Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 Let's Eat - Domestic First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Let's Eat - Domestic First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2012, 8:41 pm

TransCon Ice Cream Sundaes Cart!

Hi! On 9/1 I was flying transcon SFO-IAD on #574. We were a little delayed as the Pursuer and F/C flight attendant were taken off the flight and reassigned to HNL, and they brought 2 HNL FAs to work our flight. We were all confused.

After the meal service in F/C, I look up and what do I see? The return of the Ice Cream Sundae Cart! It was fully stocked with all the toppings and flavors just like on International F/C flights. It was a really nice surprise! Hope this continues. Safe Travels!
Old Sep 3, 2012, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by northsideguy
Hi! On 9/1 I was flying transcon SFO-IAD on #574. We were a little delayed as the Pursuer and F/C flight attendant were taken off the flight and reassigned to HNL, and they brought 2 HNL FAs to work our flight. We were all confused.

After the meal service in F/C, I look up and what do I see? The return of the Ice Cream Sundae Cart! It was fully stocked with all the toppings and flavors just like on International F/C flights. It was a really nice surprise! Hope this continues. Safe Travels!
Was the flight marketed as a p.s. flight, by any chance?
Old Sep 3, 2012, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Sundaes on appropriately-timed flights SFO-IAD and v.v. have been the norm since 2/1.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Critic
Was the flight marketed as a p.s. flight, by any chance?
Hi! No, this wasn't a PS flight as it was a 2 cabin 757 with 24 regular F/C seats. it was the 12:11pm flight to IAD. I was shocked to see the Sundae Cart on the flight. When I connected to MCO, the old CO crew said they do it all the time on TransCon flights. But, this was a first for me! Safe Travels!
Old Sep 4, 2012, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by northsideguy
Hi! No, this wasn't a PS flight as it was a 2 cabin 757 with 24 regular F/C seats. it was the 12:11pm flight to IAD. I was shocked to see the Sundae Cart on the flight. When I connected to MCO, the old CO crew said they do it all the time on TransCon flights. But, this was a first for me! Safe Travels!
I was on a EWR-LAX Non PS Transcon (737-900) Sunday. It was a Lunch flight and we got what was more like a Dinner service as well as full Sundae cart. I try to eat healthy and turned it down but the food and service were fantastic
Old Sep 4, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
SAN-ORD redeye "italian" cold plate

I was expecting the dreaded cold chicken plate, but was pleasantly surprised with a caprese-style tray of fresh mozarella, tomato slices, prosciutto, and a bag of bruschetta slices.

It's definitely an improvement over everything else I've been served on a red-eye in the last two years.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Joshua
I was expecting the dreaded cold chicken plate, but was pleasantly surprised with a caprese-style tray of fresh mozarella, tomato slices, prosciutto, and a bag of bruschetta slices.

It's definitely an improvement over everything else I've been served on a red-eye in the last two years.
Interesting. That was the starter on the above non-PS Transcon.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Joshua

I actually prefer the old chicken pasta plate....or the southwest chicken w/chips & salsa that has been mentioned...this new "deli" plate is virtually inedible in my opinion...none of the usual ham/turkey/roast beef slices you'd find on a typical "deli" plate...the meat on the new deli plate is sliced about as thin as paper and WAY too salty to eat without asking for entire (large) bottle of water to wash it down...I didn't try the white balls (cheese maybe?) but my wife did and she described them as tasteless.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
(cheese maybe?) .
Mozzarella. I only eat Veg and limited chicken (FA's love me) so I did not have the cheese but generally Mozzarella is somewhat tasteless. On another note the other choice was Beef tenderloin. Again, I wont eat it but for a "lunch" I thought it put UA several notches above DL in transcon catering (Non-PS and Non-BE)
Old Sep 4, 2012, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Mozzarella. I only eat Veg and limited chicken (FA's love me) so I did not have the cheese but generally Mozzarella is somewhat tasteless. On another note the other choice was Beef tenderloin. Again, I wont eat it but for a "lunch" I thought it put UA several notches above DL in transcon catering (Non-PS and Non-BE)
Ah, mozzarella...thanks for clarifying that...love it on pizza and lasagna, but for a "deli plate", this seems to be an interesting choice for UA...although I do love snacking on cheese (pepper jack, sharp cheddar, etc.), I can't honestly say I've ever thought, "hmmm, a ball of mozzarella" would sure sound good right now"
Old Sep 4, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Ah, mozzarella...thanks for clarifying that...love it on pizza and lasagna, but for a "deli plate", this seems to be an interesting choice for UA...although I do love snacking on cheese (pepper jack, sharp cheddar, etc.), I can't honestly say I've ever thought, "hmmm, a ball of mozzarella" would sure sound good right now"
You haven't had the right one, then. Admittedly, chances of ever finding that on a UA flight are less than zero, but if you can ever get the quality product (and I'd be shocked if this wasn't easy to find in your neck of the woods) it marries very well taste, texture and health qualities not often found in cheese.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Gold
EWR to LAX Morning Flight

I'll be on the morning (8:30 ish) EWR to LAX flight this Saturday in BF on one of pmCO's 767-400's. I've seen posts for the later flights, but can anyone here let me know what to expect for the early one?

I'm assuming it will be breakfast, and possibly a snack later???

Many thanks for any replies.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
HNL-SFO red eye last night had the southwest chix with corn and chips. No cookie or anything after the snack but I did see warm scones on landing but I was too sleepy. I very quick Pacific crossing, 4:15 in the air
Old Sep 4, 2012, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MarkedMan
You haven't had the right one, then. Admittedly, chances of ever finding that on a UA flight are less than zero, but if you can ever get the quality product (and I'd be shocked if this wasn't easy to find in your neck of the woods) it marries very well taste, texture and health qualities not often found in cheese.
Good mozzarella IS good it is just more of a flavor enhancer and textural element then a real flavor. I love some good mozzarella, fresh tomatoes, and a little balsamic. That said, a few balls of mozzarella on lettuce is a little weak in the taste department.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
DEN-SFO 9.6.12 9:12a Snack

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.