Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 "Upsell Offers to Business/F (UFC, PCU)" Questions/Discussion [Paid Upgrades]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 "Upsell Offers to Business/F (UFC, PCU)" Questions/Discussion [Paid Upgrades]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2012, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club, National Executive
Mrs ito717 was just offered a $649 buyup from C to F on UA942 ORD-CDG. She's on an XC award ticket. I'm in NC via a SWU and was not given the offer, as expected.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Phl-sna, ow y->f $475

on top of a $160 ticket, for a total of $635.

Makes very little sense to accept when DL is offering OW HUP fare for $500 on the same route.

Regional cleared immediately. Now I just have to hope it holds.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT
ORD - AMS $999 on a T fare.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by BDLORD
NRT-ORD
Award C
$999

Online reservations UA.con

Accept it? Yes I did ^
I'm sure this has been answered before, but would PCU on an award ticket allow accrual of any RDMs or PQMs?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 12:47 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by 1kBill
on top of a $160 ticket, for a total of $635.

Makes very little sense to accept when DL is offering OW HUP fare for $500 on the same route.

Regional cleared immediately. Now I just have to hope it holds.
What would cause in to fail?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 4:11 am

Programs: UA 1MM (now flying with SQ)
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
I'm sure this has been answered before, but would PCU on an award ticket allow accrual of any RDMs or PQMs?
I did that for my wife 2 months ago on an award ticket. PCU from XY to Z. No RDM or PQM received.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9650; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.524 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by kyc1964
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
I did that for my wife 2 months ago on an award ticket. PCU from XY to Z. No RDM or PQM received.
Thanks, that's what I figured.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
What would cause in to fail?
Plane swap for one. Almost happened a week ago on the ORD-SNA route. Had confirmed F seat from booking on an A320. OLCI allowed me to check in, said F confirmed, but took my seat away. Get to first airport (PIT), agent can't assign my ORD-SNA seat, says gate control. Finally get my new window () seat at UC. At the gate, my name is up on the "cleared" display, see GA for seat assignment.

Flight was extremely light, approx 90 seats available, so I'm guessing UA dba CO tried to swap it for a 319 but couldn't pull it off for some reason.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 12:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
A friend of mine booked STL-DEN-SFO (CR7/320) today and was offered the upgrade for $375. He (1P) declined.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Offered $99 each way, per person for an upcoming SNA-SFO rt with my wife. L fare both ways. Declined.

Both flights are still at F9. Outbound is at NF4 and return is at NF5. Outbound should clear UDU tomorrow without a problem. Little more worried about the return (only cr@p seats were left in Y)
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:12 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Best chance for upgrades from NYC to SFO?

Hi All --

First post here. Apologies if this is something that I should have searched for (tried searching but without luck). Feel free to point me elsewhere if this has already been answered.

I'm about to up my flying with United quite a bit (currently exec premier), mostly going from SFO-NYC. Do you guys have any advice on how to maximize my chances of getting upgraded? E.g., are there particular times in the week that I should book (am flexible) or types of fares I should buy (just learning about the difference between, Y, W, etc.)?

Also, I don't know if there are any good threads for "beginning frequent flyers," but I feel like I could use an introduction to many of the terms, etc. used here. Now that I'm going to be flying much more, I'd love to know how to be smart about this / maximize possible benefits.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Welcome to FT!

You can't get complimentary upgrades (i.e., those for which you don't need to use certificates or miles) on the non-stop SFO-JFK route. You can only upgrade on that if you have what are called (electronic) systemwide or regional upgrade certificates, which since you're not yet a 1K you're unlikely to have. You can used miles for upgrading these flights, but it's a poor use of miles compared to other options.

To try to get complimentary upgrades, you would need to fly SFO-EWR non-stop or do a one-stop through, e.g., ORD, to JFK or LGA. But with your status your chances might not be great. My impression is that you have the best chance of upgrades on Saturdays or mid-week (such as Tuesdays or Wednesdays, but not Thursdays). But I'm not at all an expert on this.

Here's a thread with FAQs: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...mysteries.html

Hope this helps. Happy trails!
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, jazzmule

Nonstop transcon SFO-EWR are a tough complimentary upgrade even for Plats/1Ks
SFO-JFK is not eligible for complimentary upgrades.

1-stops via DEN, ORD are probably better chances.

Avoid Sunday/Monday/Thursday/Friday
Mid-day flights are usually better than morning or early evening.
Higher fares help -- YB and for 1Ks M fares will have priority over status. Lower fares it will be status, fare and time of booking to determine priority.

It takes some time to learn all this -- nobody is proficient without putting time.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:30 pm

EWR-SFO-EWR (no chance)

I would route through ORD or DEN for the best chance.

The non stops are of course a premium route. And some corporations will pay for business class for flights of more than 4-5 hours.

YMMV
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Silver, Best West Gold, United Gold
United 907 ORD-SFO Buy Up from NC to F

I just saw that the First class cabin, all six seats are empty and was hoping I would get an option to buy up to F since I have never experienced this class of service before on a 3 cabin plane. Is is polite to ask at ORD before departing to SFO if there is a cash buy up? What should I expect to pay?

Thank You. Original farecode was a G and I used a RPU to upgrade weeks ago to NC. This is for Tomorrow's flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.