FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - any word on when AKL flights will start
View Single Post
Old Oct 5, 2011, 8:39 pm
777Brian

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, Hertz 5*, Avis First, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Airlines don't start longhaul service with a brand new aircraft of a brand new type immediately after receipt f their first aircraft. They break it in over time and let numerous crews have the experience of working on and with it.
I realize UA was the launch customer for the 777 and had an opportunity to participate in the ETOPs proving before the plane was certified giving UA a lot of experience with the aircraft. However, wasn't the inaugural UA 777 flight LHR-IAD? I realize my memory of 1995 is a little limited but according to the PBS Documentary on the plane (21st Century Jet - Making the 777) part 5 shows the inaugural flight as being international. I remember a lot of domestic utilization runs as the number of 777 in the fleet increased. However, with better technology and being the lead US carrier on the type I suspect Boeing will allow UA to have a little up close time with the 787 before it goes in service. So I wonder what the initial route will be. Looking forward to official word.

p.s. the documentary is available on Google videos, a great five hours! I remember watching it in when it originally aired.