Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 "Upsell Offers to Business/F (UFC, PCU)" Questions/Discussion [Paid Upgrades]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 "Upsell Offers to Business/F (UFC, PCU)" Questions/Discussion [Paid Upgrades]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Welcome to FT!

You can't get complimentary upgrades (i.e., those for which you don't need to use certificates or miles) on the non-stop SFO-JFK route. You can only upgrade on that if you have what are called (electronic) systemwide or regional upgrade certificates, which since you're not yet a 1K you're unlikely to have. You can used miles for upgrading these flights, but it's a poor use of miles compared to other options.

To try to get complimentary upgrades, you would need to fly SFO-EWR non-stop or do a one-stop through, e.g., ORD, to JFK or LGA. But with your status your chances might not be great. My impression is that you have the best chance of upgrades on Saturdays or mid-week (such as Tuesdays or Wednesdays, but not Thursdays). But I'm not at all an expert on this.

Here's a thread with FAQs: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...mysteries.html

Hope this helps. Happy trails!
Don't forgot you can use miles for upgrades as well, in addition to any cash up-sell they may offer.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I've no idea what the buy-up is, but yes I say go ahead and ask. The worst is that the agent says that they can't help you. Then since you're flying NC, go to the Red Carpet Club at SFO (or even at ORD) and ask there.
You can also ask at the gate, to one of the gate agents.
Any agent would prefer to sell the buy-up than to exchange it for a SWU. I don't know the exact rules though, which is why I suggest to just ask.

At the least, make sure to enjoy the RCC since you're flying TATL NC!
And kudos for successfully upgrading, as UA900 is never that easy to upgrade, even during Winter.
Happy travels
Michael
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by gaobest
I've no idea what the buy-up is, but yes I say go ahead and ask. The worst is that the agent says that they can't help you. Then since you're flying NC, go to the Red Carpet Club at SFO (or even at ORD) and ask there.
You can also ask at the gate, to one of the gate agents.
Any agent would prefer to sell the buy-up than to exchange it for a SWU. I don't know the exact rules though, which is why I suggest to just ask.

At the least, make sure to enjoy the RCC since you're flying TATL NC!
And kudos for successfully upgrading, as UA900 is never that easy to upgrade, even during Winter.
Happy travels
Michael
Is it just me or is something screwed up here
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Silver, Best West Gold, United Gold
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Is it just me or is something screwed up here
LOL, That is so funny. Yeah. It is only a 4 hour and change domestic flight from ORD-SFO I have never traveled outside Region 1 so I can use my upgrade instruments on flights like these.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
What is the general consensus on getting UFC offers from NC to F? I have seen a few folks mention it in the 2011 thread but I couldn't make my way through all 91 pages to see if there was a definitive answer. Does this happen?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:52 pm

Data point

IAH - PBI
W fare
CO Gold Elite
Offered $359 buy up at bag drop

lolno
Old Feb 27, 2012, 4:50 am

Programs: Delta Platinum AA Platinum UA Dirt Grey Marriott Ambassador Hyatt Globalist
Where is the Master Thread for this with all recent offers?

I searched pages and pages now...
Old Feb 27, 2012, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Fly2LAX
Where is the Master Thread for this with all recent offers?

I searched pages and pages now...
This is the thread with all recent offers from Jan 1, 2012 onward. Enjoy.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Sunday Feb 26, NRT->SFO
Offered the equivalent of about USD $650 for Z to F. Declined. New C is good enough for me. Or rather, UA new F isn't. Not for that price.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 3:17 am

Programs: UA 1K
$1409 from LAX to NRT at purchase and OLCI on a K fare with 8 C seats remaining. They've got to be joking.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by harperb
$1409 from LAX to NRT at purchase and OLCI on a K fare with 8 C seats remaining. They've got to be joking.
Sounds like good news for anyone waitlisted with a GPU. Cheap international buy-ups are great when you're on a sub-W fare and lucky enough to be on a flight where C or F is undersold. But do we want the disease of TOD shenanigans to spread to the routes where upgrades really matter?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:13 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
200 on an award ticket for lax to iAd. I'm us plat so I took it. Think it was last seat and 20 plus people on wait list. A320. Must have been a glitch but i was happy
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:16 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by morrisunc
. Must have been a glitch but i was happy
All reports say it's no glitch, money talks for the newUA and status free UG's are trumped everytime with $.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 1:12 pm
ufo

4-Apr-12 UA58 IAH-AMS $1269 from a W fare
Old Apr 10, 2012, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Zeros Of Dollar Upsell

For the record flying in paid F was the least expensive way to go. Thankfully it wasn't full Y on an ERJ or a CR2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.