Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 "Upsell Offers to Business/F (UFC, PCU)" Questions/Discussion [Paid Upgrades]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 "Upsell Offers to Business/F (UFC, PCU)" Questions/Discussion [Paid Upgrades]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: UA Plat 2.2MM, AA nobody, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Not one I was offered (I was already upgraded) but spotted this on a sheet on the check-in agents desk at Sydney. SYD-SFO/LAX UFC for both NC and NF a tad under 1100 aussie $s.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by OtleyFlyer
Not one I was offered (I was already upgraded) but spotted this on a sheet on the check-in agents desk at Sydney. SYD-SFO/LAX UFC for both NC and NF a tad under 1100 aussie $s.
Not the least surprising as the UA contracted Menzies staffers are "reportedly" able to make additional money in their paychecks by selling these UFCs.

Despicable - to the extent that UFCs get any form of priority over SWU/Miles.

Dave
Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Thumbs down Pcu iad-lax $475

Route: IAD-LAX
Date: 1/14/12
Original Fare: W
Price: $475
PCU from Y to B (3-cabin 777 old configuration)
Declined offer

Complimentary upgrade cleared 1 hour later (100 hours prior to flight)
Old Jan 13, 2012, 3:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I booked PHX-SFO-IAD-GSO for $159. I was offered for another $150.00 an upgrade on just PHX-SFO. I declined. Surprisingly, I may miss the upgrade anyhow. It's an A-320 and most of E+ is already full. Plus as a 1P on a K-Fare I'm not that high on the list.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 4:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Changed a return EZE-IAD-BOS today for tomorrow night's flight, E fare, no upgrade offered yet and can't do it from "upgrade this flight". Maybe when I can do OLCI... no idea what the co-pay will be for an E fare. There's eight seats left in C.

nb: no upgrade offered at check-in. Oh well, pass the Klonipin.

Last edited by born sleepy; Jan 14, 2012 at 6:42 am
Old Jan 16, 2012, 9:44 am

On Saturday 1/14, flight bna-Ian-sna, k fare. First leg:rj with no first. At check in, I (premex/gold) was offered a 659 upgrade. (at 101 hrs, FC was empty on the Iah-sna leg. 5 sets filled at 72 hours. The app showed 4 seats for sale up to 12 hrs out. 1 name came off the upgrade list after 72hrs, flight went out full in first.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by joanek
On Saturday 1/14, flight bna-Ian-sna, k fare. First leg:rj with no first. At check in, I (premex/gold) was offered a 659 upgrade. (at 101 hrs, FC was empty on the Iah-sna leg. 5 sets filled at 72 hours. The app showed 4 seats for sale up to 12 hrs out. 1 name came off the upgrade list after 72hrs, flight went out full in first.
CO offers strange numbers. I'm booked GSO-IAH-PHX with GSO-IAH on an RJ and they're offering me F for $820
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
last month, there were 14 C-cabin seats left on a ORD --> NRT.
I had a last minute change on an H fare I was waitlisted #1 with no other person in line. Since my SWUs were on CO and she couldnt do it, the agent offered me to UFC. When she figured out the price, her jaws dropped too. It was 560 or 500 (i forgot). My UG cleared after calling 1K desk

W fares are about 800-1000 (RT) more than K from YYZ to NRT. So a $500 UFC makes SWU worthless.

The plane left with between 4 to 8 seats empty.

Tmrw I have a flight from SFO--> KIX (K fare), 27 seats empty. PCU is @ 999 right now, i might take a UFC C-cabin if it costs around 500 .
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:32 pm

Programs: UAL 1k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond,Delta Medallion, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold,Avis preferred
Originally Posted by greathustle
jesus... agree 100%. that offer is just brutal, basically the price of 2 checked bags, for a lie-flat premium cabin on a 4-hour flight and all the premier travel perks.

hope you clear your waitlist. but i wouldn't be surprised if you don't. lord knows i'd pay for it as a GM or a 1K.
I'm lost- could you please explain how you can buy these upgrades? I am 1k and am batting about 000 on 3 class planes with the lie flat seats...

Thanks
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:59 am

Programs: Lawl COVID
Got the upsell on the one flight that had NC space for the BKK-LAX flights I booked last night (the inbound LAX-NRT sector)...$999/person. Uh, NO.

Bought the ticket, immediately requested upgrade with SWU, and of course that's the only sector that cleared immediately.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 5:18 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by RevvedUp
Has anyone been offered UFC on NRT-SIN? I thought I had read something in the 2011 thread (or somewhere) about UFCs possibly being prohibited by Japanese law, but I can't find the reference.
In the last 2 years I have been offered upgrades NRT-HNL, and my sister KIX-BKK, so it is not prohibited.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
SLC-IAD

UFC to First on A319 in Feb: $300

Going to keep my fingers crossed for the UDU.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:38 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gbegbe
I'm lost- could you please explain how you can buy these upgrades? I am 1k and am batting about 000 on 3 class planes with the lie flat seats...

Thanks
On domestic flights, as a 1K you can upgrade (on a 3class new cabin or a 2 class cabin) using:
- complimentary upgrade
- SWUs
- regional upgrades
- miles
- cash - they are usually offered after you book the ticket - offered online and it depends on the flight and how full it is

On international flights, you can upgrade using:
- SWUs
- some routes allow regional upgrades
- miles (with or without copay depending on the fare)
- cash - offered online after booking, during check-in, at the gate

I've been offered cash upgrades on several flights (domestic and international) ranging from $75 to $999.
On domestic flights, I think the only way to get cash upgrades is to get the offer online - cannot be requested. On international flights, cash upgrades can be requested on the phone or at check-in/gate.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Booked $300ai r/t fare on PS LAX-JFK-LAX. Offered $375 to upgrade each way to C. Declined, confirmed C immediately both ways with CRUs (or whatever CR1 are now called...).
Old Jan 20, 2012, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Offered NC at: $999 ORD->LHR and $1099 LHR->SFO

declined both, as I still had two SWU's to use, which cleared as expected..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.