Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 Let's Eat - Domestic First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Let's Eat - Domestic First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
MIA-IAH

Flight: UA1609
Aircraft: 737-900 (Boeing Sky Interior)
Meal: Dinner
Upgrade: CPU at gate (Switched from 735 to a 739, so 14 people got cleared at gate)

PBD: Anything

Entree: Shrimp Salad or Cheeseburger

Potato Leek Soup

Cheeseburger

Pre-arrival: Chocolate Chip cookies

Another typical UA flight, but those meal choices are boring! I had same thing for lunch from EWR-MIA.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
I disagree. First of all, p.s. had been thoroughly gutted since its introduction with several waves of cost cutting that had nothing to do with the merger. In Business I find the entrees to be larger and of higher quality than pre-3/3, plus I prefer to be served on a real plate, not a pseudo-casserole dish. Besides that the service is virtually unchanged.

There are still international pillows/blankets, noise-cancelling headphones, earplugs, eye masks and the same crews. What is so dramatically different? I've flown p.s. in all cabins before and after the merger and just don't see a dramatic difference, let alone evidence that it has been 'dismantled'...
Last Oct I flew PS in J (east bound) and was not impressed, the interior of the plane was well worn looking, and I thought the meal service it's self was boring.

This past June, I flew PS in F (west bound), again the plane was very worn looking, the hot nuts served in a foil container (classy) the meals again boring. The IFE is a joke, the whole product needs a revamp. When PS was introduced it was a great product, ahead of it's time, now it is old, and outdated looking, even the planes on the inside need to be redone.

BTW, the crew on my west bound flight looked tired and the service was slow.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Last Oct I flew PS in J (east bound) and was not impressed, the interior of the plane was well worn looking, and I thought the meal service it's self was boring.

This past June, I flew PS in F (west bound), again the plane was very worn looking, the hot nuts served in a foil container (classy) the meals again boring. The IFE is a joke, the whole product needs a revamp. When PS was introduced it was a great product, ahead of it's time, now it is old, and outdated looking, even the planes on the inside need to be redone.

The foil container is unusual, 99% of the time nuts are in ramekins.

Anyway, a complete interior revamp is coming which will improve the p.s. hard product, but the soft product will probably stay the same. The meal service may not be as good as DL's, but it's competitive, and I think that's all UA is interested in doing on the domestic side these days.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:12 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Speaking of UA P.S. vs AA's Flagship Service... The meal on Lucky's recent trip report in AA F was pretty pathetic...

Link to Trip Report
Old Jul 21, 2012, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC

Not discounting your experiences, but I've found that the FAs who do PS were always among the best in the PMUA system.

YMMV on the IFE - I will take the Digiplayers any day over DirecTV, though of course in-seat AVOD trumps all.

Gradual downgrading in food has been a disappointment, though it seems like it's on the upswing since the transcon "enhancement".
Old Jul 21, 2012, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Speaking of UA P.S. vs AA's Flagship Service... The meal on Lucky's recent trip report in AA F was pretty pathetic...
Link to Trip Report
On the other hand, my recent JFK-SFO AA F meal was excellent, far better than my p.s. F meal in January.
AA JFK-SFO Transcon First Dinner

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 22, 2012 at 4:29 am Reason: off-topic
Old Jul 21, 2012, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Not discounting your experiences, but I've found that the FAs who do PS were always among the best in the PMUA system.

YMMV on the IFE - I will take the Digiplayers any day over DirecTV, though of course in-seat AVOD trumps all.

Gradual downgrading in food has been a disappointment, though it seems like it's on the upswing since the transcon "enhancement".
Regarding the IFE, very outdated and it shows, I'll take my iPad, bigger screen and better selection...

The food on both AA and UA have been downgraded, on AA a sandwhich should NEVER be offered on the 3 class transcon flight...
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Has anyone tried any of the special meals? Thanks to this thread i realize i can select a special meal for LAX-EWR red-eye. I'm tired of the chicken pasta and would like to try something different.

I'm stuck between asian vegetarian and kosher (I always hear kosher can be better than regular meal).
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
ORD - SFO 7/16/12 3-class C Dinner

PDB (anything)
warm mixed nuts

tray with:
salad and packaged dressing
lox and fixings (in small ramekin)
chicken in red sauce, Spanish-style rice, and veggies
roll / butter

cookie in bag

The wine selection looked selective, although I don't drink on planes.

The meal was better than 2010-2011 UAL on this route...
Old Jul 22, 2012, 9:59 pm

Programs: Star Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
July lunch flight SFO - LIH

First

PD - anything

Choice of "steak" with broccoli or
Pasta with marinara and steamed spinach

Chocolate chip cookie on arrival
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:15 am

Asian vs. Vegan Special Meals

Will fly SFO-EWR as the first leg of a European trip in C next month. My companion is an ovo-lacto vegetarian so he wants the special meals. Can anyone comment on the differences between the Asian-Indian and Vegan menus, particularly for this domestic breakfast flight? Trying to wrap my head around what passes for Asian-Indian in the A.M.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by markedcw
Will fly SFO-EWR as the first leg of a European trip in C next month. My companion is an ovo-lacto vegetarian so he wants the special meals. Can anyone comment on the differences between the Asian-Indian and Vegan menus, particularly for this domestic breakfast flight? Trying to wrap my head around what passes for Asian-Indian in the A.M.
Neither one of them will fit his dietary needs, you should be able to order a Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian meals...
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:30 am

Neither one of them will fit his dietary needs, you should be able to order a Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian meals...
Is ovo-lacto vegetarian still an option? The special meals page only shows:

- Child
- Gluten-intolerant
- Asian (Indian) vegetarian or Hindu vegetarian [includes diary]
- Jain [Mumbai only]
- Kosher
- Muslim
- Vegan (strict) vegetarian
- Japanese [mainland+HI–Japan only]

We've routinely requested OLV on both CO and UA since the 80s. I avoid red meat only so will take my chances with standard offerings in F/C. The Y-class OVL meals on our last CO international flights in 2010 featured curry entrees; maybe we had the Asian (Indian) option without realizing.

Btw, my weirdest airline meal ever was a Y vegetarian tray on CO, IAH-LAX: hummus, bagged baby carrots (showing that gross white blush), bean dip, hot sauce (not salsa) and Fritos. Can no longer recall the year but the A300 wore the red and gold livery.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:57 pm

Hello

I am flying LAX-IAD in Business Class on a 3 class 777 at 7.30 depart time in a few days.

Any ideas what I can expect food / service wise?

Thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2012, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Just FYI, had the Beef wrap on monday and it was pretty good with the chipotle sauce that came with it
UA 410 PDX-DEN

Originally Posted by SFO777
DEN-SFO
UA 1475
11:30a-1:06p
July 18, 2012
Lunch

Mrs. SFO reports choice of chicken wrap or chicken salad. She had the chicken salad which she described as "disgusting".

SFO-DEN
UA 482 (59 on the upgrade list )
6:23p-9:55p
July 19, 2012
Dinner

Beef wrap or shrimp salad for the other 7 in the cabin. Mrs. SFO decided she'd had enough of UA "garbage" and opted for "amazing blackened escolar" at Yankee Pier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.