Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

upgrade to HKG - better chance via ORD or EWR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

upgrade to HKG - better chance via ORD or EWR?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2012, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
99 from EWR still hasn't cleared. It's only 3 days out and there are still 19 BF seats showing unoccupied. That's a reduction of only 2 seats in the last week. I know the seatmap doesn't necessarily reflect unsold seats, but I imagine it's close in this case. Still showing C9 D9 Z9.

Really frustrating that CO doesn't seem to be clearing anything in advance while UA is more consistently clearing 1 week out.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
If it's Z9, you're probably fine. I was in a similar spot when I flew it in Nov, bought tix 5 days out when there were still 20 seats available (no R space at the time of course). Cleared ~2.5 days out IIRC. Stinks but that's the new way going forward on this airline.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2006-2013
Originally Posted by Feather Man
I will say that CO's BF seat is unequivocally better than UA's C seat.
Not intending to hijack the thread, but what specifically do you feel is better about the CO seat? I find the UA seat comparable to other airline's lie flat seats, but have not been on CO yet. There are admittedly minor differences I've found, but nothing that I'd consider unequivocally better on the other airlines.

Originally Posted by sapguy
4. I have no issue with facing the rear, and don't sleep any better or worse.
Reminds me of riding the racer roller coaster at Kings Island backwards....kinda like the backwards sensation.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 11, 2012 at 6:19 am Reason: merge
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat; UA GS (via MM companion); SPG
Originally Posted by johnmont
Reminds me of riding the racer roller coaster at Kings Island backwards....kinda like the backwards sensation.
Actually, facing backwards is better for sleeping, as the plane is still tilted a few degrees up. You want your head above your feet, slightly, to sleep easier, rather than vice versa. And you only otherwise notice the difference on take-off and landing anyhow.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2006-2013
Originally Posted by flyer215
Actually, facing backwards is better for sleeping, as the plane is still tilted a few degrees up. You want your head above your feet, slightly, to sleep easier, rather than vice versa. And you only otherwise notice the difference on take-off and landing anyhow.
Yeah...I agree 100% with you and actually prefer it. Including the rollercoaster reason
Old Jan 11, 2012, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
finally cleared on 99

99 from EWR-HKG finally cleared, about 52 hours prior to departure. Actually got an email on clearing (I never seem to get updates from UA anymore).

It went from C9, D9, Z9 this morning to C3, D2, Z0 after the upgrade cleared.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.