no inventory left due to straight purchase rather than anyone else (GM / Elite or otherwise) buying up at the last minute. i imagine this is going away after the integration is complete however, for better or for worse.

waitlist clearance was wacky for me last time on 99, the waitlist didn't clear automatically for me and then happened to catch that there were award upgrades available about 4 days out and called in to confirm. there were maybe 8 seats not showing as taken on CO.com following clearing me + 1 and there were still award upgrades available (didn't manually check to see how many were left, i just cared that i + my bro got cleared). this was on a Friday ex-EWR so clearance will depend on the day you are coming back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.