FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   any word on when AKL flights will start (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1266186-any-word-when-akl-flights-will-start.html)

sheepherder Oct 5, 2011 12:01 pm

any word on when AKL flights will start

We flew on the last CO flight from AKL on CO and were hoping to fly on the first one into AKL from IAH.

Any word when that might be?

sbm12 Oct 5, 2011 12:09 pm

Smisek said they don't expect to have the planes until the second half of next year so I wouldn't expect it any earlier than that.

EmailKid Oct 5, 2011 12:20 pm

Keep checking boeing.com or business section of any paper (or online business sites).

CO is the launch US customer for DreamLiner, so I'm sure it will make the news @:-)

Though I'm sure they will have the news on .bomb as well .... hm, will we be able to still call it .bomb next year if they adapt (as rumored) CO's web site :confused:

EmailKid

smn Oct 5, 2011 4:19 pm

Based on flightblogger's posts, it looks like UA/CO won't receive delivery until late Q2 - 2012

Xyzzy Oct 5, 2011 4:53 pm

After the initial delivery I'd expect the 787 will be fl:cool:wn domestically for a bit. Also, they are going to need to have a couple of aircraft before service to AKL starts.

EmailKid Oct 5, 2011 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 17226567)
Also, they are going to need to have a couple of aircraft before service to AKL starts.

Only if they want to start with a daily service ;)

But why would they want to start flying these birds domestically? Can't figure out why ANA did that, but they had the first two birds delivered in a domestic configuration :confused:

EmailKid

jessupfrench Oct 5, 2011 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post 17227184)

But why would they want to start flying these birds domestically? Can't figure out why ANA did that, but they had the first two birds delivered in a domestic configuration :confused:

EmailKid

The first 787's ANA is taking are extremely overweight. Flying them on long routes would have reduced their margins.

joshwex90 Oct 5, 2011 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by jessupfrench (Post 17227238)
The first 787's ANA is taking are extremely overweight. Flying them on long routes would have reduced their margins.

Why are they extremely overweight?

EmailKid Oct 5, 2011 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 17227327)

Outsourced production and lack of Boeing oversight among other things. IIRC they won't be able to sell any of the first four 787s (the ones used for testing and certification) because they are even worse.

EmailKid

Xyzzy Oct 5, 2011 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post 17227184)

Airlines don't start longhaul service with a brand new aircraft of a brand new type immediately after receipt ;)f their first aircraft. They break it in over time and let numerous crews have the experience of working on and with it.

joshwex90 Oct 5, 2011 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 17227415)
Airlines don't start longhaul service with a brand new aircraft of a brand new type immediately after receipt ;)f their first aircraft. They break it in over time and let numerous crews have the experience of working on and with it.

That highly depends on the airline. ;) If I'm not mistaken, LY immediately began using their 777s on the TLV-NYC route

777Brian Oct 5, 2011 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 17227415)

I realize UA was the launch customer for the 777 and had an opportunity to participate in the ETOPs proving before the plane was certified giving UA a lot of experience with the aircraft. However, wasn't the inaugural UA 777 flight LHR-IAD? I realize my memory of 1995 is a little limited but according to the PBS Documentary on the plane (21st Century Jet - Making the 777) part 5 shows the inaugural flight as being international. I remember a lot of domestic utilization runs as the number of 777 in the fleet increased. However, with better technology and being the lead US carrier on the type I suspect Boeing will allow UA to have a little up close time with the 787 before it goes in service. So I wonder what the initial route will be. Looking forward to official word.

p.s. the documentary is available on Google videos, a great five hours! I remember watching it in when it originally aired.

golfingboy Oct 5, 2011 8:41 pm

My guess would be that CO won't start the AKL route until at least after their fourth 787 is delivered. Then when all six 2012 CO 787s are delivered then they will replace the 777 on the IAH-LOS route.

I believe IAH-AKL will require at least 2.5 birds [16 hours out and 13-14 hours return] to do the route, but CO/UA is determined to get the route started as soon as realistically possible.

sbm12 Oct 5, 2011 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by jessupfrench (Post 17227238)

Plus the JAA won't certify them for ETOPS until they actually fly commercially, unlike the FAA and EASA.

mymiles2go Oct 5, 2011 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 17227327)

Just in case your curious, this article talks a fair bit to ANA's first few aircraft and why they're being kept close to home around the weight issue.

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/fl...nas-early.html