Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I need XXX UA Miles/PQMs for Elite Status" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "I need XXX UA Miles/PQMs for Elite Status" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Welcome to FT, YYCBear!
Originally Posted by YYCBear
I have the old United Mileage Plus Visa that earns up to 5000 PQMs/year at a 1:1 ratio for purchases made on United.com. To date, I've earned 2200 PQMs in 2012 using the Visa card. Is there any reason I couldn't purchase $2800 worth of gift certificates on United.com, using my aforementioned card, and earn the remaining ~2800 PQMs for 2012?
Not all purchases at united.com qualify. Read the T&C carefully. It's usually flights, or flight-related expenses (e.g., buying upgrades, which is really just buying a higher fare class, etc.). Just buying things at the United Mall won't count.

Now, something that might work... you could buy a $2800 refundable ticket for sometime in the distant future, and then later on, cancel the ticket. In this case, I think the refund comes to you as a "flight credit" as opposed to a credit card refund, and thus will qualify as united.com spend for your card. I'm not completely sure this'll work, though...
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Thanks for the tip and the welcome, AquaDyne. My billing period ends in 5 days, so I went ahead and bought the $2800 gift certificate. I should know by early next week whether it worked or not. If not, I'll look for a mileage run. Crossing my fingers.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 2:31 pm

Help with getting wife to gold...

Hi. Appreciate any help here.

I am Platinum United. Wife is currently silver with 48,300 miles to date this year.

Obviously would like to get her to gold.

We are flying NYC-SFO in December (but back in January) and we were going to use miles for the flights since we found First at saver rates, and even coach is priced high for these dates.

Obviously that would preclude her getting the additional milage needed to hit gold.

Are there other options or ways to buy up? Would United give me a courtesy or anything for her?

Thanks!
Old Nov 27, 2012, 2:38 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
There are plenty of "I need X miles to make Y status" threads going on here. Basically you can buy some PQM (not sure how that works) or you can fly. I suggest flying since it is a frequent flyer program. If you live in NYC, I would think you can get an EWR - IAH even better, JFK or LGA to IAH flight via ORD. This would get you the needed miles.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum), HHonors Gold
Usually the problem is with getting gold to wife
Old Nov 27, 2012, 2:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
common discussion talk this time of year
see for suggestion
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...us-thread.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...maximizer.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...tor-rates.html

as far as a courtesy bump, it is hard to predict what the new "UA" will be doing but given the availability of buy-ups one would think the hardline is likely to be followed
Old Nov 27, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by bomb
Are there other options or ways to buy up? Would United give me a courtesy or anything for her?
No guarantees of anything. You can see if the reward reservation lets you buy PQM. My estimate of the lowest going rates these days would be about 4000 miles for about $800. (The price will be lower from your wife's account from your own.)

Does your wife normally fly with you on the same reservation when she flies? In that case she probably doesn't need Gold.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:14 am

9K Short for Platinum Status

This is my first time posting and looking for any suggestions. As of next week, I will be 9K short of hitting 75K for Platinum. I may need to fly to NYC by the end of the year but that would still put me 4-5K short. Does anyone know if United plans to put out any promotions to help get those that are short, get to the next level? I heard last year they put forward a promotion that allowed card members the ability to transfer miles from their account toward up to 10,000 elite qualifying miles. Any thoughts on how to get there beside actually flying over the next month would be greatly appreciated, thanks! I assume pushing to get to the next level of status is worth the effort.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:43 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Welcome to FT Pieter Ruig!

Maybe you will find some helpful tips in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ualifying.html
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Pieter Ruig
.... Does anyone know if United plans to put out any promotions to help get those that are short, get to the next level? ...
check into http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...maximizer.html

Originally Posted by Pieter Ruig
.... I heard last year they put forward a promotion that allowed card members the ability to transfer miles from their account toward up to 10,000 elite qualifying miles. ...
For the past 5 / 6 years, Chase MP credit cards (and since 1/1/12 the CO branded cards also) that earn choicePoint RDMs which can be used to get up to 5K PQMs
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-primer.html
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:58 pm

Platnum to 1k Suggestions 10k Short

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and FF programs in general so bear with me. By middle of December I should be within spitting distance of 1K. I'd like to get there if possible for a reasonable amount of $$. Any Suggestions?

My Current status
MileagePlus Status Level: Premier Gold
Year to Date Premier Miles: 70,922
Year to Date Premier Segments: 26

Within the last 48 hours I have flown a total of 10,251 miles. So when the miles post to my account I should hold the following status.

MileagePlus Status Level: Premier Platnum
Year to Date Premier Miles: 81,173

I will make a similar trip to return from CGK to TUL near the middle of December. At the conclusion of that trip I should accumulate a similar amount of miles. So at the middle of December my account should look like this. Those flights are already ticketed.

MileagePlus Status Level: Permier Platnum
Year to Date Premier Miles: 91,424

Thanks
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:03 pm

Welcome to FT!, waylandosu
common discussion item this time of year, many helpful suggestions in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...us-thread.html

It basically comes down to a mileage run or purchasing PQMs.

time and some money versus little time but more money.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
Flights to SYD are pretty popular for this sort of thing. As are HNL, KOA, ITO etc...

Originally Posted by waylandosu
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and FF programs in general so bear with me. By middle of December I should be within spitting distance of 1K. I'd like to get there if possible for a reasonable amount of $$. Any Suggestions?

My Current status
MileagePlus Status Level: Premier Gold
Year to Date Premier Miles: 70,922
Year to Date Premier Segments: 26

Within the last 48 hours I have flown a total of 10,251 miles. So when the miles post to my account I should hold the following status.

MileagePlus Status Level: Premier Platnum
Year to Date Premier Miles: 81,173

I will make a similar trip to return from CGK to TUL near the middle of December. At the conclusion of that trip I should accumulate a similar amount of miles. So at the middle of December my account should look like this. Those flights are already ticketed.

MileagePlus Status Level: Permier Platnum
Year to Date Premier Miles: 91,424

Thanks
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, AA Exec Plat., Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Welcome to FT ^

It would be helpful to know your home airport (assuming it's TUL or CGK based on your post)

There are several ways in which you can fly the 10k PQM (Premier Qualifying Miles) before the end of December. Transcontinental flights would likely be the most economical at this point. If you do live in TUL, I would suggest routing to LAX or SFO and doing 2 transcons to NYC, WAS or BOS.

Good luck, 1K is well worth the mileage runs!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:11 pm

My home airport is TUL.
Are PQM's under "Buy Miles"? Or "Award Accelerator" on the United Website?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.