Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
deleted
Print Wikipost

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
United long term fliers please keep up the pressure and emails.

A UA Million Miler who has been 1K for 10+ straight years like me and many others will be 3 tiers down the totem pole in this new Math.

Any CO flyer who did 50,000 miles a year for FIVE years in the 90s, will be 1K for life!

How does that make ANY business sense?

Those folks were promised "Gold for life". Nothing more. Not "1K top tier for life". Which they ALL will be now. INSANE!

This is the letter below that these folks got.

A number of whom have not bought a ticket for a decade I'd bet.

I am annoyed I am STILL spending $25,000 a year to be given 3rd prize, and these folks get 1st prize.

How are they helping the revenue base today?

As I recalled, five years in a row as Gold CO was the bar, (50,000 miles a year when I was doing it) and it seems clear that latter 1990's this was still being honoured.

Any red highlighting is mine.

Loyalty to CO even 20 years back is still being handsomely rewarded. CURRENT loyalty and big spending to UA is being snubbed.

That is NO way to run a business in a super competitive field.

Either demote these guys to our MM level in the new Math, or crank us up to their level.

But leave things as they are, and you have BIG issues ahead.

Originally Posted by cova

1996/97

Dear Mr. Cova:

Welcome to the privileges of Infinite Elite membership -- the most exclusive level of OnePass Elite, reserved for our most valuable customers. The year 1996 was very successful for Continental. We know our success would not be possible without the continued business of customers like you, and we appreciate your loyalty.

Because you have earned Gold Elite status for five years in a row, you are now entitled to enjoy the valuable privileges of Gold Elite status for life, without ever having to qualify again. Your Infinite Elite membership card and credentials are enclosed in the membership portfolio.

Throughout 1997, you can enjoy many valuable Infinite Elite benefits, such as:

o Complimentary First Class Upgrades. As an Infinite Elite, you receive unlimited opportunities to upgrade to First Class. You can confirm your upgrade anytime before departure when traveling with Coach fares booked in Y or H class. When traveling with other Coach fares, you may use the enclosed certificates to confirm an upgrade at 72 hours prior to departure, or present your Infinite Elite card at the departure gate and claim any First Class seating which may be available. See your Elite Member's Guide for the travel areas eligible for Elite upgrades.

o Gold Elite Mileage Bonuses. Infinite Elite members receive a 125% mileage bonus on every paid flight. You can also earn up to 22,500 bonus miles upon reaching certain flight levels in 1997.

o Exclusive Rewards. Infinite Elite members may redeem OnePass rewards with no capacity control restrictions at reduced mileage levels.

o Preferred Travel Service. We want your travel with us to be as efficient as possible. You will receive priority service when calling your toll-free Infinite Elite Priority Line; and at the airport, you will receive priority check-in, boarding and baggage handling as well as special coach seating.

These are just a few of the benefits which earned OnePass Elite "Best Elite-Level Program" for 1996 and for seven of the past eight years, as voted by readers of InsiderFlyer magazine. See the membership portfolio and enclosed Elite Member's Guide for everything you need to take full advantage of your Infinite Elite status.

Thank you once again for your contribution to Continental's success. And congratulations on achieving Infinite Elite membership. You are one of our best customers and we look forward to extending the highest privileges of OnePass Elite to you on every Continental flight.

Sincerely,

Richard H. Metzner
Vice President, Marketing Programs

P.S. A leather document holder, exclusively for Infinite Elite members, a leather luggage tag, Cocktail/Headset certificates and six confirmed upgrade certificates are enclosed, with our compliments.

Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by SF1K
It really is very sad how it seems only the UA MM got the total shaft on this.
I'm a UA 1MM and I don't feel at all shafted. Why this childish obsession with what other people get? 1MM's get status for life! Star Gold! That's a heck of a gift.

Nothing in life is promised to us. So it's best to be grateful for what you do get handed to you. Nowhere in the contract of carriage are you entitled to lifetime status. You are getting way more than you paid for, so I say enjoy it.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy

1MM's get status for life! Star Gold! That's a heck of a gift.
You have been drinking the Kool-Aid.

You and I have ZERO guarantee that where we end up in the totem pole (3 tiers down) WILL be "Star Gold" even in 2013 - much less for "life."

The CO flyers from the 90s are all 1K for life - they know that, and ARE Star Gold for life of course. As CO are calling all the shots.

How do YOU know which UAcon tiers will be Star Gold?

You think Star partners globally will be pleased that THREE published UACon tiers can over-run their lounges globally??

Get a grip on reality. With these slippery Weasels running the show, Only 1K and the 75K pa tiers will be Star Gold - and pretty darn fast too I'd suggest.

Not me, not you. We do not count anymore.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by ozstamps

A UA Million Miler who has been 1K for 10+ straight years like me and many others will be 3 tiers down the totem pole in this new Math.

Any CO flyer who did 50,000 miles a year for FIVE years in the 90s, will be 1K for life!

Those folks were promised "Gold for life". Nothing more. Not "1K top tier for life". Which they ALL will be now. INSANE!

I am annoyed I am STILL spending $25,000 a year to be given 3rd prize, and these folks get 1st prize.

As I recalled, five years in a row as Gold CO was the bar, (50,000 miles a year when I was doing it) and it seems clear that latter 1990's this was still being honoured.

Loyalty to CO even 20 years back is still being handsomely rewarded. CURRENT loyalty and big spending to UA is being snubbed.

Either demote these guys to our MM level in the new Math, or crank us up to their level.

I can't agree with you more. This is totally crazy. 5 years of 50K and they are 1K for life and their spouse/SO????? We do 1 Million BIS on UA, through the BKs, through Summer from hell, etc and we get Premier Gold. Total BULL!!!
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, no. Quite the opposite. If I were that type, reading this thread, I would be on your side.

But you are absolutely correct that nothing is guaranteed us. And when I say us, I mean the CO people too. All FFP's have an out clause (or some such legal trick) so nothing is ever for sure. The only thing we can count on is competition from outside to keep our carrier(s) of choice honest.

And Ozstamps, with all your miles I would expect that you should enjoy the add-on of all your partner miles and EQM's and perhaps make it up to 3MM for 1K for life. I expect I might get the same, or at least Platinum level for life.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:06 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
I'm a UA 1MM and I don't feel at all shafted. Why this childish obsession with what other people get? 1MM's get status for life! Star Gold! That's a heck of a gift.

Nothing in life is promised to us. So it's best to be grateful for what you do get handed to you. Nowhere in the contract of carriage are you entitled to lifetime status. You are getting way more than you paid for, so I say enjoy it.
Childish obsession? Really? Didn't UA's site for years promise me benefits if I reached 1 Million Miles on their metal? Now those benefits have totally changed and i'm supposed to be grateful?

Why don't you send me lots of money every year for the next 20 years and in the end I'll give you something that I promise you today, but wait I can change that promise at the end of that 20 years, but I don't have to give you back any of the money you gave me for 20 years.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:22 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
1MM's get status for life! Star Gold! That's a heck of a gift.
I personally don't see the 'big whoop' about Star Gold. I travel internationally 4-5 times a year, and I'm yet to ever see a *G benefit that I wasn't already getting from either flying in C or F or taking advantage of directly from UA.

What is Star Gold? Lounge access (where available) and baggage. Lounges tend to be overrated--I flew out of Shanghai the other day--left the lounge after 20 minutes and headed to Burger King for a Whopper, then killed my remaining hour near the boarding gate. There are some great lounges out there, but if I didn't have access to them, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Baggage--if the once a year I don't fly a *A carrier in a premium cabin, I can shell out bag fees if they're not already complimentary.

Matter of fact, since there is no *A carrier between Hong Kong and Shanghai (arguably, 2 of the 3 most important business centers in Asia). I buy the cheapest business class ticket I can find (usually just a hundred bucks or two more than Y), and I get lounge access, free bags. My most recent trip it was Hong Kong Airlines and China Eastern.

I flew US about 2 years ago. I got an aisle seat in the back 1/3 of the plane. I was offered a buy-up to F for cash, and F still went out with empties. I carried on that day, so the bag issue was moot. Not sure how *G benefited me there in any fashion.

If I take a long-term outlook, for a day when I don't fly at least 50K miles a year anymore (and actually have to 'rely' on my MM status), I probably won't be taking many trips, and if it meant I didn't get to visit the LH Senator lounge or the SQ Silver Kris lounge in the once every 2-3 years I flew to some exotic destination and maybe had to shell out money for a bag, it wouldn't be the end of the world. I think those 2 CR-1s I'm giving up in the future would mean more to me than the off-chance I'd be flying to FRA or BKK in Y (which probably wouldn't happen anyway).

I'm not saying that I'm typical, and I'm sure there are those that receive some benefits from *G, but to say it's this great thing, end all superb benefit, I just don't see it.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:52 am

Programs: UA LT GS/5MM, DL 3MMGold, HHDia, HyattGlob, IHG Spire Amb, Marr Plat/LTG, SPG LTP

Sorry I can't make the selective quote function work correctly, so the whole post is quoted.

OZSTAMPS, yes, it's obvious you're mad, but don't take it out on us (IEs) for UA/CO's fulfillment of an old "contract." Check your facts. Yes, the offer was for permanent Gold status - but in the early advertizing, it was described as "our highest tier of Elite level" for life. Recent subsequent correspondence between the surviving IE crowd and Gordon Bethune indicate that the intention indeed was for permanent highest tier recognition. SO, when Platinum was introduced (and Bronze deleted) it was really just a reshuffling of the nomenclature and the IEs were bumped up.

The creation of Presidential Platinum was in fact a slap in the face of the IEers. Our status was devalued at that time.

Yes, this made business sense - at the time (and the compact is still in force!) Recall also that this offer was made during CO's darkest days. Those of us who accepted the offer were taking a huge chance that things might not work out and we would end up with nothing! The company was in shambles after the Lorenzo years, service and reliability were notoriously poor, and CO was in very real danger of going belly-up. The IE program was a marketing effort to retain very frequent flyers - and it worked. Some of us stayed and the airline survived and even flourished. The requirements were for 5 consecutive years of highest level elite activity - but the specifics changed by the year - not always 50K.

Even though the program lasted for 7 years, the total number of actual qualifiers was quite low - estimated at 5000-10,000 max, and those numbers have dwindled. Our group of active fliers is now below 5000. So, for those who are rarely or are no longer flying, the new bennies have absolutely NO effect on YOUR status. And for those few of us who are flying, the effect on YOUR status is still vanishingly small. The few of us who are still active are only getting what were we promised in the original contract, and some of us are still VERY acitive. I'll hit over 150K on UA and over 100K on CO THIS YEAR, and have been 1K twice as long as you have. Perhaps the treatment of UA MMs is not quite right and they should be upgraded, but we IEs earned our status many years ago and deserve the benefits we have been given. No need to direct your hatred toward us.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by leisure warrior
Sorry I can't make the selective quote function work correctly, so the whole post is quoted.

OZSTAMPS, yes, it's obvious you're mad, but don't take it out on us (IEs) for UA/CO's fulfillment of an old "contract." Check your facts. Yes, the offer was for permanent Gold status - but in the early advertizing, it was described as "our highest tier of Elite level" for life. Recent subsequent correspondence between the surviving IE crowd and Gordon Bethune indicate that the intention indeed was for permanent highest tier recognition. SO, when Platinum was introduced (and Bronze deleted) it was really just a reshuffling of the nomenclature and the IEs were bumped up.

The creation of Presidential Platinum was in fact a slap in the face of the IEers. Our status was devalued at that time.

Yes, this made business sense - at the time (and the compact is still in force!) Recall also that this offer was made during CO's darkest days. Those of us who accepted the offer were taking a huge chance that things might not work out and we would end up with nothing! The company was in shambles after the Lorenzo years, service and reliability were notoriously poor, and CO was in very real danger of going belly-up. The IE program was a marketing effort to retain very frequent flyers - and it worked. Some of us stayed and the airline survived and even flourished. The requirements were for 5 consecutive years of highest level elite activity - but the specifics changed by the year - not always 50K.

Even though the program lasted for 7 years, the total number of actual qualifiers was quite low - estimated at 5000-10,000 max, and those numbers have dwindled. Our group of active fliers is now below 5000. So, for those who are rarely or are no longer flying, the new bennies have absolutely NO effect on YOUR status. And for those few of us who are flying, the effect on YOUR status is still vanishingly small. The few of us who are still active are only getting what were we promised in the original contract, and some of us are still VERY acitive. I'll hit over 150K on UA and over 100K on CO THIS YEAR, and have been 1K twice as long as you have. Perhaps the treatment of UA MMs is not quite right and they should be upgraded, but we IEs earned our status many years ago and deserve the benefits we have been given. No need to direct your hatred toward us.
I don't begrudge you your benefits, and agree that your group should not be attacked for your good fortune. Instead it just highlights the fact that management was thoughtful and sensitive enough to do the right thing with certain groups, but not with others. I like to think that they just made a mistake, but maybe it does have something to do with the fact that PMUA MMs are likely the largest group and therefore might seem to be the costliest to reward.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leisure warrior

Recall also that this offer was made during CO's darkest days. Those of us who accepted the offer were taking a huge chance that things might not work out and we would end up with nothing!

Sounds just like the TWO bankrupcies I sat thru. THOSE were dark days. When I was promised things too. By folks who now work at J.C. Penny.

I am not sure where you see any "hatred" toward other FT'ers? An absurd and quite insulting term to keep using.

Many of us see weasels among the new Management however.

And we can all vote with our check-books. I just booked $8000 of Malaysian Airlines flights as these yo-yos do not deserve one cent the way I and doubtless others feel right now.

As to the promise of "Top Tier Forever" AFAIK none of you can provide a shred of evidence this was ever a written promise?

Gold was promised and you got 1K for life. Not a bad deal.

I did 4 years of it at 50K a year on CO to be Gold, and was into year 5, also set at 50K.

This is what the rules actually said back then -

Quote from 1993 Elite Members Guide:

"Infinite Elite Status

If You've earned Gold Elite Status membership for five consecutive years by flying the required amount of Elite miles,* you'll acheive Infinite Elite - the ultimate Elite membership - and enjoy the rewards and privileges of Gold Elite status for life, with no annual requalification ever required again!
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I don't begrudge you your benefits, and agree that your group should not be attacked for your good fortune. Instead it just highlights the fact that management was thoughtful and sensitive enough to do the right thing with certain groups, but not with others. I like to think that they just made a mistake, but maybe it does have something to do with the fact that PMUA MMs are likely the largest group and therefore might seem to be the costliest to reward.
would you be happier if UA gave 100% bonus miles instead of the 50% for normal new 1P?

I think the MM compromise is not too bad. Nor will UA flyers get shafted more than CO flyers in this scheme.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And as WHQ certainly do read these threads, they hopefully will have noticed this one has over 50,000 page views in less than 2 months. One just one thread on just one travel board.

As the subject matter pretty much only interests folks who have flown a million miles or more, that is a LOT of bad vibes out there from folks who still spend REAL money on UA.

From folks who in general are still flying a lot, and in the great majority are NOT HAPPY about recent changes.

As a reference, the accepted data point on the total numbers of 1Ks globally was around the 50,000 mark from figures Randy posted here.

As posted earlier, AA must be reading and hearing of this, and laughing their heads off at how these bozos have shot themselves in the foot over something that in effect, costs UA little. @:-)
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SF1K
Childish obsession? Really? Didn't UA's site for years promise me benefits if I reached 1 Million Miles on their metal? Now those benefits have totally changed and i'm supposed to be grateful?

Why don't you send me lots of money every year for the next 20 years and in the end I'll give you something that I promise you today, but wait I can change that promise at the end of that 20 years, but I don't have to give you back any of the money you gave me for 20 years.
Childish obsession because you are worried that someone else (CO people) are getting more than you. And the benefits have not totally changed. You were Premex and Star Gold before, and you are Premex and Star Gold after.

And the money you paid was to get you from point A to point B. Not to get your butt kissed year after year after year.

Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
I personally don't see the 'big whoop' about Star Gold. I travel internationally 4-5 times a year, and I'm yet to ever see a *G benefit that I wasn't already getting from either flying in C or F or taking advantage of directly from UA.
You are absolutely right in the case you mention. But for me, I use the LH group for short flights to eastern Europe, as well as Thai domestic trips on vacation. Plus other *A carriers on short connecting flights. In these cases with short flights I book economy and enjoy lounge access and extra baggage. It's a great benefit that I feel lucky to have.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 3, 2011 at 3:40 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez

You think Star partners globally will be pleased that THREE published UACon tiers can over-run their lounges globally??
I can see where combining the airlines results in a higher number of travelers with *A Gold status in circulation but I don't see how the introduction of the 75K tier does? There could be 10 tiers but if the requirement remains a minimum of 50k EQMs flown to reach Gold then nothing has really changed from the perspective of *A partners, no?

Last edited by CCIE_Flyer; Nov 3, 2011 at 1:23 pm Reason: Adding a dropped letter
Old Nov 3, 2011, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
If they're not buying tickets, they're not flying, and not using any of the perks offered to them.

You could give every homeless person in the country Global Services status. And it wouldn't matter at all.

How is the number of tiers relevant? If plat/1K didn't exist, all those fliers would be gold. 1 tier, same number of travelers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.