Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 "Upsell Offers to Business/F (UFC, PCU)" Questions/Discussion [Paid Upgrades]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 "Upsell Offers to Business/F (UFC, PCU)" Questions/Discussion [Paid Upgrades]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2012, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by sammyindc
On domestic flights, as a 1K you can upgrade (on a 3class new cabin or a 2 class cabin) using:
- complimentary upgrade
- SWUs
- regional upgrades
- miles
- cash - they are usually offered after you book the ticket - offered online and it depends on the flight and how full it is

On international flights, you can upgrade using:
- SWUs
- some routes allow regional upgrades
- miles (with or without copay depending on the fare)
- cash - offered online after booking, during check-in, at the gate

I've been offered cash upgrades on several flights (domestic and international) ranging from $75 to $999.
On domestic flights, I think the only way to get cash upgrades is to get the offer online - cannot be requested. On international flights, cash upgrades can be requested on the phone or at check-in/gate.
Very accurate and helpful information!

I think, though, that we should get ourselves accustomed to the new vocabulary and abbreviations...

CPU - Complimentary Premier Upgrade (old UDU)
RPU - Regional Premier Upgrade (old CR-1 / regional upgrade)
GPU - Global Premier Upgrade (old SWU)

http://mileageplusmergerupdates.com/...gradesOverview

Complimentary Premier Upgrades: These are space-available complimentary upgrades, offered on select United, Continental and Copa flights. (See upgrade regions chart.) You may know them currently as Unlimited Domestic Upgrades in MileagePlus or Elite upgrades in OnePass®. They are available to all Premier members, as well as to a companion traveling on the same reservation as a Premier member.

On select flights, a Premier member traveling on a full-fare economy Y- and B-class fares may be eligible for an instant upgrade as early as time of ticketing. Additionally, Premier 1K® members may be eligible for these upgrades when purchasing M-class fares.

Regional Premier Upgrades: These upgrades are confirmable as early as time of ticketing on select United, Continental and Copa flights. (See upgrade regions chart.) You may know them currently as Regional Upgrades. A Premier member will earn two Regional Premier Upgrades when they reach 75,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 90 Premier qualifying segments (PQS), plus two more for each 25,000 PQM or 30 PQS thereafter.

Global Premier Upgrades: These upgrades can be used on all multi-cabin United, Continental and Copa flights worldwide and are confirmable as early as time of booking. You may know them currently as Systemwide Upgrades. A Premier member will earn six Global Premier Upgrades when they reach 100,000 PQM or 120 PQS, plus two more for each 50,000 PQM or 60 PQS thereafter.

Mileage Upgrade Awards: All 2012 MileagePlus members can continue to use award miles to upgrade eligible United, Continental and Copa flights. Premier members will continue to have co-pay waivers when upgrading flights within U.S. 49/Canada and between the U.S. 49/Canada and Hawaii, Mexico, Central America, Caribbean, and Northern South America (except for BusinessFirst® flights).
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Very accurate and helpful information!

I think, though, that we should get ourselves accustomed to the new vocabulary and abbreviations...

CPU - Complimentary Premier Upgrade (old UDU)
RPU - Regional Premier Upgrade (old CR-1 / regional upgrade)
GPU - Global Premier Upgrade (old SWU)

http://mileageplusmergerupdates.com/...gradesOverview

Complimentary Premier Upgrades: These are space-available complimentary upgrades, offered on select United, Continental and Copa flights. (See upgrade regions chart.) You may know them currently as Unlimited Domestic Upgrades in MileagePlus or Elite upgrades in OnePass®. They are available to all Premier members, as well as to a companion traveling on the same reservation as a Premier member.

On select flights, a Premier member traveling on a full-fare economy Y- and B-class fares may be eligible for an instant upgrade as early as time of ticketing. Additionally, Premier 1K® members may be eligible for these upgrades when purchasing M-class fares.

Regional Premier Upgrades: These upgrades are confirmable as early as time of ticketing on select United, Continental and Copa flights. (See upgrade regions chart.) You may know them currently as Regional Upgrades. A Premier member will earn two Regional Premier Upgrades when they reach 75,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 90 Premier qualifying segments (PQS), plus two more for each 25,000 PQM or 30 PQS thereafter.

Global Premier Upgrades: These upgrades can be used on all multi-cabin United, Continental and Copa flights worldwide and are confirmable as early as time of booking. You may know them currently as Systemwide Upgrades. A Premier member will earn six Global Premier Upgrades when they reach 100,000 PQM or 120 PQS, plus two more for each 50,000 PQM or 60 PQS thereafter.

Mileage Upgrade Awards: All 2012 MileagePlus members can continue to use award miles to upgrade eligible United, Continental and Copa flights. Premier members will continue to have co-pay waivers when upgrading flights within U.S. 49/Canada and between the U.S. 49/Canada and Hawaii, Mexico, Central America, Caribbean, and Northern South America (except for BusinessFirst® flights).
My bad ... still getting used to the new vocabulary and abbreviations.

One thing that can be added for Global Premier Upgrades, they can be used on Lufthansa flights:

From the United website:
"Eligible flights on Lufthansa
a) You can use a Systemwide Upgrade on Lufthansa (subject to availability):
• Upgrades require a paper certificate (you must request the certificate two weeks in advance through Mileage Plus customer service at 1-800-421-4655)
• The paper certificate must be presented at check-in

b) The following Lufthansa tickets are not eligible for a Systemwide Upgrade:
• Tickets in booking codes X, I, R, N, W, S, L, K, T, Z and E"
Old Jan 20, 2012, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Since every status level and every UG type now has "Premier" in it, I think we should just refer to them as Silver/Gold/Plat/1K (already done) and CU/RU/GU
Old Jan 22, 2012, 4:56 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
$850 Y->F for R/T SNA-PHL/PIT

Offered at booking, declined. SWU's cleared immediately.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:52 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Buy Up to F

Yesterdy I booked TPA-ORD-MLI-ORD-TPA as an L fare for 391 about a month out. As I was working through the pages to finalize the reservation, I was offered an confirmed F seat on the ORD-TPA return flight (a 752) for a total of 567.12. So the cost to upgrade was only ~175. This seems cheap. I am well aware of CO's actions trying to sell upgrades, but 175 seems pretty cheap. Is this pricing typical of UA?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
IMHO,
I would not pay $175 for ORD-TPA upgrade.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:08 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I did not as I expect it to clear as a new 1K. My comment was that it just seemed awafully cheap as my fare basis is L.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by Vulcan
I did not as I expect it to clear as a new 1K. My comment was that it just seemed awafully cheap as my fare basis is L.
At least for domestic upgrades, and at least in some cases for int'l paid upgrades, the upgrade cost does not seem to be related to the booking class.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
NRT-ORD
Award C
$999

Online reservations UA.con

Accept it? Yes I did ^
Old Feb 1, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by BDLORD
NRT-ORD
Award C
$999

Online reservations UA.con

Accept it? Yes I did ^
So award C to F? New plane? Did you feel it was worth it after the fact?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
Some recent ones from My Reservations:

SEA-IAD $375
IAD-SLC $300
IAD-SFO $375
SJC-DEN $175.92
DEN-IAD $199

A friend recently purchased S->Z for $999 on NRT-IAD at booking.

Seems to keep to $375 for a transcon and scale proportionally. It closely correllates to NC/NF availability in my experience.

Do these still book into Z/A and earn class of service bonus? On a 3 class domestic, can you buy into Z and then UDU/CR1 into F?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by smashr

On a 3 class domestic, can you buy into Z and then UDU/CR1 into F?
Z can not be upgraded using certificates, but miles + co-pay can.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K (pmua), Hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by smashr
Do these still book into Z/A and earn class of service bonus? On a 3 class domestic, can you buy into Z and then UDU/CR1 into F?
I did this on a 767 from IAD to ORD in January. Bought up to Z and then got UDU to NF.

I got the class of service bonus (for Z).
Old Feb 1, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
Originally Posted by mgaiman
I did this on a 767 from IAD to ORD in January. Bought up to Z and then got UDU to NF.

I got the class of service bonus (for Z).
Good to know.

Despite 400k+ BIS, I've never been in international F; somewhat tempting to pay the $199 to grab Z for DEN-IAD then angle for a UDU.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 6:25 pm

Programs: BA EC gold UA gold—MM Hilton Diamond Hertz Presidents Circle
LHR/ORD $1054 Z to F march travel -- offered on line--refused
ORD/LHR $999 Z to F July travel ---offered on line --refused
ORD/LHR $999 Z to F October travel --offered on line---refused
ORD/LHR April travel--booked in Z --no offer
LHR/ORD June travel --booked in W--- no offer
LHR/SFO September travel---booked in W --no offer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.