Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 Global Entry fee refund - Plat and 1K [new credit process as of 27 Jul 2012]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Global Entry fee refund - Plat and 1K [new credit process as of 27 Jul 2012]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2011, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by c1mth0g
Just saw this in Hemispheres but can't seem to find any more information about it?
It's a new benefit for 2012. I don't think they've provided details about how to claim the benefit yet, however. Basically it's reimbursement for the $100 application fee (although perhaps there will be some sort of voucher/coupon system if UA got a discount for the fee).
Old Dec 12, 2011, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
http://mileageplusmergerupdates.com/...amDetails_Sept

New Global Entry benefit.

Beginning in the second quarter of 2012, MileagePlus will compensate Global Services, Premier 1K and Premier Platinum members for their Global Entry application. Global Entry is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States. Later this year we'll provide details about how the compensation process will work.

The Global Entry compensation benefit will apply to new applications only and will have a maximum value of $100 USD every five years. Members with an existing Global Entry membership can take advantage of this benefit during their next renewal. The Global Entry program is currently available to U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents, citizens of Canada as well as citizens of Mexico who hold a valid U.S. visa, and citizens of the Netherlands who are enrolled in Privium.

For detailed information on the Global Entry program, please visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website at www.globalentry.gov.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
There's also been some discussion previously in this thread.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 5:16 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I hear that CBP and United are working out ways on how United will pay/reimburse CBP for this program. Seems like there is progress and we should have some good information by the beginning of the year.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by channa
http://mileageplusmergerupdates.com/...amDetails_Sept

"The Global Entry compensation benefit will apply to new applications only and will have a maximum value of $100 USD every five years."
Does this sound contradictory to anyone else? I've had GE for a couple of years now (and *love* it since I travel internationally into IAD pretty much monthly), so I'm wondering if they'll cover my renewal when the time comes (of course this assumes that it'll still be a benefit of the program and I'll still qualify). Just confused about the statement about only applying to new applications, but then sounding like they'll cover renewal fees.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by eerickso
Does this sound contradictory to anyone else? I've had GE for a couple of years now (and *love* it since I travel internationally into IAD pretty much monthly), so I'm wondering if they'll cover my renewal when the time comes (of course this assumes that it'll still be a benefit of the program and I'll still qualify). Just confused about the statement about only applying to new applications, but then sounding like they'll cover renewal fees.
I think what they're trying to say is that because you already paid the fee 2 years ago, they're not just going to give you $100 now to cover that. When you renew in 3 years, they'll pay for it then, or if you didn't have GE already and were applying new, they'll pay for it.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
I think what they're trying to say is that because you already paid the fee 2 years ago, they're not just going to give you $100 now to cover that. When you renew in 3 years, they'll pay for it then, or if you didn't have GE already and were applying new, they'll pay for it.
Yeah, that's what I was hoping they meant. Thanks.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 8:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by smashr
100% agreed on this. The first time I used GE, I saved about 2-3 hours arriving a Friday afternoon into IAD. Despite the massive lines in both passport control and customs, I spent approximately 4 minutes inside the arrivals building. I think that paid for the fee right there!
GE is great when you don't check a bag. when you do, breezing through immigration just allows you to stand around waiting for your bag.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by halls120
GE is great when you don't check a bag. when you do, breezing through immigration just allows you to stand around waiting for your bag.
At least at SFO, they've also got a GE customs exit lane if there's a line of people waiting to get through customs. And this morning, even though I had to wait around for my bags, I still made it out of customs well before the end of the line people made it through immigration.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 9:42 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
I'm also wondering if UA will be linking the TSA Pre Check with the GE program? Only AA and DL is offering this benefit right now but several articles are saying UA will be offering it to their elites nex year:

http://www.globalentry.gov/tsa.html
Old Dec 12, 2011, 9:50 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by AZjohns
I'm also wondering if UA will be linking the TSA Pre Check with the GE program? Only AA and DL is offering this benefit right now but several articles are saying UA will be offering it to their elites nex year:

https://www.continental.com/web/en-U...nTraveler.aspx
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AZjohns

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...n-program.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...s-members.html
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:13 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Thanks guys, had no idea CO was already looking for volunteers
Old Dec 13, 2011, 1:47 am

Programs: UA 1k, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Five Star
Any Value If Mainly Domestic Travel?

Almost all my travel is domestic (which is to say a very rare trip to Canada). Is there still value to get the GE (considering it is ultimately free)? Is it considered a government issued ID that can be used for identification? Are there plans, as I seemed to have read, where it will get linked to programs that would benefit even domestic traveler (I'm always 80+ segments/120K+ per year)? Thanks for any opinions....
Old Dec 13, 2011, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by eerickso
Yeah, that's what I was hoping they meant. Thanks.
Since GE hasn't been around 5 years (right?) no one has had to "renew" yet, so it's not even clear if you renew or reapply anyway. But they seem to cover the fee either way.

(And maybe the "renewal" will not require payment of a new fee--perhaps the validity will simply be extended. Are they going to do a new security clearance and interview?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.