Wiki Posts
Search

any word on when AKL flights will start

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2011, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united 1p, usair silver, nz gold, hilton gold, starwood gold
any word on when AKL flights will start

We flew on the last CO flight from AKL on CO and were hoping to fly on the first one into AKL from IAH.

Any word when that might be?
Old Oct 5, 2011, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Smisek said they don't expect to have the planes until the second half of next year so I wouldn't expect it any earlier than that.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 12:20 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Keep checking boeing.com or business section of any paper (or online business sites).

CO is the launch US customer for DreamLiner, so I'm sure it will make the news @:-)

Though I'm sure they will have the news on .bomb as well .... hm, will we be able to still call it .bomb next year if they adapt (as rumored) CO's web site

EmailKid
Old Oct 5, 2011, 4:19 pm
smn

Based on flightblogger's posts, it looks like UA/CO won't receive delivery until late Q2 - 2012
Old Oct 5, 2011, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
After the initial delivery I'd expect the 787 will be flwn domestically for a bit. Also, they are going to need to have a couple of aircraft before service to AKL starts.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Also, they are going to need to have a couple of aircraft before service to AKL starts.
Only if they want to start with a daily service

But why would they want to start flying these birds domestically? Can't figure out why ANA did that, but they had the first two birds delivered in a domestic configuration

EmailKid
Old Oct 5, 2011, 7:20 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid

But why would they want to start flying these birds domestically? Can't figure out why ANA did that, but they had the first two birds delivered in a domestic configuration

EmailKid
The first 787's ANA is taking are extremely overweight. Flying them on long routes would have reduced their margins.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by jessupfrench
The first 787's ANA is taking are extremely overweight. Flying them on long routes would have reduced their margins.
Why are they extremely overweight?
Old Oct 5, 2011, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Outsourced production and lack of Boeing oversight among other things. IIRC they won't be able to sell any of the first four 787s (the ones used for testing and certification) because they are even worse.

EmailKid
Old Oct 5, 2011, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by EmailKid

Airlines don't start longhaul service with a brand new aircraft of a brand new type immediately after receipt f their first aircraft. They break it in over time and let numerous crews have the experience of working on and with it.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Airlines don't start longhaul service with a brand new aircraft of a brand new type immediately after receipt f their first aircraft. They break it in over time and let numerous crews have the experience of working on and with it.
That highly depends on the airline. If I'm not mistaken, LY immediately began using their 777s on the TLV-NYC route
Old Oct 5, 2011, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, Hertz 5*, Avis First, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Gold
I realize UA was the launch customer for the 777 and had an opportunity to participate in the ETOPs proving before the plane was certified giving UA a lot of experience with the aircraft. However, wasn't the inaugural UA 777 flight LHR-IAD? I realize my memory of 1995 is a little limited but according to the PBS Documentary on the plane (21st Century Jet - Making the 777) part 5 shows the inaugural flight as being international. I remember a lot of domestic utilization runs as the number of 777 in the fleet increased. However, with better technology and being the lead US carrier on the type I suspect Boeing will allow UA to have a little up close time with the 787 before it goes in service. So I wonder what the initial route will be. Looking forward to official word.

p.s. the documentary is available on Google videos, a great five hours! I remember watching it in when it originally aired.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 8:41 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

My guess would be that CO won't start the AKL route until at least after their fourth 787 is delivered. Then when all six 2012 CO 787s are delivered then they will replace the 777 on the IAH-LOS route.

I believe IAH-AKL will require at least 2.5 birds [16 hours out and 13-14 hours return] to do the route, but CO/UA is determined to get the route started as soon as realistically possible.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 9:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jessupfrench
Plus the JAA won't certify them for ETOPS until they actually fly commercially, unlike the FAA and EASA.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Just in case your curious, this article talks a fair bit to ANA's first few aircraft and why they're being kept close to home around the weight issue.

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/fl...nas-early.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.